PDA

View Full Version : Planning Together

Chatterbox Childcare
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM
There doesn't seem to be a lot of planning ideas on the website - no offence to those who have added any - and as we are all planning I wondered if we could have a site sub structure that everyone puts their ideas in to?

Are you interested?

I am happy to collate the list.

Please add your name to this and/or pm me and I can send the list out and about for ideas.

madasahatter
04-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm always interested in new planning ideas. I think that half the time we are planning for ourselves rather than the LO's. By that I mean that the LO's are happy doing most things and are not really bothered if they've done it before (they soon let you know by their behaviour if they are not interested). It is us adults that need the variety that planning brings to stop us getting in a rut and to keep those little grey cells working. IYSWIM
Sharing planning can help put a new twist on mundane everyday activities so I think you have made a great suggestion.

patevans
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Sounds like a fab idea to me :thumbsup: I struggle with planning :(

Chatterbox Childcare
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Come on, I cannot be the only person out there planning and getting stuck for ideas. No idea is a bad idea and we can all help each other.

ajs
04-01-2009, 01:38 PM
i have just been doing the planning for january and i'm afraid i completely plaigarised your weather ideas
although i have put a new slant on it all but thanks for that debbie

what would you like us to put on here our ideas or that we would like help
i for one would love ideas of what to do with the little ones

sue m
04-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Me too Mandy, my lo's aren't interested. Little girl is only 16 months anyway and little boy wants to do his own thing and just play. He's very easily bored with anything I decide to do! Gives you a complex about your abilities as a minder doesn't it!!!!! :rolleyes:

Gherkin
04-01-2009, 03:28 PM
I was brainstorming for themes this morning and came up with 30. Some of them cross over with each other and some will run throught the year i.e "growth" through watching the children grow and through using our allotment. Below is what I came up with in my 10 minute brainstorm:
All about me
Art
Song & Ryhmes
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Environment
Farming
Growth
Minibeasts
Where our food comes from (links with farming and growth)
Communication
Mammals
Birds
Safety
Seasons
Buildings
Books
Favourtie things
Weather
Dinosaurs
Light/dark - Day/night
Transport
Around the world
People who helps us
Colours
Numbers
Alphabet
Water creatures
Our history
Health
Festivals

Thought I would share.

mrsb
04-01-2009, 03:31 PM
I'd definately be up for helping/taking part in this :)

Carol
04-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Love to take part too xx will be nice having ideas to share and see other ideas too as sometimes we get into a blinkered routine xx

breezy
04-01-2009, 03:35 PM
me too and ideas to keep the children interested, my plans seem to start well then veer off in a totally different direction :laughing:

Angela234
04-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm finding planning a bit harder at the moment mainly because of childrens ages, which are 11 months, 20 months 2 aged 26 months and 3 year old who will do anything but the others don't want to know.
I am trying to do winter and chinese new year this month how far i will get i don't know.
we will look at clothes we wear in winter colour in some hats, gloves,
sticking cut out pictures of winter clothes
look at animals that hiberate
Story bear snores on
Make winter picture
Go for a walk

Chinese new year children seem to enjoy this
Make dragon
Mask
lanterns
Moon cakes
colour flag
make chinese zodiac wreath

I am always looking for new ideas don't know what to do next month

Angela

Chatterbox Childcare
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm finding planning a bit harder at the moment mainly because of childrens ages, which are 11 months, 20 months 2 aged 26 months and 3 year old who will do anything but the others don't want to know.
I am trying to do winter and chinese new year this month how far i will get i don't know.
we will look at clothes we wear in winter colour in some hats, gloves,
sticking cut out pictures of winter clothes
look at animals that hiberate
Story bear snores on
Make winter picture
Go for a walk

Chinese new year children seem to enjoy this
Make dragon
Mask
lanterns
Moon cakes
colour flag
make chinese zodiac wreath

I am always looking for new ideas don't know what to do next month

Angela

I don't plan for the little ones and use our routines and activities to show EYFS as they are too young and learn by playing. When they are ready I use planning.

