PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe how unappreciated childminders are!

Bananabrain
03-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi, I am a newie.It is quite possible that this forum is going to save my life!!!{and stop me from giving up}. I've been minding now for just over a year and in that time I think I've seen it all! Hubby says 'this childminding thing has really opened your eyes hasn't it'? Sure has!!!! Granted I have had some particularly tricky children{me being polite} including one that had been in care,but I am astounded at parents attitudes,general manners,table manners,parents thinking that I feed their children on fresh air! lateness,general tardiness,parent sending children really,really poorly,sending them without pe kit,trip money,costumes for plays etc. but I think most of all the thing that has surprised me most is parents not putting their children first.What happened to our society??? I am incredibly proud of my own child and he always comes first in my life. Am I the only one? I know i am very old-fashioned but I think there is alot of really rubbish parenting going on out there. i just wanted to say to all of you that you are all fabulous and people just don't know how hard childminders work.As we speak I am desp trying to catch up ready to start New Year with a positive attitude{ either that or getting a bottle of gin and going to live in the shed}.I love working with children, but many times this job has already left me with my jaw tripping me up and a few times I've been in tears. I have almost been thumped by a child,had parents spend tax credits on new handbags,had parents tell me blatant lies,had children[10 year olds] spitting out food,been called names, the list is endless.Until I found this forum,I honestly thought it was just me!! being a big softy and ACTUALLY CARING about the children I mind. Thanks guys.I will be back. I have questions, many questions:)

Carol
03-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Know what you mean..........some parents think we are just babysitters..........never get a chance to sit myself. Its great this site having so many new friends and hearing the lives and problems others have. I have been minding for 21 years and I too have seen all sorts, but at the end of the day I love my job and its the children I do it for to see them achieve things which I have helped them do. I personally feel all teenagers at school should have parent classes as it is one thing most kids will be and their is no training.
Keep going this job and it is a job has its rewards xxx

Carol xx

Mollymop
03-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Yes Louise, I agree that some children do not come first in the parents eyes.
Alot of parents are so busy with work that they do not realise that their children need them more than they need to go to work. People are busy, I am very busy but I try to make time for my children everyday.

I hope that you finds lots of answers to your forth coming questions.

Welcome xx

Pipsqueak
03-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Louise and welcome to the forum.

Yep there are some real pain in the behind parents out there BUT i can promise you that there are some really really lovely appreciative parents and kids out there too.

you are a professional, and should be treated as such, you are working in your own home and do not deserve to be treated liked dirt in it. Remember this is YOUR business and as such you set the t&c's (being a little flexi with the parents where you feel you can be).
Written reminders of your t&c's and behaving in a professional manner and reminding parents that you are a trained professional doesn't hurt occasionally.

You are in the right place for all the back up, support and advice :thumbsup:

MrsT333
03-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi Louise

:eek: I'm shocked to hear your first year has been this bad! Well done for sticking at it.

I have been very lucky then compared to u in my first year, i have built a good relationship with my mindees parents, and although i dont think they know how i hard i work, i know they are happy knowing their dd is happy to come here!

Nettynoo
03-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi Louise144,
I completely agree with you! I don't think they do realise how hard we work or how much of our lives and our families that they encroach upon!! Good on you for sticking it out though, it sounds like you have had a tough year!! I have only been doing this since August and already feel so overwhelmed by all the rules and guidelines, paperwork etc and the general feeling that they drop their children off and I do nothing with them all day!! They look at the things we have made ie baking or arts/crafts stuff and don't say anyhting either to me in appreciation or to their child who is looking for praise!!!! aaagh, they drive me mad!!!!!!
Good luck and I hope the parents start appreciating you soon!!!!
Happy New Year!:)

Michelle M
04-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Totally agree, I have had some tricky children but not as bad as that, I am lucky now though, I have some lovely parents, and only one that sees me as "just the childminder", one parent in the past actually put on the envelope with her fees in "Babysitter" thanks, and that was my step sister :(

mandy moo
04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I registered back in April, and so far have been reasonably lucky with my parents (I have two at the mo)
1 set are 'lovley'

('lovley' as in we have a working relationship and I belive untill something unforseen happens, you never know how the parents will react/be, read enough on here to know there are some truly awful people out there)

gave me a gift at xmas and my own 2 boys a gift each and 1 for the other child I mind!
The others set are always late droping off, late picking up, never an apology, payment is always late, plus a few other niggles.
however saying this, I think myself lucky

rickysmiths
04-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Happy New Year everyone!
Sorry to hear you have had a bad first year, it does get better. i've been minding for 14 years now and most of the parents and children have fine, over the years I have been given some lovely presents and not just at Christmas some 'just because'. I have had some rotters though, bad payers, late del and collection with no reguard to the impact on the other children /parents in my care or to my family but that is people. Yesterday we had a birthday party for my 16 year old daughter, we needed all her friends collected by 4pm because we had to meet our Scout group at our local theatre at 4.30pm one mum still had not arrived at 4.20 so we took her daughter 5.with us, we were home by 5.15 and the mum was cross she said 'I would only have been another 5 mins!!!!!' no regard for where we had to be!!!!!

Actually a Photo Call with Peter Duncan (Blue Peter ) who is in our local Panto and is Chief Scout.

Have faith and you will find the more parents you interview the more adept you will become in filtering out some of the not so good ones.:laughing: :laughing:

mushpea
04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
i agree not all parents are thoughtful but there are some lovley ones too.

its not just parents that don't respect us as proffesionals though, we used to have a childminders group at our local childrens center then one day the 'boss' of the center came over and told us that she was going to close the group because all we do is sit around drinking coffee and she finds this embaresing when other parents are shown around by the head teacher of the attatched school! she then carried this on saying we don't do enough with the children and that what we do at the center we could do just as easily at each others houses.
so its not just parents!!

Chatterbox Childcare
04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
I have always had a good range of parents with mixed ideas of how children are. Luckily all have the best interests of their children as their main concern.

Hope your next year is better than your first