PDA

View Full Version : Had ofsted pre-reg visit today

liza
09-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi,

Had my pre-reg visit today and it went ok, but I wish it had gone better...

I got a bit confused :confused:

I think she said she is going to register me pending crb and health declaration,
but she said something about action points or action plan for 2 bookcases we've got on the landing (1 is too wobbly and the other makes the space at the top of the stairs too narrow).

There's also a few things we need to tidy / move and secure wires but none needed an action point or plan.
However she is only going to register 1 of the 3 bedrooms, but siad that only older children can play in there as my eldest son has a high bed and even then I need to be up there with them, unless parents sign a permission form etc. AND i can't put a travel cot in there for daytime naps as the room is not deemed safe for younger ones????? Even though they would only be in the travel cot and not actually playing in the room etc.

So I either need to find a way of registering another room at my next inspection or finding somewhere else for children to nap if needed.

She also said that I can'rt register the garden at present, we are doing work on it, so have just about finished the fencing and still need to topsoil then turf the whole garden and then arrange and secure climbing frame and trampoline. But did say I must ensure the children have access to fresh air and physical outside play when ever possible. We'll do 2 or 3 school runs a day so will visit a playground on the way home when needed etc.
When the garden is ready I just need to contact them and inform them the garden is now suitable and they'll make a decision then.

Now the bits I'm confused about :confused:
I have 2 children 1 is 5 in May and starts full time school in April, the other is 1 in April
This means I can only have 4 extra children of which no more than 1 can be 1-4.
But she also said that my eldest will count as being under 5 until August (as the EYFS goes up till the end of august following the school year in which they have their 5th birthday?)
I would have though he stops being under 5 on his 5th birthday- this will obviously effect my ratio's and which other children I can take.

She also wasn't impressed that I have a temporary arrangement to have my friends child already. I have her 2 times a week for 1 1/2 hrs each time. As it's under 2 hours a day I don't HAVE to be a registered childminder, but the inspector was emphasing the fact that I have to tell her that I am not registered yet, only in the process of doing it!!!!

She also commented that my visitors log said Childminding guest log and I can't use that as I'm not a registered childminder yet!!!

Overall, glad that bit's over with now!:clapping: :clapping:

Liz

sarah707
10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi,

Had my pre-reg visit today and it went ok, but I wish it had gone better...

I got a bit confused :confused:

I think she said she is going to register me pending crb and health declaration,

Yes that's normal you have to wait for those to come back... and they have to give themselves a get out for if there are any problems with either of them.

but she said something about action points or action plan for 2 bookcases we've got on the landing (1 is too wobbly and the other makes the space at the top of the stairs too narrow).

You can get ties that fix into the wobbly bookcase and screw into the wall... fair enough with the other one, there are buildings regulations about widths of corridors in houses.

There's also a few things we need to tidy / move and secure wires but none needed an action point or plan.

They often point these things out. I have cable tidies at the back of my computers and tvs (they are white and you twist wires into them.

However she is only going to register 1 of the 3 bedrooms, but siad that only older children can play in there as my eldest son has a high bed

They've never liked those high sleepers... I have friends with them and Ofsted won't register their bedrooms either.

and even then I need to be up there with them, unless parents sign a permission form etc.

Hmmm, that's odd. You wouldn't want to be upstairs with children if you have others downstairs would you? I'd just not use the bedroom. You could put a little hook and eye on the door and say you don't want it registered. Will solve a lot of messing about.

AND i can't put a travel cot in there for daytime naps as the room is not deemed safe for younger ones????? Even though they would only be in the travel cot and not actually playing in the room etc.

They can be funny with 'what if the child gets out of the travel cot' scenarios... again it's fairly usual. Is there anywhere else you can put the travel cot? What about your room? Is that big enough? Or in a separate downstairs room?? The Eyfs does say that sleeping children must be in quiet places, so you need to think about that one.

She also said that I can'rt register the garden at present, we are doing work on it, so have just about finished the fencing and still need to topsoil then turf the whole garden and then arrange and secure climbing frame and trampoline.

Once you are ready with that, I'd do a risk assessment and take a photo. Send it in with a cover letter and they will be fine. They might come for a look see but if you send a photo it's less likely.

But did say I must ensure the children have access to fresh air and physical outside play when ever possible. We'll do 2 or 3 school runs a day so will visit a playground on the way home when needed etc.

Yes this is a requirement we all have to follow. The eyfs says children should have a balance of indoor and outdoor play so you eventually need to be working towards them being outside for a lot of time each day (if they want to go out there of course). School runs are not really what they mean I'm afraid... they mean play experiences outside, such as taking role play out and getting exercise. I'm sure by the time the weather is better, your garden will be getting sorted anyway, so I wouldn't worry. CRBs can take months.

Now the bits I'm confused about :confused:
I have 2 children 1 is 5 in May and starts full time school in April, the other is 1 in April
This means I can only have 4 extra children of which no more than 1 can be 1-4.
But she also said that my eldest will count as being under 5 until August (as the EYFS goes up till the end of august following the school year in which they have their 5th birthday?)
I would have though he stops being under 5 on his 5th birthday- this will obviously effect my ratio's and which other children I can take.

As soon as a child starts FULL TIME 10 sessions a week school, they are classed as age 5 for the ratios. Clearly either she didn't explain it well or she's not up to date. Don't worry, you can sort it via the Ofsted phone line 08456 404040 if your certificate doesn't say what you expect. IF she's trying to cut down your numbers because she doesn't think your house is big enough or because you can't use your garden yet, then that's different altogether. I do think you need to clarify this one and find out exactly why she's said it.

She also wasn't impressed that I have a temporary arrangement to have my friends child already. I have her 2 times a week for 1 1/2 hrs each time. As it's under 2 hours a day I don't HAVE to be a registered childminder, but the inspector was emphasing the fact that I have to tell her that I am not registered yet, only in the process of doing it!!!!

No she wouldn't be. They take a very dim view of anyone minding for any time without being regisered. Don't worry about it, you're not doing anything illegal. Don't forget though that you're not insured...

She also commented that my visitors log said Childminding guest log and I can't use that as I'm not a registered childminder yet!!!

Hmmm, sounds like she was moving into picky mode. I wouldn't worry too much, you're doing well to have one.

Overall, glad that bit's over with now!:clapping: :clapping:

Liz

I hope this reassures you. Good luck with the registration! :D

liza
10-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks for replying,

Nice to see another view point..

Yes I did think she got into picky mode by the end. Husband has been out in the garden today and we've decided where to move the bookcases to, so hopefully we should get that all sorted before the crb comes back so will contact them as soon as its all done,
good point about sending risk assessment & photo's re garden to make it less likely that they'll need to visit!! or just have all the facts before they come out.

Liz

Annie_T
11-01-2009, 12:34 AM
well done hun, they like their action plans lol

i had a list to help me (3 headings) -

Job description Complete by Signature (when completed)

liza
11-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Thats a good idea, hopefully make it easier for me to see it as doing 1 step at a time and for ofsted to see how I've improved / changed things etc.

Liz

angeldelight
12-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Good advice from the others

Well done to you

Angel xx