PDA

View Full Version : What should I be asking?

Buzz Lightyear
09-01-2009, 11:34 AM
My potential mindee is coming tonight at 5. Have printed off various bits and bobs but just wondered what type of questions I should be asking her? I know she'll have plenty for me!

Annie_T
09-01-2009, 01:09 PM
this is what ive got on my telephone check list (for those who call and enquiry before meeting)

Name:

Telephone number:

Number of children:

Age of Children:

Sex/Names:

Days per Week:

Number of hours:

Times:

Start Date:

Temp/continued contract

then you could ask childs likes and dislikes, inform them of any pets etc heres my childs indivual needs sheet (actually filled out by parents for the childs file - but nowt wrong with askign them to the parent)

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Just be yourself and don't worry about talking too much about the child as mum will no doubt have questions.

I give a brief history of me and my family and most of the questions are answered within this.

Good luck

Buzz Lightyear
09-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Super dooper, thanks Debbie. In fact, it will make a change for someone else to do all the talking :D

sue m
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Agree with Debbie. I find it doesn't quite work like you expect, you chat and talk to the children and they go and you realize that you or they haven't asked all you wanted to. Have you got a welcome pack and a bit about you and your family so she can take it home and read it? Just realized Debbie said that too! I usually ask them to come a second time and of course if they think they will use your services, they will want to come back again anyway. Just be yourself - and tell her how gorgeous her child is!! LOL

Buzz Lightyear
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
What even if she's a monster, lol!!

Yes have a Welcome Pack. Really impressed my inspector yesterday :thumbsup: so hopefully with have the same effect on my potential.

Eeek, an hour and half to go! Gosh my head is banging already!!

sue m
09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
It's hard but try not to look nervous. She is coming to you and she will decide whether or not she wants her child to be with you. Well, if the child is a monster just say how lovely she is and if you don't like either of them, tell her you will let her know cos you have other people to see after her. If you don't like them, say you have taken another one on that suits you better, hours or whatever. She probably needs you more than you need her. I've always found that when they come we just sit there chatting and no business gets done! Maybe that's just me!!! You need to see them a couple of times I think to get a feel of whether the child is a screamer or the mum is a pain!!

Good luck, let us know asap!!!

Buzz Lightyear
09-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks Sue and will do :D

madasahatter
09-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I know it's hard when you are just starting out and you desperately want the business but if the child comes and is a nightmare ie wreck the place, or you get a bad feeling then follow your intuition. At the end of the day it is up to you who you take on and on what terms.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Children are rarely the same with you as they are their parents. Even if you have a bad one you can set boundaries and they will adapt - up to age 2 that is, after that it is harder but not impossible.

Let us know how you go.