PDA

View Full Version : Dydd Santes Dwynwen!!

manjay
25-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Saint Dwynwen is the Welsh patron saint of friendship and love and Saint Dwynwen’s Day, Dydd Santes Dwynwen, is celebrated on 25 January.

Dwynwen, the daughter of Brychan Brycheiniog, the King of Wales, lived during the 5th century and was renowned for her beauty. As the legend goes, Dwynwen had fallen in love with Maelon Dafodrill, but her father had already made arrangements for her to marry someone else. When Maelon discovered this he lost his temper, turned on Dwynwen then left her. Heartbroken, Dwynwen turns to God and asks him to release her from her feelings for Maelon.

Three Wishes
In a dream, an angel who provides her with a magic potion visits her. Maelon drinks the potion and is immediately turned to ice. Dwynwen then prays for that Maelon be released; that, through her, God looks after all true lovers; and that she remains unmarried. Her requests are granted and in order to show her gratitude Dwynwen decides to devote the rest her life to God.

St Dwynwen’s Day has grown in popularity recently and many Welsh speakers now prefer to celebrate their relationship on this day in January instead of St Valentine’s Day which is held in February.

We are celebrating this today so thought I would share!!

amanda xx

emler
25-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Oooh thank you for that Amanda - enjoy your celebrations! We are supposed to be celebrating Robert Burns Day but since its Ems birthday we are celebrating that instead lol

Emler x

angeldelight
25-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks for that Amanda very interesting

Angel xx

sarah707
25-01-2008, 09:06 AM
What a lovely story! Thanks Amanda :D

Polly2
25-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Very romantic Amanda!

I am Welsh and not heard that story - so thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Minnie Minx
25-01-2008, 09:43 AM
that's much nicer then valentines day which is far too commercial

xx

miffy
31-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm a bit late catching up with this but i'm printing out your story to save for next year so thank you Amanda

Miffy xx

LittleMissSparkles
31-01-2008, 08:31 PM
thanks for the story Amanda x

deeb66
03-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Great story Amanda....I have printed it off and put in my festival file.

thanks very much