PDA

View Full Version : CHRISTMAS SAFETY

KARENBE
23-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Thinking I've been a childminder too many years!

On Saturday I was at a celebration held in the home of a mindees relative
and found that a 'Risk Assessment' was going on automatically in my head
every now and again, over the three hours we were there.

I had to resist the urge to guard the baubles and fairy lights, pick up the cushions left on the floor (by adults who had sat on them), get a tray and confiscate glasses of unattended mulled wine, replace the low level cups of spiced tea with cups of water, pop a guard around the brick hearth etc etc.

Bearing in mind the three tiny tots are all under two, imagine my surprise when out came the Christmas crackers - great fun - little bits everywhere.
The surprise was that the adults gave the tiny toys and junk inside to the
little ones!
And us childminders go to such lengths to keep them safe on our premises.

So you see I need to take a chill out pill.

Shirlwith3
23-12-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm abit like that, I babysit one of my mindees every week 2 nights a week & I sit in the living room doing a mentle risk assessment I did find 2 low level sockets with no covers on them but they have now.
Arn't we sad.

Shirl

ajs
23-12-2008, 08:03 AM
one of my mindees lives right next to a canal and her garden runs parrellel to it
ofsted would have kittens if we did but this family have made no safety provision either.
r is there 3rd child and i bet not one of them have fallen in though

Blaze
23-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Thank goodness I'm not the only one!:laughing:

buildingblocks
24-12-2008, 07:08 AM
every now and again, over the three hours we were there..

I am so glad it is not just me who does this. I do it all the time but found myself doing it once in a childminders house that was so not risk assessed.

Pipsqueak
24-12-2008, 08:18 AM
lol - snap I do it too.... even when I am in the childrens center/soft play etc...:laughing: :laughing:

Tatia
24-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Haha! I was just saying this the other day. I was at a b-day party for a minder friend's daughter. It was a gym party and I had to leave the hall and go into kitchen to keep myself from tidying up the balls from the ball pit and also had to stop myself from telling the kids to stop throwing the balls out of the pit!:blush: Plus I was a nervous wreck in the kitchen when children were in there and parents were walking over them with hot drinks in their hands.

It's hard to switch off, I think. We all need to learn how to de-program ourselves! I'm glad I'm not the only one, though.:laughing:

mandy moo
24-12-2008, 09:30 AM
And I thought it was just me:blush:
Nice to know Im not the only one..:laughing:

sue m
24-12-2008, 10:27 AM
I reckon we're all like it, it's banged into us before we're registered!

At the bottom of my garden is a railway line and for years there was no fence as such, you could walk straight on to the line from my garden. When Steve was 'wandering' cos he had alzheimer's, it really worried me he's be on the line so I had a 9 month war with Network Rail. I kept writing to them and sending photos of how easy it was to get onto THEIR line from MY garden and I lied and said I had grandkids coming every weekend. They kept absolutely refusing and said they had no intention of putting a fence up so I emailed my local news people and they got onto them and were going to come here to put it on tv and sure enough, a fence went up within weeks!

Sorry, that went off the subject a bit but just reminded me!

Pipsqueak
24-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes but Sue, don'cha know that children should KNOW not to play on an exciting train line!!!!:D :D

sue m
24-12-2008, 11:56 AM
:laughing: Wouldn't they love it!? The little girl I look after who is 17 months, she'd be on there like a shot, she's such a tomboy! The little boy who is almost 3 would stand having serious doubts! I was SO pleased when Network Rail HAD to put this fence up cos I was going on the telly to show everyone. I know for a fact Steve would have gone down there with having alzheimer's.

a.lmb
24-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I think we are all the same, parents expect miracles from us and so do ofsted but they dont bother at home themselves also by letting the children play and watch over their age things and they dont seem to see it as a problem.

miffy
29-12-2008, 04:31 PM

every now and again, over the three hours we were there.

I had to resist the urge to guard the baubles and fairy lights, pick up the cushions left on the floor (by adults who had sat on them), get a tray and confiscate glasses of unattended mulled wine, replace the low level cups of spiced tea with cups of water, pop a guard around the brick hearth etc etc.

Bearing in mind the three tiny tots are all under two, imagine my surprise when out came the Christmas crackers - great fun - little bits everywhere.
The surprise was that the adults gave the tiny toys and junk inside to the
little ones!
And us childminders go to such lengths to keep them safe on our premises.

So you see I need to take a chill out pill.

Sorry but this made me laugh - hope you've managed to chill out a bit over Christmas!

Miffy xx

marion123
29-12-2008, 05:22 PM
im glad im not the only one too :laughing: :laughing: