PDA

View Full Version : any ideas for activities for 7 and 10yr olds

hazelkatejackson
26-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Hi all
Ive just recently taken on 2 children aged 7 and 10 and im use to looking after the younger ones!

i only have them for 2 hours after school, thats not such a problem,

but it comming up 2 the school holidays an i will have the both full time ish. just wounderd what we can do in our time, i also have my own little boy whos 10months so it has to work in with him.

Any ideas PLEASE!!

Hazel

sarah707
26-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Hazel... welcome!

There was a thread about this just recently... I think the main thoughts were to ask the children what they want!

I know Hama beads are popular, plus big jigsaws, board games etc

Have a browse around and see what you can find... talk soon x:D

emler
26-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Hazel

I find that the older kids love to do arty/crafty things as much as the younger ones. We also do jigsaws, games, baking, supervised internet access, books etc.

Emler x

Trouble
26-01-2008, 07:11 PM
nature in the garden, under stones? spring whats growing, baby animals birds, frogs , etc and its free, go to the park take rubbings on the tree, stones etc, sorry thinking as i go along!!

Trouble
26-01-2008, 07:19 PM
try this website www.naturedetectives.org.uk

mamapink
26-01-2008, 11:57 PM
hi my two girlies are these ages
i have kept them and their friends entertained this weekend with

cooking ,making their own pizzas always goes down well as does as fairy cakes,brownies etc

the internet, board games,
any thing quite arty as at this age there is not much time for it in schools
so it can be a rare treat

painting,drawing on a cheap t shirt ,even play dough will get them remembering the easy days at nursery

make a camp

make them perform a play/stuffed toy show to entertain the baby and your self

if you are going to watch a dvd get them to make up tickets place popcorn in paper cups design a poster and turn the front room into the local pictures

in the end i got my eldest and her friend to wash my car for a couple of quid and a chocolate bar each

but as for boys i am a bit stuck the eldest schools friends who are boys are pretty much computer games, football (much like my 32 year old )

good luck

sarah707
27-01-2008, 09:27 AM
hi my two girlies are these ages
i have kept them and their friends entertained this weekend with
cooking ,making their own pizzas always goes down well as does as fairy cakes,brownies etc
the internet, board games,
any thing quite arty as at this age there is not much time for it in schools
so it can be a rare treat
painting,drawing on a cheap t shirt ,even play dough will get them remembering the easy days at nursery
make a camp
make them perform a play/stuffed toy show to entertain the baby and your self
if you are going to watch a dvd get them to make up tickets place popcorn in paper cups design a poster and turn the front room into the local pictures
in the end i got my eldest and her friend to wash my car for a couple of quid and a chocolate bar each
but as for boys i am a bit stuck the eldest schools friends who are boys are pretty much computer games, football (much like my 32 year old )
good luck

Thank you for sharing all this! What a lovely first post as well!!

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and say don't forget to pop into 'say hello' and introduce yourself if you haven't already!

Talk soon x :D

hazelkatejackson
27-01-2008, 02:53 PM
THANK YOU ALL

for your replies, i suppose its much the same with the older ones but learning alittle more appropiate to there age!

iv asked the children to write ideas for what they'd like to do in the school holidays, but sometimes you get the big expensive thingslike trips etc.

Thank you all again, for sharing your ideas

hazel