PDA

View Full Version : What More

Pipsqueak
08-01-2009, 07:19 PM
can go wrong for my family.
My sister got a call from my mums neighbour to say something was wrong with the house this morning.
Sis got up there to find the bungalow totally flooded, ankle deep and walls looking like a waterfall - the council think there may have been a small leak from above, which has got into a certain socket (which is blackened and split) which has shorted out and consquently the gas has gone of so the pipes have frozen and then cracked further causing extensive damage.

My sister isn't going to tell mum at the moment as she is still quite poorly in hospital. Council can't say when they can get in to start repairs etc as they are having to hire in equipment as so many people have suffered burst pipes. A surveyor has got to go in first to assess the damage. Poor mum doesn't have insurance (which is no probs, the family will rally) but honestly anything more to be thrown at us:eek:

sue m
08-01-2009, 07:21 PM
OMG that's terrible. Best not to tell her. My Mum and Dad once came to London and spent 2 weeks with me for Christmas and when they got home their house was flooded too and they didn't have insurance either. Will your Mum be in hospital for long? I hope they don't mess about for too long and get on with the work.

cher25
08-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Sorry to hear about that. The council should have been prepared for this kind of thing and already have the equipment.
Hope they get it sorted out really soon and that thing's start to look up for you.

angeldelight
08-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Oh sorry to hear that pip

We are the same at the moment when we are getting over one thing something else seems to happen

I really feel for your sister it must have been terrible for her to find your moms home like that

Hope the damage is not that bad

Hope your mom gets well soon too

Angel xx

Twinkles
08-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Oh no! :( Maybe they will be able to sort it before she gets home. Will she go to your sisters when she gets out of hospital ?
Hope she gets well soon.

crazybones
08-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Oh Pip you are certainly having a time of it lately. :( Hope it is sorted quickly. Wine?

Pipsqueak
08-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Hospital aren't sure how long they are going to keep her in for - her breathing is not so great they have upped to her 40% somethings to do with her oxygen. My sister says she looks brighter but still not eating much but on the plus side her diabetes is stable.

Mum won't be able to go back home until the place is 100% right - mould spores and damp could prove fatal for her. (She has a severe respiritory problem - she can't even go near someone with a cold). She can stay at my sisters thankfully. My poor sister does so much already for mum (quite willingly and without grudge etc), but she sounded quite defeated and exhausted today. I so wish I was nearer to help out.

rickysmiths
08-01-2009, 07:29 PM
That is really terrible. I.m sorry.

Though when I bought my first flat 25yrs ago my m&d drummed into me to always have insurance.

Now my d is on his own and in his eighties i know if he said he couldn't afford insurance my sis and I would chip in and pay for it for the piece of mind.

sarah707
08-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Oh Pip I'm sorry that's an awful thing to happen. Hopefully the council will sort something soon.

Don't worry about your mum not eating... she won't eat while she can't breathe. If it's a battle between breathing and swallowing, breathing always wins. They should be giving her that build you up milk in the hospital. If not, you can get it from the doc on script.

Sending hugs xx

LisaH
08-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Aw pip what a rubbiish start to the year your having. Really hope you get your mum's place sorted quickly and your mum makes a speedy recovery. xx

Monkey1
08-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Oh no, that is terrible!!!

Mollymop
08-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Oh gosh, your poor sister! I hope she is ok
What more indeed??? Hopefully the bad luck will end now