PDA

View Full Version : Older Children's Care

teacake2
21-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi, sorry for a long one but just need to satisfy myself that I am doing it right.

I look after 5 older children occasionally and want to ask if what I am offering them and what they want to do will satisfy OFSTED ( I know a silly thing to say really with OFSTED).
A is 7, she comes some times in the school holidays (I look after her 4 year old brother), she likes to play on her DS - ICT - KUW
likes to write stories and play junior scrabble - CLL
likes to do craft things - CD, PD
and likes to play with any of the toys that I have and so this can cover a multitude of things.

M is 9 A is 8, M comes after school 2 days 3.30 - 5.00pm. he likes to watch the telly for a while, play with the 1 year old, he has a snack and a drink, and when prompted to will talk about school, he is not keen though as my Son is his teacher.
A comes occasionally in the holidays, he likes to play with lego that he brings, his DS, on the computer. He doesn't like crafts or playing with the others, he also has my Son as his teacher.
I am not entirely sure if I need to link these things to the EYFS to prove to OFSTED that they have the opportunity to do things if they want to.

C 13 and N 16, sisters (my godchildren) have been with me since N was 6 months old. Very occasionally they come after school for an hour. They only want to use the computer, text their friends, sometimes the C will play with little ones and gets the toys out.
Both like to watch telly and moan about school, they help themselves to a drink or snack if they want on.

Do you think that it would be best to write something down and perhaps take photos to show evidence to OFSTED?, I have heard somewhere, probably on here, that we have to ensure that we are showing evidence up to the age of 17?
As I said sorry for the long on but would just like to get things right as could be due inspection soon.:( :( :( :(

sarah707
21-12-2008, 07:25 PM
You are clearly meeting their needs because you are complementing the care they get elsewhere.

Even for older children I have a little folder and put in occasional photos, notes about things they've done and said etc. I also share highs and lows with their parents.

You do not need to meet the learning and development requirements for older children and you will not be inspected on these - because they run out at age 5/6.

What you do need to show is that you are secure with meeting the Childcare Requirements... especially the bits that are different between the Eyfs and the requirements on things like your complaints policy.

angeldelight
22-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Sounds great well done to you

Angel xx