MrsT333
04-01-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm planning for chinese new year at mo...but have got stuck already...so ill def be up this :)

Mrs.L.C
04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Il defo be up for this. Esp simple ideas for the diferent celebrations

Chatterbox Childcare
04-01-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm planning for chinese new year at mo...but have got stuck already...so ill def be up this :)

Here are a few ideas that I got from a website for last years celebrations.

I googled chinese new year and I think it was Crayola that came up with all the "year of" signs. We printed them out, coloured then in, cut them out and then glued the current year in the middle of a paper plate and glued the balance around the edge and then hung it with a piece of string.

sarah32
04-01-2009, 05:31 PM
This would be great idea, l also struggle with covering all the areas of learning on themes, would be great to bounce ideas of eash other.

Im stuck on my february planning , im doing emergency services.

Cant think of an idea for psrn, any ideas???:)

christine e
04-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me

Cx

jellytot
04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
i'm in, really struggle with planning as i prefer to go with the flow, so to say

cher25
04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Great idea Debbie. :) I mind a 17 month old full time, and know i cant really plan much for him, but i have his 5 yr old brother after school and a 3 year old and 7 year old occasionaly. I can't do lot's of planning for them as by the time i get in and then pick the 7 yr old up, i only have about 10 mins before i have make tea. But i'd like to plan thing's for them to do in the dining room while im cooking as i can see them then.

patevans
04-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I am struggling with my 20 month old and 12 month old :panic:

sarah707
04-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I am struggling with my 20 month old and 12 month old :panic:

With these ages it's more about going with the flow of the children.

Don't do any multicultural planning etc ... you'll be wasting your time.

You should be thinking about how to stimulate them eg sensory play, treasure baskets, outings, toddler groups etc.

Then follow their interests / what parents say they are doing at home / any schemas you might spot.

Relax... it's everything you do already... just write down what you've done :D

patevans
04-01-2009, 07:10 PM
With these ages it's more about going with the flow of the children.

Don't do any multicultural planning etc ... you'll be wasting your time.

You should be thinking about how to stimulate them eg sensory play, treasure baskets, outings, toddler groups etc.

Then follow their interests / what parents say they are doing at home / any schemas you might spot.

Relax... it's everything you do already... just write down what you've done :D

So do I need to write down a short term plan or individual plans following their interests?

kirka
04-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Gr8t idea. Iam up for it too. Run a childminder drop-in so looking for ideas all the time.

Tracey1
04-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Hiya i would be interested in planning ideas, my brain is abit dead at the mo, with all the other things that I'm trying to update, just incase I get a phone call from Ofsted.

Regards Tracey

miffy
04-01-2009, 08:43 PM
So do I need to write down a short term plan or individual plans following their interests?

Begin with the children's "starting points" (Ofsted are keen on these) - that is where the children are now in development terms. Use your observations of the child to decide this, then discuss with parents to see if they can add anything then briefly outline what you are going to do next to move the child on.

Review regularly through observations/discussions with parents.

Miffy xx

patevans
04-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Begin with the children's "starting points" (Ofsted are keen on these) - that is where the children are now in development terms. Use your observations of the child to decide this, then discuss with parents to see if they can add anything then briefly outline what you are going to do next to move the child on.

Review regularly through observations/discussions with parents.

Miffy xx

I have been observing D (20 mths) since July, his interests are balls and transport so we have completed planned activities on these, L (12mths) I have done observations on random things i see her doing and wow moments etc and used Sarah's age and stages to plan small activities for her age, am I doing this all wrong then?

miffy
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
No, I don't think so - sorry if I've confused you.

You are observing the children and planning for their interests and you'll link to the EYFS learning and development areas.

Miffy xx

sarah707
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
It sounds like you are doing it absolutely right! :D

patevans
04-01-2009, 08:59 PM
No, I don't think so - sorry if I've confused you.

You are observing the children and planning for their interests and you'll link to the EYFS learning and development areas.

