PDA

View Full Version : First Aid box

mummyspice
08-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi Guys,
So sorry, I only ever seem to come on here when I want help:blush:
After my initial scare about my inspection the week before xmas, I've been trying to get everything in order for when she phones back:panic:
I need to know if we need specific items in our first aid boxes???
My bandages etc are out of date...lol....out of date:laughing:
Lisa x

donnadoo2004200
08-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi, just to let you know go to the childminding shop website. There is a full firstaid kit for childminders for £7 in sale in a nice red case too. Hope this helps

Peppa
08-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi, just to let you know go to the childminding shop website. There is a full firstaid kit for childminders for £7 in sale in a nice red case too. Hope this helps

wow thats great value, i ordered mine at 1st aid suppliers b4 christmas at almost £12.

Annie_T
08-01-2009, 11:00 PM
i went to local pharmacy said i need first aid box for house as becoming a cm and got one for £9.99 and it had everything i needed inspectorr was happy with it

rickysmiths
08-01-2009, 11:10 PM
First Aid kits should be green not red ,european standard is white background with a green cross for signs and green bags or boxes with a white cross I think thats why they always sell the red ones cheap.

If youre in a hurry use a lock and lock plastic lunch box available from tesco,waitrose prob sainsburys as well but we dont have one of those .

Go to your local chemist and buy a SMALL selection of bandages any dry dressings small in size for children, a triangular cotton bandage , a box of sterile adhesive bandages (make sure you have parents permission to use them )I have a pack with dinosaurs on .

Also a disposalble resus mask some disposable gloves and a pair of blunt ended sissors.

No medcines or creams and put the box out of the reach of children but easy for you or another adult to find. Mine is in the cupboard in the downstair ioo and i have a credit card size laminated sign on the door to show it is in the cupboard. OFSTED impressed with that and didnt even look at the kit.

Also have a small box in the bag you take whenever you go out and the boot .

For future ref the St John Amb. site is good for supplies.

The other thing I choose to have is a few pods of sterile water to clean a cut , you can use tap or bottled water though.

Hope this is not to rambling its late and the brain doesnt go a fast!

Sorry there are no set requirements the contents should 'reflect the work we do and our needs as a childminder'

maple
08-01-2009, 11:29 PM
mines orange and has the word childcare version on and i got mine from first aid course don't think it matters what colour it is.

Nicky
09-01-2009, 07:29 AM
I have just renewed my first aid and the box must now be green with a white cross on it. You can get the empty boxes in pound shops and then fill it with your things, I managed to get most of mine very reasonably in either pound shops or Home Bargains (if you have one near you).

All dressing etc in it must be in date too, as if bandages can go out of date. We use the old ones for role playing.

Hope this helps

Nicky

miffy
09-01-2009, 07:48 AM
I have just renewed my first aid and the box must now be green with a white cross on it.

Nicky

My first aid kit is stored in a clear plastic box - this was fine with the inspector.

You must make sure all the bandages etc are in date though

Miffy xx

sarah707
09-01-2009, 07:56 AM
mines orange and has the word childcare version on and i got mine from first aid course don't think it matters what colour it is.

So is mine! Probably from the same course LOL!

Nicky, where does it say that they must be green please? :D

custardcream
09-01-2009, 08:10 AM
I was also told on my first-aid course in the summer that the box now has to be green with a white cross.
I thought it was daft and have not seen this written anywhere but they insisted that it needs to be green.

miffy
09-01-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm going on my first aid course soon - I'll see what they say.

I can't see that it matters what colour the box is - surely it's what's inside that counts

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Mine are all in a roses tin in the top of the cupboard and ofsted are ok with this.

I also have a pair of tweezers and gloves.

Jules12Wed
09-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm on first aid course next Saturday.

I did have a list of what we needed in first aid box from my network co-ordinator I had in stuck on the inside of cupboard where first aid box was but since my kitchen has been redecorated I'm not sure where it has gone i'll get in touch with her and see if I can get another copy. I know some of the things that I needed I had to order from Tescos as there were very speciific things that needed to be included.

Having said that on my last inspection she never mentioned first aid let along look in the box!!!

rickysmiths
09-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Green and white has been the standard for the last26 years at least just because people sell others doesnt mean their right.

Their are some nuts walking on ice covered lakes at the moment doesnt mean we all do it

I am sinical about some of the first aid courses as well. Did mine in Nov last and the woman advised all of us to have an empty biro case in our kits in case we had to do an emergecy traciotomy:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats because our authority have chosen a cheaper provider and the above isn't the only horror. Some of us are trying to get it changed. It was my 5th course but if youre a newbie :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway Ive had my morning rant!!!!!!!! off on the school and nursery runs now and we are minus 2 plus fog :eek: :

Sorry just seen the tweezers thing we have always been told they are a big NONO just goes to show we're all being told different stuff.

sarah707
09-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Sorry just seen the tweezers thing we have always been told they are a big NONO just goes to show we're all being told different stuff.

You are absolutley right... tweezers must not be kept in your childminding first aid kit.

You are not allowed to do anything invasive on a child... it is considered abuse... and poking about with tweezers might break the skin.

Current advice for removing stings is to use a credit card and flick it out. If this does not work, get parents to take the child to the doctor.

If the child gets a splinter, cover it with a non-fluffy self adhesive dressing (written permission required) and let parents deal with it.

Don't forget to update your risk assessments to cover these possibilities!

Hope this clarifies :D

mabel
09-01-2009, 11:16 AM
my older mindies use the out of date bandages, triangles etc for playing hospitals with, plus I have shown then how to do bandaging properly
they love it when we have out first aid/hospital days

..................and I let them go home all bandaged up

we laugh at their parents faces too when they come to collect them !

Nicky
09-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I was told at the first aid course that it must be a green box with white cross on, but I guess if Ofsted are ok with any colour etc then no need to buy new ones.

Tweezers are a definite NO as others have said.

Nicky

misst104
09-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi there,

I also did a first aid course at the end of decenber for childminders and our course leader sial the box HAS TO be green with white cross. Same about pens and tweezers - big No No! x x x