PDA

View Full Version : Messy play

Monkey1
29-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Does anyone do anything slightly different? My mindees particular favourite at the moment is coloured spaghetti. Rainbow rice is great fun....although tidying up afterwards is my pet hate! Shaving foam, jelly etc are all good but i'm looking for something new for them.

miffy
29-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Cornflour gloop; tinned fruit or rice pudding; shredded paper (not especially messy).

Miffy xx

crazybones
29-12-2008, 09:19 PM
We did bowls of gloop and dropped the food colour in and then with tea spoons they stired it to make spiral patterns. Then it all ended up in a big strange coloured mess. :laughing: (and coating my kitchen cupboard doors :panic: )

Kes
29-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Clay, salt dough, lentils, soap flakes, breakfast cereals, flour although probably best done outdoors.

Polly2
29-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I have just bought some pretend snow (reduced in homebase!) you can add food colouring to it or paint I think to make it different colours.

Not tried it yet though so don't know how hard it will be to clean up!

Monkey1
29-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I can feel a trip to homebase coming on....tried that magic snow that someone suggested, said it was fool proof......not Monkey proof though!:blush:

miffy
29-12-2008, 09:33 PM
I can feel a trip to homebase coming on....tried that magic snow that someone suggested, said it was fool proof......not Monkey proof though!:blush:

What happened when you used it Monkey?

I've got some but not tried it yet.................

Miffy xx

Monkey1
29-12-2008, 09:44 PM
it hardly increased in volume and it smelled!.........looked more like yellow snow if you get my drift!

miffy
29-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Oh great - thanks for that!

Miffy xx

Monkey1
29-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Your welcome!;)

Chatterbox Childcare
29-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Mine love messy play but I do try and do it in the garden. The spaghetti changes texture when wet so it can be done in the rain too.

Polly2
29-12-2008, 10:06 PM
:laughing: :laughing: monkey! I will let you know how the homebase stuff goes - hoping to use it tomorrow ;)

fionamal
29-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Colour some washing up liquid and mix with some water in individual bowls. Give them all a straw and some paper and get them to blow through the straw into the bowl of liquid and then place the paper ontop to make pictures.

My lot love doing this and its not messy

Or they like to make pom-pom animals with wool or also paper flowers with toilet roll paper

Annie_T
29-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Have you done 'junk' modeling?
Let children choose what they need from: packets, cardboard tubes, yogurt pots, different sized empty boxes and paper.
If using cardboard egg boxes ensure there are no remnants of the egg in the box – if in doubt microwave the box.
Use sticky tape as well as glue.
Decorate with paint, glitter, stickers etc.

i googled for it see what came up -

Clean and Easy Messy Play
Children love to paint, and even the ones who do not like to get dirty will love this activity.

All you need is a container of clean water and some paint brushes.
Take the children outside and let them ‘paint’ whatever they like!

On a sunny day the ‘paint’ quickly dries up and disappears, adding an extra scientific dimension to the play.

http://www.littlies.co.nz/page.asp?id=387
http://www.nurseryactivityideas.co.uk/category/messy-play
http://www.carex.co.uk/hands-up-for-hygiene/index.htm