PDA

View Full Version : How to get mindees?

singlewiththree
08-01-2009, 01:09 PM
I've been registered since Christmas (I know not long) however I am finishing my temporary cleaning job on 9th Feb as I'm having a boy a couple of days in half term but then it will be back to nothing. Any tips on getting some children. So far I am

1. At the top of the CIS website as keep updating it weekly
2. Postcards in the local newsagents and postoffices windows.
3. Leaflet at toddlers - can only go to 1 as working the other days
4. Liased with local childminders who have said they will forward people on if they cant help.

Is there any thing else I can do as I really want to get started.

FizzysFriends
08-01-2009, 01:14 PM
How about local schools, doctors, maternity unit etc?

jellytot
08-01-2009, 01:28 PM
word of mouth i find is the best, get known at the school, playgroups, toddler groups.

jibberjitz
08-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi,

These are some of the ones I am to target once I get registered:- Pre-schools, playgroups, schools, local businesses, soft play centres, library, doctors/midwife/health visitors

Hope you get some mindee's soon,

Liz

NAOMIM221
08-01-2009, 02:00 PM
I did a leaflet drop on my estate and they produced a good lot of enquiries.

Naomi

sarah707
08-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Did you see this thread? :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4171&highlight=advertising

Dotty
08-01-2009, 07:04 PM
What about your local Children's Centre??? or Family Information Service??

singlewiththree
12-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I did a leaflet drop on my estate and they produced a good lot of enquiries.

Naomi

Did the enquiries transpire into anything? I'm thinking of doing one around here.

NAOMIM221
12-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I got about 10 enquiries and two of them came off, plus I also have a magnetic sign on my front door advertising my service which I brought off vista print. An I have many people knocking the door as they have seen my sign.

Naomi

rickysmiths
12-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I got about 10 enquiries and two of them came off, plus I also have a magnetic sign on my front door advertising my service which I brought off vista print. An I have many people knocking the door as they have seen my sign.

Naomi

You need to be very careful putting any advertizing on you door or at the front of the house. I would be a bit concerned from a safeguarding children aspect. Also you are prob breaking planning rules by advertizing a business on a residential property and they could shut you down.

PLEASE check this.

Ripeberry
12-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Naomi, someone beat me to it. But yes, you should NEVER advertise from your house only from your car. Why do you think Ofsted never publish the childminder's names and addresses? It is a HUGE security risk and as said before you could be breaking planning laws.

NAOMIM221
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I didn't realise, I've took it off my door now, I had my first inspection last week and the inspector commented on how good the sign was on my door not that I shouldn't have it on there. An the inpsector who came to see me about my conservatory being added onto my certificate also added how good it was too and never said that I shouldn't have it up. Anyway I've took it down now on you advise.

Naomi

rickysmiths
12-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Sorry didnt mean to upset you.

NAOMIM221
12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
You haven't upset me, I'm glad someone has pointed it out, just can't understand why two Ofsted inspectors haven't pulled me up about it.

Its off the door now anyway, thanks for the advise.

Naomi

Pipsqueak
12-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Its not a case of someone or something specific saying that you shouldn't advertise on the home property (after all your car is nearly always parked outside your house or on the driveway and if that has advetising on then it wouldn't be too hard for someone to match up the home to the advert, and again you don't know who your neighbours or client/parents are telling about who you are and where you live). Advertising because its a residential property is perhaps a different matter though and I don't know the in's and outs of that - although I have seen plenty of residential places advertising their business).

Its a matter of thinking about it from a safeguarding point of view isn't it and personal preference. After all pre-schools, nurseries etc only have more or less the same security on their premises as we do - locked doors, you check to see who is asking for access. People can quite clearly see children coming in and out of your premises - with you, with their parents. So long as you take all reasonable steps to safeguard the children in your home and you feel comfortable - and Ofsted have not said anything about it then.....

Personally I don't have a sign up but this is because my house already resembles a nursery!!! - but I know other minders who have A boards, signs in windows.

nell57
12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Good advice already given on where to advertise.

It was 3 months before I had any enquiries after advertising most places like this. Then had 3 sign in the same week. 2 came from post cards in newsagents/post office and one from cis.

It is frustrating while you wait, but try hang in there.

Good luck and fingers crossed it will happen soon:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
12-01-2009, 12:33 PM
I've been registered since Christmas (I know not long) however I am finishing my temporary cleaning job on 9th Feb as I'm having a boy a couple of days in half term but then it will be back to nothing. Any tips on getting some children. So far I am

1. At the top of the CIS website as keep updating it weekly
2. Postcards in the local newsagents and postoffices windows.
3. Leaflet at toddlers - can only go to 1 as working the other days
4. Liased with local childminders who have said they will forward people on if they cant help.

Is there any thing else I can do as I really want to get started.

I have been on some excellent business training over the last 6ys run by this company, just had a letter in the post 5mins ago!

They run a courses on how to run your business, also one on workng with parents which was very good and the one on offer today is ' Marketing for Childminders' right up your street.:laughing:
Key objectives: Planning for the future, Price is right, and Promoting your business.

Thier email is childcare@a4e.co.uk Tel. 0845 121 5181

I have been on courses in Hillingdon NW LOndon and now here in Hertfodshire where young in herts run them for us free. They are held on a Saturday and last all day. Might be worth giving them a ring and see if they do anything in your area if not contact your training dept and ask them to organize for one to be run.:jump for joy: :laughing: