PDA

View Full Version : mindee only eats pasta

JoanneP
07-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Any advice/suggestions.

I have a new mindee little boy age 3. When he came for settling in mum explained he only eats pasta with butter stired through for every meal. Apparently he has gradually stopped eating other things. He will eat cheese/banana/crisps and a few other bits. But no other meals. I am really struggling I have tried making different types of pasta (tuna, macaroni cheese etc) but he wont even try it. He has also never had a routine so just eats as and when through the day which is difficult as other children are in a routine and I have a school run in the afternoon.

He actually seems scared of some foods and when I gave him grapes and clementines for snack he didn't know what to do with it and said it was stuck in his mouth as he had never eaten it before he wouldn't chew. Should I suggestion mum takes him to docs to discuss.

sarah707
07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I think mum needs to make an urgent meeting with her health visitor. Sounds like the poor little soul hasn't learned to chew.

I wonder if there was a problem at the weaning stage?

As far as the routine goes, you can certainly insist on that! Offer food he will eat because he's got to be fed, but let him know that there are certain times through the day when you all sit down together and eat.

Maybe a visual timetable would help him to see ... you go on the school run, you play toys, you wash hands, you eat food... that sort of thing.

For snack you could offer him tiny tastes of smooth things like chicken soup or fromage frais - not loads, just a spoon at a time and see how he gets on but for main meals for now give him his pasta... you're not going to change the habits of his lifetime quickly.

Good luck! xx

katickles
07-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I agree with Sarah - HV need to be involved IMO.

Poor liitle mite - Its going to be a real toughy to change those kind of habits. Do give him meals/snacks at the same time as you would do usually though - it also might encourage him to eat the same as the others eventually.

Good luck x

Chatterbox Childcare
07-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Sarah has it in a nut shell. I wouldn't be offering food on demand, so at 3 he should be able to sit with the others at mealtimes and he will soon get used to the fact that you eat when it is there or be hungry. If hungry, he may even try something new!

rickysmiths
07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Poor thing makes you wonder what the parents eat, does he have any siblings?

I would only offer food at set snack and meal times. Its not surprising he wont eat at meal times if he hasnt been taught about them and he wont have an appetite if he grazes through the day.

I have never had this extreme but I have noticed over the years that boys are much more lazy when it comes to chewing my own sun included but you just have to plod on they soon learn if they are hungry.

Is he growing properly?

talk to the health visitor and doctor to make sure there are no underlying health or dental problems

I think the moral is some parents take the soft route not all of us have the same instincts or life examples when it comes to our children .

I guess all we can do is support and guide and provide a routine while in our care.

Good luck keep us posted with how things go.

mandy moo
08-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Poor thing makes you wonder what the parents eat, does he have any siblings?

I would only offer food at set snack and meal times. Its not surprising he wont eat at meal times if he hasnt been taught about them and he wont have an appetite if he grazes through the day.

I have never had this extreme but I have noticed over the years that boys are much more lazy when it comes to chewing my own sun included but you just have to plod on they soon learn if they are hungry.

Is he growing properly?

talk to the health visitor and doctor to make sure there are no underlying health or dental problems

I think the moral is some parents take the soft route not all of us have the same instincts or life examples when it comes to our children .

I guess all we can do is support and guide and provide a routine while in our care.

Good luck keep us posted with how things go.

I guess it also in some cases depends on their experience with children, and their own home life when they were young.
I have found in the various settings Ive worked in some parents wont have anything to do with HV's etc as they see them as busy bodies etc although they can be a great source of information..
we have friends that, for example, when thie kids were really young, mum took the the gerkin out of the burger thwey were eating, when I asked why the reply is because I (mum) dont like it!

Ripeberry
08-01-2009, 04:43 PM
My eldest daughter now aged 6yrs old will eat school dinners and will try most things and eats lots of veg/fruit and loves brocoli (seriously!)
But potatoes, chips and anything like that is really hated and she was like that as a baby.
Her favourite is pasta and she would eat it everyday if she was allowed to.
My youngest daughter (aged 4yrs), will eat most things but hates cheese of any kind (just like her dad) and although we keep chickens they won't eat eggs.
But i find that peer pressure makes a big difference in what children eat and of course no child would starve themselves;)

aly
08-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Any advice/suggestions.

I have a new mindee little boy age 3. When he came for settling in mum explained he only eats pasta with butter stired through for every meal. Apparently he has gradually stopped eating other things. He will eat cheese/banana/crisps and a few other bits. But no other meals. I am really struggling I have tried making different types of pasta (tuna, macaroni cheese etc) but he wont even try it. He has also never had a routine so just eats as and when through the day which is difficult as other children are in a routine and I have a school run in the afternoon.

He actually seems scared of some foods and when I gave him grapes and clementines for snack he didn't know what to do with it and said it was stuck in his mouth as he had never eaten it before he wouldn't chew. Should I suggestion mum takes him to docs to discuss.

Can I put my 2p worth in please.
This sounds like my son {he will be 4 in feb]. when he was a baby he was a fab eater, since he was about 2 and half, he stopped eating. He will only eat pasta/spaghetti with no sauce. Cooked dinners, he will only eat yorkshire pudding. he will eat chips and nuggets and other 'bland' things like that even pizza, but give him a proper meal and nope wont eat it. i got so worried i spoke to my hv who basically shrugged it off. {he doens't look starved etc.

he had his pre-school check the other week and again i mentioned it and again this hv wasnt too worried because he looked normal etc. it is so frustrating because he wont eat. <My eldest is like a dustbin, and my daughter [17mo] was fed the baby led way with weaning and even though she eats little it will be a big variety compared ot my ds2.

its not wlays the parents fault, and believe me i do blame myself because I, am picky eater but not my partner.

cuddlybunny38
08-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi Aly your son sounds just like mine and he is 16 now, only difference is he doesnt like pasta. All I was told when he was little if I spoke to doctors( he has a consultant at addenbrooks as he has a liver/ lung illness) all they said was he will eat when he is hungry if he isnt under weight its not a problem. He is still relly picky now, xmas dinner for him was a few chips, turkey and 2 yorkshire puds nothing else even no pudding. I just dont get stressed now although thats easeir with an older child then a younger one. Good luck with him. Sharon

aly
08-01-2009, 06:24 PM
yeah thats what she said, they will eat when hungry...
this parenting lark is hard eh :panic: