PDA

View Full Version : Log Burner!!! Inspection Tuesday

mollmoo
02-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Ok the $100 question!!

I have had a log burner installed in my front room (had a gas fire before, was told that I had to remove the knob so the mindees couldn't turn the gas fire on. Physical impossiblity as you had to turn and push at same time but anyway) the log burner is never on when the mindees are present!

Do I need to put my fire guard up and secured to wall or do you ladies think that as I don't have it on then I shouldn't need it? Never had it secured before and they always seemed ok that I had a guard if it was needed.

The Fire Guard is kept in the hall so the inspector will be able to see that I have one.

Please give me your comments please please.

Mollmoo aka Kerry

tulip0803
02-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I have an open fire that is never used but was told I needed the secured fire guard to protect the children from the hearth and from the actual fire in case they fell against it. If you do not use the guard then you will have to risk assess and show how you can prevent injury to a child if they fell. (I think)

miffy
02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I have a gas fire in my lounge which we never use and I don't have a fire guard - once I'd gone through this with Ofsted it's never been a problem (or even talked about) at other inspections.

As you can explain to Ofsted and show the fireguard then I don't think you'll have a problem. I'm guessing you have another way of heating the room.

If you're still bothered then do a risk assessment to show Ofsted you've thought about it and covered all the angles

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
02-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Ofsted cannot tell us what we can have or not have in our home. They can ask us to justify how it is safe and secure for the mindees and you have answered this yourself by not having it on and removing the knob.

If they do make a fuss ask for them to show you in the EYFS where it states a guard must be on.

miffy
02-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I have an open fire that is never used but was told I needed the secured fire guard to protect the children from the hearth and from the actual fire in case they fell against it. If you do not use the guard then you will have to risk assess and show how you can prevent injury to a child if they fell. (I think)

Just goes to show that no two inspectors are the same :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Twinkles
02-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I agree about doing a risk assesment. I have an open fire in my lounge which is not in use when minding but I did a risk assesment anyway.

flora
02-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I have an open fire place and a log burner inn the conservatory, I haven't been picked on either but they are not used when working.

As has been suggested writw something down to show you have given it some thought :thumbsup:

jellytot
02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
oh does that mean i can take my fire guard off, i have a gas fire which never gets put on. i hate my fire guard but thought i had to have it

must admit though good for dryin clothes on it :D

Chatterbox Childcare
02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
oh does that mean i can take my fire guard off, i have a gas fire which never gets put on. i hate my fire guard but thought i had to have it

must admit though good for dryin clothes on it :D

Go for it - they cannot make you do anything

FizzysFriends
02-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't have a fire guard, I didn't when DD was little either.

DCMS
03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
My inspector said guard wasn't needed as fire isn't used. I asked about the hearth and said Id seen some foam on ebay for putting around and she said just throw a few cushions around the hearth if you have little ones. Think it must depend who you get x

Shar
03-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Why not put the guard up on the day they come just incase, less stress. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Michelle M
04-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Ofsted cannot tell us what we can have or not have in our home. They can ask us to justify how it is safe and secure for the mindees and you have answered this yourself by not having it on and removing the knob.

If they do make a fuss ask for them to show you in the EYFS where it states a guard must be on.

I totally agree :)

bingo57
04-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I have an open fire, I a smal free standing guard around the coals so that the children are not encouraged to take them off. The fire is never used when minding and we dont use the room very much for minding. Iv'e had this for 6 years now and never had any problem with ofsted.
I had my inspection on the 15th Dec 08 and they didn't even bother moving from the family room to look around any otherr part of the house.
Focussed mainly on the EYFS, how i worked in partnership with parents and other setting, planing and obs, inclusion and whistleblowing. They will check if you've addressed any recommendations form last inspection
Hope this helps

Glynis. x

Trouble
04-01-2009, 10:44 PM
i have a open fire with a little fireguard on it but i have a marble round hearth, although the fire is never on he did suggest something on the edge of the hearth incase they fell on it, they would have to get over the coffee table first but fares fare , so i put pipe insulator onthe edge with blue tack so i can take it off when i want(bit of a pain but he im showing willing)

worth a thought

a friend of mine has an arga in her kitchen and she has to have a big fire quard round hers:eek: at all times

angeldelight
05-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Just wanted to say hope your inspection goes ok

Good luck

Angel xx

mollmoo
06-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Had inspection this morning, she walked into front room and walked straight past my lovely Log Burner. ( me being me then said, do i need a fire guard, its never on - why do we do things like that bring something to their attention :blush: ) her reply no thats fine.

Then i started waffling on about having a fire guard:angry: (sometimes i wish someone would put tape over my mouth).

But the out come was no it was fine. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Kerry

Twinkles
06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Glad it all went well :thumbsup:

I'm a bit like that when I've been worrying about something I don't shut up :D

miffy
06-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Pleased it all went OK - bet you're glad it's over now too

Miffy xx

Shar
07-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Well done !!!:clapping: All that worry for nothing.