PDA

View Full Version : Childproofing

snowbunny
22-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi,

I'm still very excited about my briefing meeting etc and can't wait until Feb 7th! It seems soooo long away :blush:

I have already started doing posters etc and have started to try and think of activites...I have been thinking though - do you have to fully childproof your place before your pre-reg visit from Ofsted or can you tell them what you plan to do and make sure they are aware that you know things have to be done - we have a glass dining table and I guess I'll have to do something with the corners? and add child clips to the kitchen cabinets etc?

I'm also going to ask - do you recommend buying a pushchair for your mindees or would the parents supply this? I don't have children of my own yet - hopefully in the near future...

Thanks ladies for all the help you've been giving me!!! and I'm sorry i keep banging on like i do but I'm so excited, I've always wanted to do this! xx

Amy xx

chaotic_space
22-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi snowbunny

Ofsted will want to see your child proofing in place at your inspection and you might as well be ready anyway because who knows how quickly you'll fill your first place!

Most childminders have their own buggies but there is no reason why you need to pay out for one right away or at all I suppose. Parents must have them after all. I strongly recomend you buy your own pram blanket though because blankets, like coats are often forgotten especially if parents arrive by car :rolleyes:

You may need to have safety flim over your glass table, Id give Ofsted a ring over that. I had to have it over the fish tank and that was on a high shelf.

It's exciting! You'll do great Im sure :)

Annie_T
22-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi,

I'm still very excited about my briefing meeting etc and can't wait until Feb 7th! It seems soooo long away :blush:

I have already started doing posters etc and have started to try and think of activites...I have been thinking though - do you have to fully childproof your place before your pre-reg visit from Ofsted or can you tell them what you plan to do and make sure they are aware that you know things have to be done - we have a glass dining table and I guess I'll have to do something with the corners? and add child clips to the kitchen cabinets etc? No as long as you know what to do your be ok hun

I'm also going to ask - do you recommend buying a pushchair for your mindees or would the parents supply this? I don't have children of my own yet - hopefully in the near future... I have one here ready - from ebay

Thanks ladies for all the help you've been giving me!!! and I'm sorry i keep banging on like i do but I'm so excited, I've always wanted to do this! xx

Amy xx

hope this helps your be fine hun

pinklady
22-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Check freecycle for any pushchairs that people are getting rid of.

I have a glass dining table which is fine. Just check for the kite mark on it or if it says tempered glass on it somewhere then you wont need to cover it in safety film. I also keep mine covered with a protective mat if my children are using it.:thumbsup:

Good luck :)

Esther xx

tulip0803
22-12-2008, 05:26 PM
It's easier to have your own pushchairs. Parents often forget their child's coat so are just as likely to forget pushchairs. Also if you have 2 small children from 2 different families you may need a double & both families may not have one - BUT you do not need to buy these until you need them. You may get a grant from your local authority to help with essential stuff (but not all areas have them).

Check out freecycle, charity shops, classifieds in local paper, Ebay, sales, boot fairs, jumble sales etc. They do not have to be new just in good condition and safe:) . You have a while to keep your eye out for useful things.

I haven't used corner protecters since my 1st (now 16) was little - he peeled them all off or they didn't fit properly. Speak to your inspector if you are unsure, at the pre-reg they are there to give advice as well as have a look:D . Yes to cupboard locks, stair gates, glass covering if not tempered or safety glass. Look at your doors and see whether little ones could let themselves out without you knowing. Get down on your hands and knees and see things from child height you can spot things you won't see standing.

Good luck:)

chaotic_space
22-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a hob guard that I actually bought when my own daughter was a toddler but still use. My kitchen is long and narrow so if two adults are passing near the cooker it can be a close thing. It reasures me.

snowbunny
22-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks Ladies, this has helped a lot! Another couple of things marked down on my list to check and ask questions about :)

I'm so excited! I'm already writing up policies etc and my meetings not until Feb!! :blush:

x

chaotic_space
22-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Preperation is a good thing and while you are so motivated you go woman!

You wont always be this enthusiastic about your paper work :rolleyes: