PDA

View Full Version : Water Butt

Minnie mouse
03-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi i have a water butt in the back garden and im soon to be inspected, i was just wondering if they have to be covered or if ofsted are happy as long as children are closely supervised during outdoor play (which they would be anyway) Thanks :)

sarah32
03-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I put a chain round mine and fixed to wall.

Inspector checked that and was happy.:)

Michelle M
03-01-2009, 05:24 PM
It wasnt never mentioned during my inspection, the children use mine to water the plants, put in the sand, my inspector was happy :) It has a lid on it.

Shar
03-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I had to have a lid on mine or fence it off so the children could not access it. The inspector was happy that it was made safe.

Chatterbox Childcare
03-01-2009, 05:38 PM
My water butt came with a lid and hubby fixed a drain pipe straight into it for the water to enter

Peppa
03-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Mine has the lid screwed on, i said i have not done anything with it like enclosing it as i wanted your advice.... she said you are teaching the chikdren to save water and you can use that in your planning. As long as they can't climb in you are fine! :D

singlewiththree
04-01-2009, 08:04 AM
The assessor commented on mine. She said it cant be too low that a child can climb in it, too wide that they would get stuck in it. That it must have a secure locked lid.

Mine is a slim line compact water butt. It would be hard to climb up to as its tall and thin, nearly impossible to get in it and she had to really really tug at the lid to make her point that it could come off :rolleyes: She then had to say it didnt need a lock however if I found the children could do it then I would have to.

Minnie mouse
04-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Oh dear, mine sits on the ground and probably comes upto my waist with no lid!! Its frozen at the minute lol but how are you supposed to collect water if it has a lid on it? lol! where can i buy a lid. This is gonna worry me now x

chaotic_space
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
You can use strong wire mesh or canvas so long as it is securely fixed to the water butt and cannot be removed by the children. It should be secured in some way so it cant be pulled over, either fixed to a wall/fence or fenced off completely.

You could fit a drain pipe like debbies so the water gets in :)