PDA

View Full Version : Rewarding Good Behaviour - No Reward Charts ALLOWED

curleysoph
03-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I have been informed that our local Council do not approve of Reward Charts or Stickers. Does anyone have any good ideas on how I can reward good behaviour. Our Council suggest Praise and Encouragement, but I would very much like to use something to reward extra Special Behaviour as well as this. All ideas welcome.

Kind regards

Monkey1
03-01-2009, 02:37 PM
I use a reward chart for all of my mindees and it works so i won't stop! They get stickers in their home diaries and the Parents see how well they have done at the end of the day.....and if Ofsted or whoever don't like it......Tough!

Wiggly
03-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm with Monkey. We praise and encourage children all the time and a little reward of a sticker I can't see as a problem.

A potty training chart worked a treat with my daughter when training. She knew that once she got 20 stickers she would be rewarded with a gift. Trained very quickly funny enough.

Wiggly
x

sarah707
03-01-2009, 03:15 PM
These new initiatives come and go like buses.

One day they are the bees knees, then the head of Department goes on a new course and everything is old and they're bringing something new in.

I've been in education for over 20 years and seen many things come and go... and lots more come back again!

If it works for you, do it! :D

marion123
03-01-2009, 03:21 PM
i use reward charts the mindees love them there little faces when they get a sticker :)

nannysue
03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I use charts and stickers all the time and i'm certainly not going to stop. All my children love to have one, especially potty training. I made one for staying in bed just before Christmas and mum says it has worked a treat and little one was so proud :clapping:

sue m
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
That's ridiculous isn't it. Kids love to have stickers and specially reward ones, my mindee asks me for one when he's doing a wee. They're really proud to get reward stickers and show them to Mum and Dad. Can't think of any other way you can reward them, sorry. Stupid local council!!! :rolleyes:

MrsT333
03-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm with you all on this one, all my children love stickers and all have reward charts, they love them and it really boosts their self esteem!

I will carrry on using them.

Blaze
03-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I agree stoopid council!!!!

How about a reward book...you cn put stickers in there...or you could do mini certificates to go in there...more of a palava, but an idea none the less!:rolleyes: :)

miffy
03-01-2009, 05:44 PM
There's a list here of ways to praise a child

www.bromleycma.org.uk/policies/downloads.html

Miffy xx

Blaze
03-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks Miffy...have just spent an hour looking for that!!!!:rolleyes:

miffy
03-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks Miffy...have just spent an hour looking for that!!!!:rolleyes:

You're welcome Blaze but it's not like you to loose things :)

Miffy xx

Shar
03-01-2009, 05:50 PM
My Ofsted inspector loved the reward charts, stickers and certificates I provide for the children. The children and their parents love them too. Do what works for you and the children.:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I love the fact that the council like this and like that but they don't regulate us, Ofsted do.

if the Council have policy on this matter I wish they would tell our schools as I struggle sometimes when the children come home and say they are on the "naughty" or "cloudy" side of the blackboard

If it works for you go for it I say!:laughing:

mushpea
03-01-2009, 06:16 PM
so when your minded children get a certain amount of stickers what do you reward them with or don't you, do you ust give them a sticker and thats that?
when mine were younger they used to get a small pack of sweets for 10 stickers but realise that is frowned apon now!

Michelle M
03-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I use stickers, the children love to get stickers as rewards!

Hannahlg
04-01-2009, 06:45 PM
wer use star charts for good behavoir for all the children and it works great

the children get stickers and stamps form school and pre-school aswell for good bevahour and good work etc

when i pick the bohys up from the pre-school the first thing there say is loook hannah i got a stamp and if you ask them what there got it for there say for wither beign good to sitting nicely on the carpit and there have only just turned 4

and has worked a treat in potty trianing them aswell

the cat be getting a start chart if he dont start behavinig soon aswell

Blaze
04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
You're welcome Blaze but it's not like you to loose things :)

Miffy xx

LOL...Ummm...am trying to work out if your being sarcastic or not!:laughing: :p

curleysoph
08-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all your encouragement. I am going to go with stickers in the home diary and reward with a certficate. One of my little ones is struggling with sharing so I have downloaded the sharing certificate from the BCMA site. Onwards and upwards chaps:thumbsup:

Helen Dempster
09-01-2009, 11:30 PM
first of all, all kids LOVE getting stickers and for being praised when their behaviour has deserved it, so raspberries to he (or she) who says different! Secondly, I got an idea recently from a mag I read (I can't remember which one now though (it's my age...) Anyway, it was a robot, made out of various 'junk' that you and the kids can all make together, with the initials G.B. on the front (Good Behaviour) and that you can fill with small gifts, stickers, sweets (or whatever you choose) and when they've been exceptionally good at something, they get to pick something from inside him. I thought this was great idea and am going to make one myself soon :)

Hels xx

rickysmiths
10-01-2009, 12:11 AM
I have been informed that our local Council do not approve of Reward Charts or Stickers. Does anyone have any good ideas on how I can reward good behaviour. Our Council suggest Praise and Encouragement, but I would very much like to use something to reward extra Special Behaviour as well as this. All ideas welcome.

Kind regards

Where do you live? Its some jobs worthe with no children and nothing better to do. Worst of it is your paying your Council Tax for this!

When I was inspected last year we had just finished a sticker chart with a 2yr old who hated her hair being brushed, worked a treat, me happy, parents happy, mindee happy especially as she got to take her chart home(after i'd photocopied it as evidence for my records)

Ofsted arrived the week after said chart had gone home and praised me for doing it. Then the monster said she would have given me an outstanding in one of the areas if I had been doing a 5 a day chart with this 2yr old wasn't enough that the child named all her veg 4 diff ones to the .... when she was having lunch.

I say charts rock and it seems OSTED do to.