Miffy xx

Yep I do this and use photo obs and next steps too then follow up obs from next steps!

patevans
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
It sounds like you are doing it absolutely right! :D

Cool :thumbsup:

I do individual planning for each childs folder, is that all I need then? Can I do a few little bits towards festivals etc? D likes to do crafts so was going to do winter crafty bits and chinese new year and reading books to go with a theme etc!!

brillminder
04-01-2009, 09:15 PM
yes please count me in :) i like to pic up on childrens interest in books and follow that lead to various activities

sarah707
04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Cool :thumbsup:

I do individual planning for each childs folder, is that all I need then? Can I do a few little bits towards festivals etc? D likes to do crafts so was going to do winter crafty bits and chinese new year and reading books to go with a theme etc!!

Yes of course! You do as much or as little as you like.

I think that planning for celebrations and festivals can give you a focus on your week, whatever the age of the child.

We just always need to remember with under 3s it's more about following their interests etc :D

Peppa
04-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I'd be happy to chip in...... but haven't got the fogiest where to start! :blush: Not registered yet so not too much of a problem, but would like to do a yearly and monthly planner from easter onwards. Ready for when i might (WILL) have children!

anneriddington
04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Id like to join in too, are we going to submit our ideas on individual threads. I start back in the morning and easing myself gently into the new year. Planned in my head but not just in practice!! Sure it will fall into place tomorrow, one of my lo's birthdays he will be 4 so Im sure we'll have a fun day:)

ajs
04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
sorry debbie not ignoring your message but only just got home.
i would love to take part in this so will email you wehn i get a chance

ajs
04-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Yes of course! You do as much or as little as you like.

I think that planning for celebrations and festivals can give you a focus on your week, whatever the age of the child.

We just always need to remember with under 3s it's more about following their interests etc :D

i agree with sarah ( as i usually do as she's so much better at this then me) the little ones don't care if they are decorating a chinese lantern or a christmas card they just love the glueing and glitter so as long as their needs are met then all is well

Mags
04-01-2009, 11:13 PM
i would love to join in with this idea although i'm not sure i would be much use to anyone (not that good at planning yet) but i'm willing to give it a go.

miffy
05-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Count me in too please Debbie

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
05-01-2009, 08:45 AM
We now have 11 names of people interested, so I have a sub structure which I will send out.

Anyone else want to chip in, please pm me.

Thanks

rickysmiths
05-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Sharing planning great i,m in.

Idea for Sarah32 you said you were planning to do 'emergency services'. Last year I asked the local Fire Station to do a check on my home, some areas won't do it for cms but of course it is your family home, anyway they booked a date, I teamed up with another cm so she could keep a eye on the children as well. What a great time the Fire Engine pulled into my front drive and while they inspected the house and fitted for free 10year smoke alarms (there was nothing wrong with the ones I had) they said I could have the state of the art ones for free!!! they took the children on the engine rang the bell got the hoses out FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! We got some great pics as well.

Have fun.

Back to planning etc.

I have 5mth, 15mth, 2.5yr and 3yr quite a mix. I keep a daily book where i record menus what we have done where we have been , I started this in Sept with EYFS. I have simple observations I then use it to plan the next step and colour code with stickers which areas have been covered. I've found is highlights areas I have missed or don't cover as easily in my day to day activities so I can then plan them in. Does that make sence?

A few of us got together in Sept to try and find as simple a plan as pos and the above seems to be working.
A few of us then went on a planning and observation course (2hrs) we are now using a scrap book for each child(not my 5mth yet) putting in examples of work some with lumps!!! I photocopy or take a photo and put in and link to stages of del and the about twice a term we do a simple observation, you can also include some photo, brochures of places visited etc.

Last year I had got so many dig photos of the children I put them on a disc for the parents unedited! They all loved that because they could see a picture of a day, week etc. So I have continued to do that and its much quicker than editing a few and putting them in albums.

Sorry I have prattled on a bit better get back to work.

