PDA

View Full Version : boy aged 7 - help!!

butterfly
29-12-2008, 05:43 PM
i have a new boy starting next week aged 7 after school every day for 2 hours. the trouble is i don't know what to get for him. on his questionnaire it says he likes playing on the computer and lego - but i'm not really happy about him just playing on the computer and surely he's going to get bored with lego every evening?! he doesn't enjoy art and craft and my outside area isn't big enough for bikes, football etc. obviously some days we can go to the park but not every day.

any ideas what i can get or do?

sarah707
29-12-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't see a huge problem with him using the computer most days - my lot do. You've not failed if they are doing something they are happy with.

My 9 year old mindee enjoys making models, playing with the cars (I save him tubes and he makes ramps), toy soldiers (he sets them up in a corner with DVD and video boxes, reading, puzzle books (I bought a few Quiz Kids ones from the corner shop and he dips in and out of them)... things like that :D

mushpea
29-12-2008, 06:17 PM
my son is 8 after school each day he will do somthing from the following
playstation (mind you we just bought a wii so could be that now!)
ds
tv
lego -he likes it with instrucitons to follow as his imagination isn't great
action figures ie turtles, transformers
bioncles
read books
annoy his sister:eek:

he also dosnt like any type of messy play or crafts but does enjoy cooking so you could see if this lad would like to help with cooking or making a snack.
if you provide a few basic things for him at first then the more he comes you will get to know him and what he likes.
also if you are worried about the computer then show his parents the questionaire and ask how they feel about him being on the computer every day and what the would like him to do or what they do with him

Hebs
29-12-2008, 06:24 PM
my son is 8, and he's LEGO mad and would happily sit doing it all day lol

if he's like my son then he'll be happy

Chatterbox Childcare
29-12-2008, 06:51 PM
I have a mixture of ages of boys and girls and find that they all want to play together.

As you only have him for 2 hours, by the time you are home, changed and snacked it will be time to go again! I would allow tv, dvd, playstation etc as he needs to unwind. I would ask what he likes to do as you may find mobilo, drawing, reading come up too.

Annie_T
29-12-2008, 07:49 PM
cars,
lego
k'nex
computer(xbox etc i mean)?
soliders
role paly things (my boy is 8 and plays with the play food i got for minding)

butterfly
29-12-2008, 08:06 PM
thanks everyone! you've made me feel much better! i won't go and dive into the sales and buy loads then! i was thinking about Magnetix? Has any one used it? it's on sale in argos at the moment.

the trouble is i want to spend loads on chinese new year stuff which I think will be better!!