PDA

View Full Version : Scrapbooks

hello kitty
02-01-2009, 10:06 AM
I have glued loads of photos in scrapbooks for my mindees along with samples of their paintings and collages etc. Now I just need to write captions. Should I just write what is happening in the photo or should I also be referencing the EYFS, KUW, CLL etc?

I also have observation and planning books which do refer to the EYFS but not sure if the photos need to too.

What do you think or do?

sarah707
02-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Picture of John playing with the lego... caption -

John is developing his fine motor skills (PD - designing and making)...

OR John is counting the lego as he builds his tower (PSR&N - numbers for counting)...

OR while making this model, John told me that he was making a hospital for his sick animals (PSED - caring for others)...

OR John sang to himself as he made this model (CLL - using language for something or other)...

OR John was inspired to make this model after reading a book about buildings (CLL - reading)...

It really depends on what you are wanting to observe... you might have loads of obs for John's PD this month because he's spent lots of time outside, so you are looking for obs for CLL or another area of learning and development.

Does that help? :D

hello kitty
02-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Ummm, well yes.

So what you are saying is you would say what is happening in the photo and also link it to EYFS. (Not sure I have left enough space for all that though!)

I was thinking as this is primarily for the parents to view, that the EYFS statements would not mean much to them. BUT, if the book is following the child onto playgroup/school then I suppose they may be briefly interested.

It makes you wonder who you are doing this for really.

sarah707
02-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I know exactly what you are saying... I think we are all being asked to do something that nobody is hugely interested in. Don't get me wrong, most parents will love the photos and some of them will read some of the labels and gain a greater understanding of what the eyfs is all about.

However, in my experience, the first thing another setting will do is their own base line assessment which doesn't involve anything you or anyone else has given them anyway, because that's the way teachers have always worked.

However, if we don't link stuff to the Eyfs, then we risk not being able to show Ofsted that we understand the 6 areas of learning and development and that we are working with them when we observe and plan, which is a no-no at inspection time.

I try and keep my notes short and sweet, like the above - it's my compromise really. :D

Mrs.L.C
02-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Iv been advised...a small caption by the photo with the area of learning like Sarah has said and then if you have room under a few you can right next steps and this can be used as you planning. I do the same with the written observations