PDA

View Full Version : A very promising enquiry!

Buzz Lightyear
07-01-2009, 12:28 PM
I was 'chatting' to someone who emailed me yesterday about looking after her 2 year old daughter full time. Emails were back and forwards about fees and my hours, etc, etc and her last mail said she was really interested in me (which I thought was nice). Didn't hear anything more this morning but just come to check and she has emailed again asking if we can meet up on Friday as she'd really like to meet me :clapping:

Only one slight problem..... :( She is wanting me to take her daughter on from April but I am on maternity leave until second week in May. She said if I can't do it until May, she will just keep her lo in nursery but I am just concerned if I meet her on Friday and really like them but wait until May to take her on, I'm worried I might loose them?

Have emailed a friend in HR to see what I could do as I am entitled to holiday pay, etc and as yet, work have no idea I'm not returning so need to play it safe as I really need my full pay month at the end of April.

Any advice?!?!?!

berkschick
07-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Im not sure that starting childminding before the end of your maternity will affect your pay, not totally sure though. Unless you are getting maternity allowance from the government, I think that can be affected. Maybe you could consider doing it free of charge for a few weeks to play it safe?

Buzz Lightyear
07-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Initially, my plan of action was to hand in my notice at the beginning of April, stand the four weeks notice (although I would be on annual leave as that will have kicked in then) and then not actually return to work.

What I was thinking now is to bring my four weeks holiday forward to say March so I still get my holiday pay but whilst on that, hand in my notice so my employment effectively ends at the beginning of April thus being able to take my mindee.

Still with me?!?! :rolleyes:

It does all sound complicated and I am tempted to just leave it as it is with my employers (although they have no idea what I am planning). The parent has said she would keep the child in nursery if I can't start in April as she wishes but I am just worried about loosing such a good potential mindee.

Hmmmmmmm :cool:

nell57
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Not sure where you stand on maternity pay hun sorry, but wanted say hope it works out well:thumbsup:

Buzz Lightyear
07-01-2009, 01:08 PM
My maternity pay will have ended to incorporate the holiday pay kicking in. Unfortunately work have the rule use it or loose it so will be cutting ML short and then four weeks holiday entitlement will start.

Worked it out, if I was to change it all around, I would loose 2 days maximum by doing it this way. Not much really but it's whether I can be bothered with changing all the stuff for work.

Will wait and see how Friday goes as we're going to meet first. I can make any decisions after that :D

berkschick
07-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I took a year off (6 months unpaid though) when I had my youngest and then didnt go back ( went to childminding too!). I got 4 full weeks holiday pay that I had built up over the time I was off paid into my bank the month I left even though I was on unpaid leave so you shouldnt loose any holiday entitlement. If you dont book it and use it you will just get the cash.

mummyroysof3
07-01-2009, 01:16 PM
hi, not sure if this will be of any help, but ill proberbly be in the same situation, im on maternity leave till november but will start advetising in august i think

is the amont her fees will be higher than what yo get in maternity pay?
do you tink she would rather you start april or genuinly doesnt mind waiting?

i dont think you can take any retainer from her while getting maternity pay i could be wrong and if i am let me know, im just wondering if you can or not now lol

i supose its difficult to find out what would happen about work etc if you cant let them know your leaving

anyway for what its worth it might be worth ending your mat leave early if you would rather get started and the money works out ok

goodluck with deciding what to do
charlotte x

berkschick
07-01-2009, 01:25 PM
You can only take a retainer for a space which is avaliable but not needed by the child yet.

http://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/asp/employer_zone/e_fs_maternityleave.asp

This is quite a good website.

I am pretty certain that they HAVE to pay you your holiday entitlement regardless of you taking it or not. I know my hubby changed jobs and had to pay back 2 days leave as it was worked out over the year and he had taken too much for the months worked out of that year. I know with most companys you can not carry it over from one year to the next but I am certain that if you leave they owe you the holiday as you have earnt it.

gemhei
07-01-2009, 01:47 PM
I would be half tempted to go ahead with your plans regarding work but starting childminding and not tell them? If you are receiving money from the government obv this isnt a good idea and i would go with the rules. However, do check if you will have to pay back your maternity pay if you do not go back to work for 24 weeks after your leave has ended because most places state this in your contract, other wise you could find they will request your money back if you do not return to work.

carebear25
07-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi when I finished my maternity leave and handed my notice in I got paid my full years holiday entitlement which was nice apart from having to pay them back as I took there company maternity pay and if I didnt go back to work for 6mths I would have to pay. But if I had of gone back for 6mths I would have had to pay childcare so was worth losing. Good job I had the holiday pay really.

Buzz Lightyear
07-01-2009, 03:11 PM
There is nothing in my contract which states I have to repay my employer as they only gave me what they legally had to, i.e. 6 weeks at 90% before it dropped to SMP. SMP will end in April as holiday pay will kick in so the only money received will be my entitled holiday pay.

Funnily enough Gemhei, a friend of mine said exactly the same but have the fear of being found out but wont be getting paid by the government, will be my holiday pay from employer instead.

Hmmm... anyone else thought similar?

berkschick
07-01-2009, 04:05 PM
If you are on SMP then I would give notice to finish work end of March when SMP ends. That would leave you free to childmind. You will still recieve your holiday pay, they can not withhold that as you have earnt it whilst being off.

Or is it holiday coming off next years entitlement? If so be careful or you will end up paying that back!

Buzz Lightyear
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
No it's holiday off 2008 / 2009 entitlement (our holiday year runs from 1 May to 30th April) So could do with still being on the books until the end of April, although saying that, I would only loose 2 days maximum which is nothing really.