PDA

View Full Version : HOLIDAYS IN 2009

Mollymop
30-12-2008, 01:32 PM
I have worked none stop from when I first registered in April til the xmas school holidays (now)- and I really really felt like I needed a break to keep my sanity

So I have worked out what holidays I am going to take off in 2009 already so that I can put in my Jan or Feb newsletter so the parents have plenty of notice.

These are the dates - the 4 days after easter Monday

2 weeks off in the summer holidays (last week of July and first week of August.

and 2 weeks off at xmas, like I am doing at the moment (not back til the 5th jan)

Why is it that some of us feel so guilty about taking time off? I have noticed it more and more on here lately.
I know now that I must take time off now and again as I am working 5 days a week from 7am til 6.30pm (except Tuesdays)I find no time to do anything and me and my kids ahve really enjoyed having the house to ourselves this holiday season

I think my own kids needed a break this year as much as I did.

Does anyone actually work all through the year full time with out taking a few weeks off?
Has anyone worked out their holidays for next year?

Hebs
30-12-2008, 01:41 PM
well i've just book my annual holidays for 2010 so i know when i need to be off, need to plan the rest too

:clapping:

crazybones
30-12-2008, 01:55 PM
This year was the first I have ever taken 2 weeks off in the summer and I have booked the same 2 weeks next year. Plays havoc with the finances but hey ho :rolleyes:

charleyfarley
30-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't tend to book time off unless we're going on holiday so this year I've only had time off when the parents have booked it. It'll be the same next year too.

I was really looking forward to having my xmas break to do things with my family but so far Charley has been poorly and now I have a flu type bug.

Take your hols and don't feel guilty, enjoy them

Carol xx

jeanybeany
30-12-2008, 02:44 PM
This year I had May 1/2 term off and actually lost a child because of it. The child in mind only came to me during the school hols and my other mindee's parents worked in a school, so I felt I couldn't take my hols then and I also do not like taking my children out of school. It was only four days as the Mon was a bank hol. I gave them about 2 months notice and offered to find them an alternative childminder for the time I was on Hol. I got a phone call one day to say the child was going to another childminder who could offer all the school holidays and promised they would not take time off like me. I also knew though that the child's parents took all their hols in term time when their child was at school. I said I'm sorry you feel like that and I did give you lots of notice and support to find other childcare.

I have had all new parents since Sept and have booked days to go on a school trip, watch my children's concert etc and have decided that from now on my family comes first and my holidays. At the end of the day you don't get any thanks for dropping everything, and I am very lucky as my new parents understand that I have a family too and actually offered to keep their child off so I could go on the trip with my lo's by myself even after I said I would take their lo with me.:) :)

Just need to decide next years now (sorry it turned out to be a long one:laughing: )

PixiePetal
30-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Our family holiday is always in school spring/easter 2 week hol and so i always take that off - tell parents when they start.

Always take time off between xmas and new year - too much stuff all over the house and I like being with my own 2 kids. Parents know this too.

Always say at initial interview that there may be other times when I need an odd day off - no pay - girls long weekends etc!! Notice given as long as possible before. :D :thumbsup:

got all term time only at the mo but would also take 2 weeks in summer if i needed it. Need a break and want to see my own family too.

We do have our own lives and you can't fit into everyone elses everytime.:D

miffy
30-12-2008, 04:26 PM
This year because I took two weeks off in February due to hubby's ill health I only had one week's holiday in June. By the time I finished at Christmas I felt shattered so I'm already planning to have more time off next year.

We all need time to relax and recharge our batteries.

Miffy xx

Mollymop
30-12-2008, 05:34 PM
I am glad you all seem to agree that we shouldnt feel guilty for taking holidays.

I would like to work round the other parents but because I have so many to work around I owuld never be able to do it. One good thing though is 2 of my mindees are only term time. x

mum22
30-12-2008, 05:41 PM
I think this year I am going to try and take it when my parents take it as nothing else planned yet......

Monkey1
30-12-2008, 05:41 PM
I gave one parent holiday dates for March back in November......she had a fit and said she couldn't take anymore till April.....i kindly pointed out that my contract with her ran from Sep to Sep and the fact she had used all her days was not my problem!:D
I keep saying i'm going to take time off in the summer but never do....will have to this year though as they are off for 7 weeks!:eek: other than that i am having four days in March, one in april and one in june! I always try and give loads of notice

patevans
30-12-2008, 06:12 PM
I dont know what to have off in 09!! Definately having a week over Christmas but other than that I dont know :rolleyes:

andreaschildcare
30-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi I took 2 days this year!

However I have just sent my January newsletter to parents and have told them I am taking a week in December 2009 as we are off to Lapland!

patevans
30-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi I took 2 days this year!

However I have just sent my January newsletter to parents and have told them I am taking a week in December 2009 as we are off to Lapland!

