PDA

View Full Version : Advice URGENT

donnadoo2004200
07-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi can anybody please advise me. I had a parent come today with a 7 month old boy, she already told me over the phone he has problems with his legs (stiff) caused by ms (she thinks not diagnosed yet). When I was talking to her today I asked if he had naps during the day, only for her to tell me he sometimes stops breathing when sleeping and you need to tickle his feet if this happens. I felt really sorry for her as she is one parent and desperate to get back to work because of money. She told me she had tried a few other minders but they did not want to know. It would be for 3 days a week 10 hours a day. What do you think? I have had no training on children with dissabilities but I am willing to learn. I only started minding on Monday this week, I will also have a 2 yr old at the same time. Please advise.

Annie_T
07-01-2009, 05:44 PM
tough on tbh as it seems s scary and a do or dont take him on.

end day you need think of the mindees you have already - how it effect them.

you could agree to caring for him on a months or few weeks trial to see how you go etc

then say yes or no

x

jellytot
07-01-2009, 05:44 PM
i think you need to meet the child and discuss openly with his parent the full extent of his needs. only then can you make a decission on whether you feel you will be able to manage.

as for his sleepy time can he sleep in the same room you are in so you can keep a full eye on him.

sorry not been much help i'm sure someone will be along who will be able to advise more

SimplyLucy
07-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Does the baby have an apnoea alarm when he sleeps?

My daughter suffered with apnoea when she was a baby, she used to wear an alarm at all times. The alarm monitored her breathing and used to go off when she stopped. The sound of the alarm was enough to make her breathe again most times.

Surely if the baby has sleep apnoea then he is being monitored by the GP and probably a consultant at the hospital. Sounds like they are investigating other issues anyhow. You should be able to get advice via the mother from them as part of a care plan.

Just so you know my daughters apnoea was sovled when at 18 months a growth was discovered in her throat, attached to the back of her tonsil. It was blocking her airway. She had her tonsils out at 20 months old, taking the growth with them and has been fine ever since. She also began eating lumps too as before she could only manage pureed runny foods.

madasahatter
07-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I would possibly have a long discussion with the mum, get her to bring LO on a few visits so you can see her in action. If you are concerned about the medical side of things ask mum if she is willing to make a doctors appointment where you can go too to discuss the child's needs and any potential training you may need.
I would stress to mum that you are willing to consider taking on her child but you need a lot more information so that you can weigh up the effect it will have on your current routine and whether you are personally up to the job.
I would also consider speaking to your childminding development worker as they will have info and can poss help if you aretaking on a child with additional and medical needs.

donnadoo2004200
07-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Im just in a bit of a panick because what if he stops breathing while im sorting other child or not watching at that moment. It ok for him to sleep in the same room as me but should I keep other hildren quiet? is it fair to?. I really cant think straight at the moment.

donnadoo2004200
08-01-2009, 09:10 PM
I think im going to not take this child as I think in the future it may impact on other children I care for.

Pipsqueak
08-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I think that is a big ask of someone who has just started minding but ultimately the decision is yours (I know I am coming to this late).
I think its wrong of her to drop this into conversation rather than have bought it up in initial conversation but I can understand her desparation she may be feeling after being refused elsewhere.

It may be worth referring her back to CIS/FIS who may be able to hook her up with a minder who has not many children, even talk to your CDO to see if there is a CFC network or similar.

FizzysFriends
08-01-2009, 09:33 PM
My daughter too used to stop breathing in her sleep (I can't spell the proper word) (had op and all sorted now), it was scary the first time but once I knew what was happening and talk it all through with the dr its was just one of those things. If you are still concidering it may be you could arrange an appointment with the childs dr to run through things.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-01-2009, 09:54 PM
I would speak to your local Development officer and get advice - you need a care plan from the Health Visitor, know the exact problems, triggers and then check with your insurance company.

There will be back up there in place, accessing it is the difficult bit.

donnadoo2004200
08-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I dont want to be mean but is all this really worth £3 hr, and I really dont think I yet have the experience having never worked with a special needs child.

angeldelight
08-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I dont want to be mean but is all this really worth £3 hr, and I really dont think I yet have the experience having never worked with a special needs child.

Working with special needs can be a joy and very rewarding

With you only just starting minding maybe you should just concentrate on getting more confident so in the future you might be able to deal better with a situation like this one ?

Angel xx

donnadoo2004200
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I totally agree they can be a joy and rewarding, if you have the experience to deal with these children. If you do not it can be quite frightening especially as they are other peoples children we are dealing with not our own.
I have now phoned the parent to tell her I will not be taking the child, explaining she should call the CIS for more advice and gave her the number.