PDA

View Full Version : Child with Downs, help please!

stalbansminder
06-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I've agreed to take on a child 3 mornings a week for an hour before school, he has downs, he is 7 years old. Does anyone have any advice for me...please!! I've never looked after a child with downs before although I've known a couple of adults with it. Is there anything in particular I should know about how to approach the situation? Should I treat him like any other 7 year old? I presume I need lower expectations about what he can do but at what level?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you!

angeldelight
06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
My niece has a 7 year old with downs

The best advice shes always given me is to treat him the same

I did mind a downs child a while ago and he was fantastic a real star

They are great children to look after and give so much

I think the best advice you can get about this child though is from the parents - they will know what he likes and how they would like you to treat him

Ask them it does not show ignorance but shows that you are interested and want to do your best

Good luck

Angel xx

stalbansminder
06-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks, that's great advice.

LittleMissSparkles
06-01-2009, 10:59 AM
I agree with Angel, have a chat tot he parents they will be the best source of information for you and may be able to also give other help in the way of books or web sites or help groups that may be able to add to the information they can give you, Im sure he will bring joy to your setting, good luck xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2009, 11:01 AM
The parents should have a care plan in place for all the care the child has. Maybe speak to them about getting one for you too and that will give you access to the support you need.

Mollymop
06-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I look after a girl who is 7 who has Down's.

I care for her before and after school all week and full time in the school holidays.

I treat her/involve her the same as all others i look after.

The only problems I have is that she can't communicate very well and is deaf (she has a hearing aid fitted now, so it is much easier), she is also quite boisterous with the other children, but can be very calm too.

I love her to bits

I was a bit unsure about taking her on at first, I have only been looking after her since the sept 1st, but over the 4 months I have gotten used to caring for her and think of her no differently than the other children.

I wouldn't change a thing now x

Alibali
06-01-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree with the above, I think this way she may be challenged to try other things and to develop new skills. It also depends on the severity, but I assume if she is going to mainstream school she won't be at the severe end of the scale.

mandy moo
06-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I worked with a little boy with Downs at my boys school for 16 months, I would agree with the all the others about working with the parents as they know him the best.
I take it he's in the school system? Wether Special or Mainstream, would the
parents be happy with you liasing with school/SENCO (special educational needs co ordinator) as to where his learning is?
B was in mainstream and I had to adapt a lot of the work he had as well as making resorces from scratch. became brilliant with a lamiator:) and www.sparkle box.co.uk

The Down Syndrome Association may be of some help you can google this.

A woman I used to go to slimming world has a son with Downs and started this company ]www.vissikids.co.uk sorry if im not allowed to put this on there pauline i wasnt sure?

and someone else posted a SEN site on here a little while ago but I cant find it at the mo

Mind you if you google special educational needs that will bring up a load of info and Down Syndrome for that matter.
Enjoy him it was one of the best jobs ive ever had apart from minding that is:)
Im about 8 1/2miles from St A's if you would like to get in touch
Mandy