2 days?!?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek: I feel like I need 2 years off!!:laughing:

marion123
30-12-2008, 10:22 PM
we booked to go to mexico 29 march i gave parent the dates and mine were fine i am going to take to weeks of in the summer as well but i dont get paid but i need a rest we work long hours. Cant wait for my holiday once i get to jan it wont belong :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
31-12-2008, 12:09 AM
I think we need our time off and as you are giving lots of notice or maybe an alternative cover childminder don't feel guilty.

bingo57
31-12-2008, 08:37 AM
yes, we need time for a rest, parents dont think twice about taking their hols when they want them. I dont get paid for my hols, have booked two weeks may and 1 in summer but they have had a years notice for this(but will they remenber)
Take your hold without feeling guilty and put your feet up, you've earned it!!!!
Glynis:cool: .x

Michelle M
04-01-2009, 08:26 AM
well i've just book my annual holidays for 2010 so i know when i need to be off, need to plan the rest too

:clapping:

Gosh that is planning ahead :laughing:

I am not planning any holidays until Christmas 2009, due to one parent (I mind her 2 yr old and 14 month) on maternity leave for 9 months from April, so I will be 2 mindees down, that leaves me with one 2 year old 4 hours a day tues - Friday :(

Never mind had a holiday in 2008 to Disneyland Paris (it was pants)

FizzysFriends
04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
We are going away at the end of June to Disneyland Paris, although haven't booked anything yet, Im waiting on other people.

patevans
04-01-2009, 11:07 AM
We have just booked for tunisia in Oct for a week and will have a week in summer and another week at Christmas :clapping:

Winnie
04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I can take up to 5 weeks :laughing: never have;) but its there in black & white if i ever feel the need. I usually try to give holiday dates for the year now....so parents can sort themseleves out :rolleyes:

madasahatter
04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't know how some of you get through the year with so little holiday. I really admire you! I have booked a total of 36 days off this year (including bank holidays), all are unpaid. None of my parents complain, though thankfully they all have alternatives they can use (family & friends) if necessary. Mind you they know right from day one how much holiday I take and got the dates back in October for this next year so they get plenty of warning.
I once took the first two weeks of the summer holiday off and by the time the children went back to school I felt that I'd never had a holiday so now I take the last two weeks of the summer holiday. Usually we book fairly late on (July for end of Aug) and to be honest we've always got pretty good prices, though whether there will be the deals available this year I don't know, as I'm sure travel agents will be cutting back on what they are booking themselves.
The children go back to school tomorrow and I'm starting to countdown to our annual skiing holiday in March only 8 weeks to go! (Ooh that reminds me I need to pay the balance of the holiday! :( )

chaotic_space
04-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Ive taken the last 2 weeks off in August every year since I started childminding. There have been years when my own kids were younger when we couldn't afford to go anywhere but I took the time off anyway. Parents don't even ask me when I'll be off any more they just know :rolleyes:

Michelle M
04-01-2009, 11:34 AM
The children go back to school tomorrow and I'm starting to countdown to our annual skiing holiday in March only 8 weeks to go! (Ooh that reminds me I need to pay the balance of the holiday! :( )

Have a fab time, I am so jealous

Carol
04-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I give my parents my holiday letter the end of the year.
I have bank holidays and
One week Whitsun
Two weeks Summer
One week October Half Term
and the xmas holiday.

It is then up to the parents to either have same holidays or make arrangements for family friends to help them out.
They wouldnt think twice about booking their holidays off and I can tell you I need my holidays even if we arent going away its nice to not look at the clock.

Carol

manjay
04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Being off over Christmas has made me realise how important time off with my family is. Last year I even used my holiday time to recover from an operation so never actually got any time off:panic: I too am going away on 29th March for 2 weeks and parents have been aware of this since this time last year. I am going to take a week in the Summer hols to celebrate my 40th and I will be taking a full 2 weeks at Christmas. Dates are going out in the next week so they will have plenty of notice

childmind04
04-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I am off for 2 weeks in May school holiday and i will also need some days at the end of my ou course (great excuse)

I will also take a few days next christmas, my parents have always been fine but i know i will have a nightmare with school as my kids need 5 days out and they already had hols in Sept :(

My argument of not taking school hols usually is that they then pinch my schoolies by charging £12 for 8 till 6!!!

Susan

MrsT333
04-01-2009, 05:02 PM
As i have a young family as i have told all my parents that i will take up to 6 wks off a year, but not during school holidays....

after reading all your replies i'm shocked that i have so much time off:eek:

but parents have agreed to it, im just lucky hubby works so hard so we can afford for me to have 5/6 wks off

Dragonfly
04-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I have eight children over the week (not altogether!) and i take 21 days off a year.I give holiday dates out by Feb usually. We all need a break so dont feel at all bad about it, if its in your contracts there shouldn't be know problem.:)