PDA

View Full Version : Re: Planning and activities and parent feedback

patevans
08-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Had a parent input sheet back off D's mum this morn - hes age 20ths

She would like him to do more reading and counting to help progress his vocab more and also new vegetables because he is becoming very picky with his food!!

So what can I do to help with this? I will share a copy of my short term plan with her which has been done to end of Jan, will this need to be changed to accomodate her input?

We have some library visits planned to collect books to go with our theme, what else can I do?

cherry
08-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Is there anything on this site that would help?

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/md/index.html

Mrs.L.C
08-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Tots groups (if u dont already do them) should help with his vocab as he will be around others to talk to and hearing others talk.

Flash cards will help him learn new words.

General conversation about what you are doing and naming things.Count the toys as u play like the duplo and cars.

Do you provide the meals? If so you could try mixing more veg in the meals you make like in spaghetti bolognese, cottage pie, casserole. (I usualy add courgette, carrot, onion, ,mushroom and I grate some of it so they dont see it as easily.

Do a tasting session of dif veg (small amounts) which every ones joins in. Maybe make a face shape with them to make it fun

Hope that helps

patevans
08-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Tots groups should help with his vocab as he will be around others to talk to and hearing others talk.

Flash cards will help him/her learn new words.

General conversation about what you are doing and naming things.

Do you provide the meals? If so you could try mixing more veg in the meals you make like in spaghetti bolognese, cottage pie, casserole. (I usualy add courgette, carrot, onion, ,mushroom and I grate some of it so they dont see it as easily.

Hope that helps

We had the flash cards out this morning and I have just put up some new abc and 123 posters which he keeps asking whats that??

Have printed out a number match mat from sparkle box and some other bits, will chat with her tonight.

Mrs.L.C
08-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Just inform her everything u do is around play and you can bring what shes asked for into the playing

miffy
08-01-2009, 02:24 PM
There might be some ideas here for you for numbers

www.dltk-teach.com/numbers/index.html

www.preschoolexpress.com/number_station.shtml

You could make a number counting book with him - I'd only do 1 to 5 - so on each page put a number and picture to match (use whatever he's interested in atm so 1 car, 2 aeroplanes etc)

Cut out some large numbers and let him stick and glue to decorate them

Cover large number templates with different tactile materials for him to play with

Cut out and laminate some numbers hide them in shredded paper for him to find

Sing number rhymes

Count with him whatever you're doing

With the books - get different types of books - ask parent to bring books from home so you can share the same story with him

Make your own book about what you've been doing with him

HTH's

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
08-01-2009, 02:57 PM
When you share your plans with parent I would be asking them what they are doing.

Do the count srairs and steps, do they spot different colour cars/ buses as they walk or drive , talk about how many fingers and toes when having a bath or dressing, colours of coat jumper trousers, the colour of the sky etc etc.

We prob all do this sort of thing all day every day without thinking but it never ceases to surprise me these days how few parents think to do it with their children.

Good luck

Chatterbox Childcare
08-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Regarding the food I would compile a list of vegetables and ask her what she has tried and was has worked. it is no good you doing this and then her not following it up.

Do you read each day? Counting stairs, numbers of steps on the pavement etc is what he should be doing at the moment. I am sure that when you do your everyday activities you count - gloves on 1, 2nd hand 2 etc...

I am not sure what mum expects of you as he is still very young.

Maybe a meeting together outside of working hours to discuss would be better than guessing.

patevans
08-01-2009, 04:58 PM
When you share your plans with parent I would be asking them what they are doing.

Do the count srairs and steps, do they spot different colour cars/ buses as they walk or drive , talk about how many fingers and toes when having a bath or dressing, colours of coat jumper trousers, the colour of the sky etc etc.

We prob all do this sort of thing all day every day without thinking but it never ceases to surprise me these days how few parents think to do it with their children.

Good luck

I do all of these things naturally anyway so haven't planned to do this sort of thing, I have planned for his interests which is transport and balls. Going to have a chat when she comes!!