Have a good day ,my lot are standing at the window watching the snow (we're in SE Herts) its settling well I think we will be donning the wellies and rain coats in a minuite, now what area of learning will this cover??????!!!!!!!

:eek: :clapping: :clapping: :laughing: :laughing:

marion123
05-01-2009, 12:08 PM
hi ive pm you thanks

squiggle
05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
will pm you debbie

xx

kellyb
05-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone, Im definitely interested in helping out and benefiting from everyone planning together, think its a marvellous idea, especially if we can think of extra things to do by bouncing off one another! What do we need to do Debbie?

Chatterbox Childcare
05-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I have pm'd you

hello kitty
05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Have pm'd you Debbie. :)

Jules12Wed
05-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Great idea, I'm in. I've pm'd you.

louloudi
05-01-2009, 02:32 PM
great idea, also pm'd....many thanks.

It's good to know I'm not the only one. ... I'm minding a 2.5 yr old who just wants to do his own thing, and 2 after schoolers. I'm going to have to get my planning in order as I'm due Ofsted. I've got EYFS training this month so it should give me some direction.

happytotschildminding
05-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi - sharing is a great idea. What I've done (I just have before and after schoolers) is I have got a calander from Bonusprint with lovely seasonal pictures of the children and you can type on anything from Birthdays, Chinese New Year, and I've gone through the whole year filling things in from a website I found on the internet (can't remember what it was called now but was easy to find) like in May for example theres Sat 2nd Astronomy Day Tues 12th is International Nurses Day, Fri 15th is Fruity Friday, and I've picked the ones which I feel we can do activities around - ok haven't got that far yet but it gives me the skeleton for putting the body on IYSWIM. So I have planned for the whole year with my calendar on the wall for the parents to see what we're doing as well. I have got one child who isn't 5 yet and keep a separate file with photos and observations (highlighted with colour co'ordinated highlighters as to which area they fall into and do a quarterly total of them to show the parents how our activities are helping childs development etc together with learning goals) Wondering if I'm doing it right now, reading the rest of the threads!!
Carol

Chatterbox Childcare
05-01-2009, 11:33 PM
I have sent the list out to everyone who asked. If you haven't had a reply, please pm me with your email address detailed within.

I have had one reply already!

mayberry
06-01-2009, 05:43 AM
Morning everyone, I interested in helping if I can what do I need to do Debbie?

Dawn xx :)

Monkey1
06-01-2009, 05:57 AM
Me too please Debbie! although my Brain has been pickled by alchohol over the christmas period!:D

samd35
06-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Great Idea! I struggle with planning as the 3 I mind over the week are 1 and 2 18 month olds. I have a almost 3 year old starting next week and my own 3 year old.
x

Denise r
06-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Debbie
I think it sounds like a really good idea to share ideas so please count me in.

A couple of good websites I have picked up along the way are:
activity village website
JCB Explore
Pre-school Express website
Carex website
Under 5's website
DLTK website
Gigglepotz.com
First-school.ws

I know some of these are frequently mentioned already but here they are again!

Regards

Denise

Lick'le Oakes
06-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I would love to be included in this please although i don't have any children yet please let me know what you want me to do cheers

Michelle M
06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Sounds like a fab idea to me :thumbsup: I struggle with planning :(

Me too, so count me in :)

bingo57
09-01-2009, 09:31 PM
great idea, would like to be counted in 2. what needs to be done
glynisx:thumbsup:

lesley
11-01-2009, 12:06 PM
I would like to help too, if that's ok. Just done chinese new year and winter, I a bit behind.

Lesley

sunflower
11-01-2009, 12:53 PM
yes please add me to the planning list

i will try and contribute....

:D

mrs c
11-01-2009, 05:26 PM
I'd like to help. Could you add me to the list please.

2045amanda
11-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Could you add me to the list please.
Thanks
Amanda

sarah707
11-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Debbie has asked me to close the thread for now.

She has all your details and when she has got herself organised with Pauline, she will let you know what happens next!

Thank you! :D