PDA

View Full Version : all weather clothing

butterfly
05-01-2009, 11:03 AM
i have been thinking about my outdoor play provision and am wondering what to do about the babies i look after. they can all currently crawl so i was thinking of offering activities on my decked area. the problem is this cold and wet winter weather! i don't mind older children outside with their normal coats on as they move about alot but i'm worried that crawling on wet, cold or frosty decking will not be great for baby's health! if i put hats and mittens on them they will have trouble moving about and spend most of their time trying to get them off!

what should i do?

should i buy a couple of all in one waterproof outfits or just let them crawl in their normal coats?! what do i do about freezing little hands? let them freeze or try something else?

sammy
05-01-2009, 12:51 PM
to be honest i have a nearly 1 year old and although he crawls, i wouldnt think to let him crawl around on the wet freezing floor, but then im more for comfortability, i would put an all in one waterproof on with suitable waterproof booties on, and let them enjoy the outdoors by putting them in a swing, put a playmat on the grass with toys and let them enjoy the outside that way- giving them a basket with grass and leaves to explore, or give them limited time crawling or holding there hands letting them walk about, and if they didnt like gloves i would limit there time outside before the start to freeze - lol.

Hope this helps :)

chaotic_space
05-01-2009, 12:58 PM
I agree with sammy, it's just too cold to let the crawlers have free reign just now. A basket full of garden treasures would be perfect and you could bring it indoors once frost bite has set in :rolleyes:

Just think though...... by summer your crawler will be exploring every inch of your garden!

Angela234
05-01-2009, 01:31 PM
For little ones that don't walk if its not raining i sometimes put down foam mats from ELC for them to sit on evan the older ones use them they are quite warm and soft . One of my best buys we use them most weathers.

Angela

butterfly
05-01-2009, 03:49 PM
ooh i quite like the idea of a basket of garden treasures! what would be suitable to put in it?

sammy
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
i would collect if and when in season - pine cones, flowers (not poisenous), leaves, grass. and even a little snail to look at and explore - obviously washing hands afterwards. I did a bug hunting theme in the summer and they all got involved, also i would buy some pretend snow and let them play with it in the big trays that i have, also letting play water and watering cans, and also bringing the sand in, you can always bring the outdoors in.