PDA

View Full Version : Garden risk assessment

cher25
06-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi, i haven't been able to let children play in my back garden due to it needing work done. Last summer we put some grass down and before the baby was walking i let him sit on it with some toys, apart from that i take him out the front and to parks.
Today however i let him out in the garden and i took some photos of him pushing a toy along and have been trying to work out how to put everything down into a risk assessment as there is paving slabs against the wall and there is a brick wall which is going to get moved to make way for some low decking, (which hopefully my bf will get round to doing as soon as the weather get's a bit warmer, he has no excuses now as is down to a 4 day week for 3 months) but i thought about doing a photo risk assessment, which i will change as things are being done in the garden. Im now thinking about doing the same within the house, that way it's less writing. What do you all think?

fiona
06-01-2009, 08:14 PM
hello... i had to do a risk assessment for my garden as there is a drop from the grass, i noted the toys on offer and the routine for toilet breaks etc, i also took photo's! i am due to have work started in two weeks i plan on sending Ofsted a weekly photo update with the actions taken, they have said they will be happy with this. the problem with just photo's is at times you can not see your actions and only the risks, try doing a bit of both... good luck.

ty
fin

sarah707
06-01-2009, 08:20 PM
The best way to risk assess is to get down and look at things from the child's point of view.

See what might hurt / damage / trip / land on etc the child and write it down... then see how you can protect the child from the danger.

Also think about how you can enable the child to manage his own risk - this is part of our job too.

So you see a raised step... the risk is that the child might fall... the way you protect the child is by putting a ramp in place... the way you enable the child is by supporting him to walk up the step (rather than run) or steer his wheelchair so it goes up without missing a wheel etc.

Hth :D