PDA

View Full Version : Potty training

cuffleygirl
18-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi
I am at wits end over potty training my mindee who is 3 in the new year.
I have asked for advice on this before but I am at the point of using a pull-up for the sake of my home and sanity.
I am told by Dad that he perfectly fine at home, however, Mum tells me he has accidents (they live in the same house!). He has been 'potty training' since last January and still hasn't completely got the hang of it, although I think he is confused and there is a new baby on the way now too.

The parents say he wears pants at home, the mindee says he wears a nappy, I see him tumble tots with his mum in a nappy, at the nursery party yesterday he was with mum in pants and he wet himself.
They have asked that he wears pants at mine, previously I suggested a pull up until he would tell me he wanted the toilet for 'health and safety' and for my sofa, they didn't want this.

I have told M&D that I happy to follow their lead but we all need to be consist, I feel I am keeping my side and they are being lazy.
The accidents are a couple of times a day, not once in a while, I suggest he tries for a wee, he doesn't want to or dribbles a bit and then a little while later he gushes on the carpet.

I feel for him as it is confusing, but also its my home he weeing over.
I am seriously considering just using a pull up though its not right but I feel his parents have no respect for me or my home, he leaves at the end of Feb.
Where do I go now?

madasahatter
18-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Have you tried the old fashioned plastic training pants with the towelling lining (old fashioned pull ups. You can still get them in Boots (I got some on our local market). If you combine them with underpants they will contain a reasonable sized wee but without the puddle and here's the crunch point...unlike pull-ups the child will very quickly feel very uncomfortable..cold, clammy etc and it may just help him associate the feeling with a desire to go to the loo/potty.

sue m
18-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm having a problem with my mindee who is very bright and talks really well but, wets himself. He's 3 next month and I put him in pants as soon as he gets here, he comes in pull ups - and some days he's great and tells me he needs the loo, others he's not so great. Today we've had 3 accidents. Only had 3 pairs of pants but he was stripped off at one point cos his jeans and tee shirt were wet. Had to dry them on the radiator for him to go home, yuk! I only had him 16 hours a week so not sure what goes on at home and with the grandparents who also look after him.

Off to wash my chair now!!!

Minstrel
18-12-2008, 05:18 PM
personally i dont think potty training should be that hard work if the parents have waited until child is def ready- and in this case if after a year:eek: he is still having accidents then he must not be ready. it does seem a shame to take a step backwards but sometomes its for the best. If he keeps 'failing at it then thats all he will come to expect of himself. Hope you get it sorted with the parents too xxx *hugs*

PixiePetal
18-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Lack of consistency can't help.

I would suggest a break for a month then all start from the same page.