PDA

View Full Version : Observations

donnadoo2004200
08-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi, can anyone tell me how often we should fill out a observation sheet for each child? I started this week but havent filled any out yet.

rickysmiths
08-01-2009, 08:32 PM
opinions seem to vary but with 7 children on my books I'm aiming for one a term each.

donnadoo2004200
08-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Oh thats good news, I have a bit of time yet, but Im sure OFSTED are going to call soon, will they want to see some do you think?

sarah707
08-01-2009, 08:55 PM
You need to build up a range of observations across the 6 areas of learning and development... you have all the time the child is with you to do this.

Some weeks you might spot lots of things to write down and other weeks might be a bit dull with not a lot going on.

Don't forget though, when you first take on a child you are actively looking at what they do / say / how they act etc so you can sort out their 'starting points' which you will discuss with parents. This makes sure you are all working with the same aims in mind.

Hth :D

donnadoo2004200
08-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks Sarah. I got the parents to fill out a all about me form before he came and she gave it back almost empty. She said he has no fav toys or foods or things he likes. Very unhelpful. The child is very good never crys 11 months old but always looks so sad never smiles either, tried my hardest with him this week. Dont know what to try next week. I think parents just happy with someone to look after him and dosent seem interested what he does or what Im trying to do.