PDA

View Full Version : help desperatlry needed i am at my wits end

honey
06-01-2009, 11:26 AM
I have 2 children aged around 2yrs. all tey sem to do when there are toys out is sit there!!!!!

I have had a road and train set out today from 9 am and i have just put it all away as they have not played with it just sat tere starring into space.

Other than litterelly grab their hand and move the toys fro them i dont know what else to do. I have sat there and made train noises etc but they still just sit there

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2009, 11:28 AM
What about going to the park, see the ducks, get their minds working

honey
06-01-2009, 11:30 AM
wish i could do that, but i cannot go out anywhere this week as my son is on cruthces. I normally would but i dont want to be doing it every day

katickles
06-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Are these children new to your setting?

honey
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
no the 1 i have had since he was 6 months old, but i have a few other issues with him anyway.

, the othere 1 is new tho. she has ben with me fro 3 months now and was settling in nicely until after the xmas break now she has gone into herself

sue m
06-01-2009, 12:24 PM
I have a lo I love dearly and he's a bit like that quite often. He will not want to play with any of the toys and he wants to eat all the time and watch tv. I know this is boredom but they're only here for a few hours a day and his little sister sleeps for up to 2 hours and they have a snack here at lunch time so it's hard to go out anywhere. We don't have any parks anywhere near us, it's a long walk to the nearest. When I did go last, the big kids had been in there and all the swings were wrapped around the frame so he couldn't go on those, he went on the slide about 5 times and then said let's go home. He actually seems to prefer using his imagination, yesterday he was Fireman Sam and the armchair was Jupiter and today he is a soldier. I need to get some dressing up clothes or try to turn something in the living room into a fire engine. He's very quiet and quite old fashioned.

honey
06-01-2009, 12:34 PM
see thats great but mine just sit there. I have the dressing up clothes up and set activities but the days when its free play they just sit there and do nothing except stare out the window or at the toys:mad:

Polly2
06-01-2009, 12:35 PM
What about some messy play?

Or turn some beaty music on and get the instruments out?

honey
06-01-2009, 12:49 PM
dosent matter what i get out they just sit there and do nothing!!!!!!!!!

I do messy play and they just do little bits here and there but i am trying to encourage indepant play and they just sit there.

haribo
06-01-2009, 12:51 PM
i agree about the music-it can really wake a child up, i ve got some good kids cds we first of all sing and dance to the songs ( well i do anyway:blush: )and then i leave it on in the background and seems to motivate the little ones to explore whatevers out. also if they see u having a good time its bound to make them happier and relaxed enough to let go and have a good time while theyre at yours . if they really are not connecting with anything despite your best efforts you need to find out why -are they happy playing at home ?

sue m
06-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Mine doesn't like messy play much either, one bit of paint or glue on a finger and he wants it washing off lol. If you wrap them up well and go in the garden when it's not too cold, are they interested in outdoor toys or a ball? Do they do this all day every day? They're not related then, two different children? How would they react if you rolled about on the floor with them and tickled them and had a mad 10 mins? IT's strangs that they don't even want to just sit and play with the train or the cars. Have you spoken to the parents about what they are like at home?

Alibali
06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
do you feel there is someting deeper with them, do they have other issues like behavior issues or relating to others?

If you're concerned note down what has been happening and see if there is a pattern.

Do you take them to toddlers or to mix with other children? This may help with their social development.

Otherwise just keep trying to find something that interest them:) . How are thay at home?

hello kitty
06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
One of mine sounds like that, I would describe her as passive. If we have track out she will hold a car that's all, if we have music on she will sit and hold an instrument, if we go to the park she will walk around and possibly go on the slide and as for messy play she will just sit and look at it.

She is often very very sleepy and when mentioned to parents they laugh and say oh, we couldn't get her to sleep until...... yesterday it was midnight!:eek: She is 2 1/2 years old.

vix84
06-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Before I went on maternity leave, one of my mindees was sort of similar - but in the sense that he just liked me to play with him all the time, or someone to play with him - even another mindee. But as soon as it was just me and him and I tried to get something done quickly while he played - he would soon get bored and just sit there, actually pulling a 'bored' face lol! At 2 years old!
But he has older brothers - so he is used to company all the time, and doesnt really have much time to play by himself.

If you sat there and played too, would they join in? My mindees were good at playing if engrossed - but once they got bored they needed encouraging or a change of toys etc. or I would have to start a game going etc.

Maybe your mindee is used to attention 24/7 at home and always being played with etc?