PDA

View Full Version : 2 under 1 will it continue?

butterfly
24-12-2008, 09:35 AM
since i was registered in july i have had a variation for two under one. This was because i had my own son under one and wanted to have another child under one. However my certificate did not refer to any child in particular so i was allowed two under one (including my son) all the time. i hope you're keeping up!!

any way last week my son turned one. I phoned ofsted and informed them and they asked if i wanted a change to my registration. i explained that i didn't think it would change as i was already allowed a under one. the guy said yes this was right.

however since then i've been thinking that i've managed two under ones for 5 months and haven't had a probem so i wondered if they would still allow this if i wrote and explained? the thing is though i wouldn't want the variation with a particular child in mind do you think they would do this?

sarah707
24-12-2008, 09:39 AM
As far as I am aware you can only have a variation for a specific child on certain days and times...

But it's always worth writing in and asking :D

miffy
24-12-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree with Sarah.

My certificate doesn't name the children either but it does say that the variation is allowed for "those children named in the variation request dated ...." so it is still specific.

Good luck

Miffy xx

balloon
24-12-2008, 07:22 PM
My certificate does not say anything about specific children just says 2 children under one. Not sure about the stuff that came with it though, will have to take a peek as one of mine is one soon too...

Jules27
27-12-2008, 10:46 PM
I have a variation and on my certificate it states days and number of hours!!:laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
28-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Normally certificates only refer to minded children so the 2 under 1 should not refer to your own.

If the certificate says 1 under 1 but with a variance with letter dated .... then the variation will be cancelled when you child turns 1 (if you tell them) but if it says just 2 under 1 you have this plus your own child and it will not need changing.

I would email Ofsted and ask for clarification. www.ofsted.gov.uk

LittleStars
28-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Do you think you could cope with 2 under 1s and your LO who has just turned 1????

I have a 7m and 15m and an 16m on 2 days a week...even with a proper triple buggy this is REALLY hard work...... 3 highchairs...3 cots...3 lots of nappy changes...3 fixed car seats..think about it quite carefully before you do it. 2 little ones are quite easy as you have 2 hands and can manage to carry 2 at once...but add in a 3rd and its quite tricky. And mine are considerably older than your 3 would be too...

Jen x

Michelle M
04-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I agree with Sarah.

My certificate doesn't name the children either but it does say that the variation is allowed for "those children named in the variation request dated ...." so it is still specific.

Good luck

Miffy xx

Mine states the same

loocyloo
04-01-2009, 05:53 PM
i have had a few variations to allow me to have 2 under 1 ..for sets of twins, and then when DD was a babe, i had another of a similar age too. Ofsted told me that although i have to ask for it each time, i have it as a permanent variation on my file!

worth giving them a call!

xxx

bingo57
04-01-2009, 10:57 PM
I had a variation for two under 1 but this was 18 months ago. Had my inpsection just before xmas and asked the inspection to kep the variation on my certificate as I may be needing it shortly, no problem at all.

Glynis.x

rickysmiths
05-01-2009, 12:17 PM
I have had numerous variations over the years. All have been for set children and hours. For the last 3yrs the variation has been detailed on my cert though of course not names. OSTED seem to have different rules for different childminders. Some of my friends have 2 under 1s one their certs perm unspecfic to use for any children when I asked I was told to apply for each variation in writting!? I have done this and only once had to take it to a Panel Meeting with them scarry but it was worth it got the variation I needed.

I would always write to OFTED detailing clearly what you want, always be prep to press for what you need , your parents will support you and so will the parent who needs the change. Dont overload yourself its very hard work looking after 4 under fives like I do 2 10hour days a week.or even 2 under ones it is different when they are not you're own , OFSTED ratios are there for a reason and not just to annoy us believe it or not.

roseybev
05-01-2009, 11:04 PM
your certifcate should never have childrens name on them but they are only for the child you asked them for in the first place .they are ment to be updated ever 6 months aswell.hope this has helped and be careful that if they say it is ok get it in writing from them to state that it is ok to carry on using it ,it would be not good to start someone then have to give them up .:) hope this helps always get thing in writing so they cant change there minds

Rubybubbles
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
I agree with Sarah.

Good luck

Miffy xx

when I had a variation this is what mine said too

murphy61
06-01-2009, 02:47 PM
When i had my inspection before christmas the inspecter told me that because i have a level 2 qualification i could have my registration changed so that i could care for 2 under 1, she said all i had to do was write in asking them to make the changes.

do you have a qualification?

As you've already had the variation and can prove you can cope write to them and ask them if you can change your registration, there's no harm in asking.

butterfly
06-01-2009, 02:54 PM
When i had my inspection before christmas the inspecter told me that because i have a level 2 qualification i could have my registration changed so that i could care for 2 under 1, she said all i had to do was write in asking them to make the changes.

do you have a qualification?

As you've already had the variation and can prove you can cope write to them and ask them if you can change your registration, there's no harm in asking.

i have a teaching degree and a PGDip in Early Years however I don't have anything specific to say about babies. What do you think? I'm in two minds - i could fill my spaces but would i be too overworked with children aged 22mths, 8mths and 6mths? it might be worth thinking about though as one of my fav mindees mum's is having a baby next month and wants to put the baby with me but i currently don't have any room for her!!