PDA

View Full Version : Childminding if your own child has chickenpox?

essexgirl1967
07-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone, just thought I'd come on here and ask some opinions for a problem that hasn't yet ( but might soon!) arise. My own DS who is 3 attends playgroup, and it appears that virtually the whole class have come down with chicken pox in last few days. I childmind only before and after schoolers, most of which have probably had chickenpox already. My question is, if or rather when my DS comes out in spots, should I contact all the parents and say that I am unable to childmind for a week or so, or somehow try and still childmind, if the parents want me to? How would I cope with school runs etc, would I be allowed to take a spotty child in a buggy into the school playground? Its just there is a severe shortage of childminders in my area and me having a week off would cause the parents a HUGE amount of hassle and not sure if its worth trying to plan ahead and have some sort of idea how I'd cope if need be. Or is there any Environmental Health ruling that I cannot childmind with an infectious illness in the house, even with the parents permission? many thanks,
Karen x

aly
07-01-2009, 02:02 PM
this is an interesting question so I will watch for replies. my friends son has chicken pox this week and my 3 havent had it yet so im waiting for it to come out to, although when my eldest sons class had it he didnt??

sarah707
07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
I'd give parents the choice, wrap your child up and he'll be fine in the buggy on school runs etc.

Only trouble is, if others catch it, their parents might well expect you to work!!

It's good to get it young, I was a teenager and still remember it was awful.

charleyfarley
07-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Mindees mom came on Monday to say he'd been in contact with chicken pox new years eve so we are waiting to see if spots appear.

I'd be quite happy if my 2 got it now iykwim as Sarah says it's better to get it when they are younger.

I got it in my late 20s and it was awful, wouldn't wish it on anyone

Carol xx

FizzysFriends
07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I'd give the parents the choice. Some parents want their children to get it and over and done with (twice in my DD's case).

Andrea08
07-01-2009, 02:52 PM
i agree its parents choice, but in my case i had to send a mindee home because the other mindee was too young to be catcing chickenpox,,
if my children are ill i tell parents but if my kids are too ill to go to school then they too ill to be out of bed(big full stop. lol)

Alibali
07-01-2009, 07:02 PM
I'd let the parents decide, as long as it's not stopping your usual routine for other mindees i.e. toddler groups and things then it should be fine, but as previously said once the precidence is set you'll be doing the same for future.

roseybev
07-01-2009, 07:39 PM
i do babies and after school and ive minded kids with chicken pox as long as they are well and that my parents are all ok with it ,my parents wanted there kids to get them so that they are out the way .but remember get it in writing if all parents say its ok just to cover your back and i stayed in most of the time when the kids had it .but they had already got it or picked it up from play group,school,

loocyloo
07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
my children have both had it whilst i've been minding ( but not at the same time LOL! )

each time, as they were ok in themselves and up for school runs etc, i was available to work, but happy not to have child if parent wanted to keep them away! but then also said i couldn't have child if not up to doing school runs etc ( we walk, and i wasn't going to put big child in pushchair! ) those that cuaght it from mine had it quite badly, and needed to be at home resting! another child had blisters all over hands that got infected (whilst at home!) , and i said unless they were completely covered/healed, i couldn't have child as i would be too worried about further infection!

x

Clever Clogs
07-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi there

I've been in this situation only recently. Mid Oct my dd caught it so phoned round all the parents to tell them. I gave them the option if they wanted their children to attend or not. All did. I explained about the likehood of my ds catching it and prob their kids. 2 had had it and the other 2 were keen for them to get it when young - 1 didn't want her ds to get it cos it meant she would have to take time off. What I will say is that the day after the spots come out (sometimes the second day) are the worst and both of mine were so down that I couldn't have sent them to anyone else if they were looked after. All mindees ended up getting it - even the one who was kept off so only other drawback was that I ended up with the kids once they had chicken pox so had to stay away from other settings in case it was passed on. Because my two then the other 5 all caught it I felt as though I was housebound for about 8 weeks or so - I found there was ormally 2 weeks between each case. As said I would just make sure the parents confirm they are ok with it and know the chances of theirs getting it too. Many people say it's best when young (my dd was 7 and not too bad, my ds was 18 months and ended up in hosp - although that was due to it being a really severe case of chicken pox and flare up of eczema).

Good luck whatever you decided.

Tracey

oneofeach
07-01-2009, 09:42 PM
This is an interesting one as my niece came to visit on Boxing day and 2 days later had chilcken pox.

I am waiting for my little boy to get it. I assume if he doesn't have it in the next few days he will be ok.

Hopefully my mindees parents won't mind if he does have it as I can't afford a week or so off just after Christmas:panic:

beerheaven
07-01-2009, 10:08 PM
My two daughters had chicken pox exactly two weeks apart! In each case I informed all the parents and gave them the option to send kids or not. Majority did still attend. However if a mindee had chicken pox I would not have him/her whilst still infectious as it would impact on my normal routines with other mindees.

gemhei
07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
As the children can get them 14 days before spots come out they probs all have them anyway in your setting so id still say they can bring them if they like, as long as they are not really ill. As for school runs you cant hide indoors just because one child has chicken pox, keep them close to you or in the buggy and they will be fine. Just say to anyone who says anything at school, If one of your children had chicken pox you wouldnt keep your healthy child off school would you? :thumbsup:

jenmaz2468
12-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Any ideas what I should write on a disclaimer that I should ask my parents to sign after they have agreed to me still caring for their children when my son has chicken pox (since last Thurs)?

jellybean cc
12-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi
My daughter had it 3 weeks ago i got parents to write a letter stating that they had been informed as soon as my daughter developed spots and that they had been given the choice to not come/not pay or for their child to still come but that they were also aware that if their child caught it their child would be unable to come and that they would still have to pay me as once my child had recovered i would be fully open again.