PDA

View Full Version : tried SEF - now i'm scared!

butterfly
08-01-2009, 08:45 PM
oh my goodness! i've just tried to fill in my sef and got a huge shock!

it's really hard! i had prepared stuff on the 5 areas of ecm but not for the rest! now i realise i'm going to have to rethink loads! i just want to get it done but now it looks a million years off!

what have people done about grading themselves? obviously we'd all like an outstanding but do you actualy grade yourselves as that? or is it better to put good or do they therefore settle for this when they inspect? will they be more likely to look at the outstanding bracket if that's what you put on your sef? i try everything i possibly can to be outstanding but i don't want to look big headed! however you could say that if you don't put yourself out there no one will take notice!!

Jules12Wed
08-01-2009, 09:43 PM
I tried back in September last year, really confident I'd go in and complete it but when I saw how much writing was expected of you and no just ticks or yes and no I came out of it and haven't looked at it since, I guess I should!!

Chatterbox Childcare
08-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Haven't even looked at it yet - it is down the "To Do" list somewhere

sue
08-01-2009, 10:49 PM
just spent xmas holiday doing mine:panic: and l am only half way thought it, it just goes on forever and l feel as l an repeating myself again and again............ :angry: :( :( had to walk away from it at 10.30 pm tonight!!!!!!!! do they read it all

haven't thought about grading myself yet but think if l put outstanding ofsted would look harder for pit falls (still think l'm outstanding well if l don't say it no one else will):laughing: :laughing:

Peppa
08-01-2009, 10:51 PM
How long after registering do you have to fill one in?

Jules27
08-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I filled mine out and am glad I did. Yes it took forever, I did leave a few pages blank as had no idea what to put. Some sections later on overlap earlier sections a bit. My inspector was all for paperwork and was well pleased I had filled mine out - it meant she asked me hardly any questions, just left me to it with my mindee.

I graded myself as honestlyas possible, I made it a GOOD overall and so did she. I had marked a couple of areas as outstanding but she did not but I was pleased with my result. Afterall, I had only been minding 3 months with no previous experience of childcare other than being a mother!!!

Don't get yourself worked up about it, my friend didn't do hers and also got graded GOOD. Just go through and answer what you can - make sure you use the guidence notes. If you get stuck on anything ask the forum!!:)