PDA

View Full Version : Why do parents insist on sending their children....

MissTinkerbell
17-12-2008, 04:03 PM
....when they are SO obviously not well.:panic:

Mindee came last Tuesday and dad said she had a temp but they'd given her Calopol and she was now OK. Stupidly I agreed to have her. She deteriorated during the day and her temp rocketed to 40 degrees. I sent her home. She was off on the Wed but came back on the Thursday. She wasn't too bad. Friday she came having been up most of the night with a bad cough.:angry:

She came Monday but I refused to have her - told she had a temp and could see she had a runny nose and really bad cough. I suggested they get her in at the docs. She was off Tuesday. Dad dropped her off this morning saying she'd had no breakfast because she refused it but had been playing yesterday.:rolleyes:

She cried for 15 minutes after dad left. She rallied at little and then went down for a nap at 9.30. Woke at 12.30 very distressed - refused lunch and a drink and an ice lolly. Phoned both mum and dad but both phones going to voice mail. Eventually got in touch with dad who came and picked her up. Told him that I didn't want her back until she was completely better. Although no doubt she'll pobably turn up Friday morning!

I'm seriously considering rewriting my sick child policy to say that if a parent feels a child needs Calpol, etc then they need to be at home. My own little boy has developed a chest infection and my 2 girls have been ill and I'm sure that this is down to the fact that I've had a sick mindee.

What do you guys do about sick mindees - when do you accept them and when do you say 'no'. This is all new to me and I hate saying no but its now made both me and my own children ill.

Pipsqueak
17-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Mmm its a tough one - sometimes a dose of Calpol can get them up and running for the rest of the day, othertimes the need the Calpol but they need to be at home with their parent(s).

My mindees mum told me Saturday night when I bumped into her when I was out that she was so glad he had been ok when he was with me... I must have looked puzzled because she laughed and said oh he had been sick on the Wednesday night before I dropped him of to you on Thursday and then he was sick again on Thursday evening:eek: :eek: I had LO on both Thursday/Friday:doh: I just couldn't believe it.

I think half the time the parents don't tell the whole truth about how the LO's are if they are poorly - they see it as you are at home therefore you can care for them in lieu of them (the parents) being home.:rolleyes:

yummymummy
17-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Agree with Pipsqueak, although parents are aware of your sickness policy they think it is ok to send their children as you are at home.
Makes me cross too, some parents keep their children at home at the drop of a hat but some would send them with Bubonic plague!!!!! :laughing:

sunflower
17-12-2008, 06:55 PM
It does make you mad tho...i have had a mindee for the past few days with high tempeture cough and guess what i have got the same started today,
thing is i cant afford to have the time off and if mindee was kept at home when poorly maybe i wouldnt of caught it :angry:

mandy moo
17-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Totally agree Pipsqueak and sunflower, why do they think we as childminders or others in our care, would want to catch their illnesses is beyond me!
Yes they all work, I appreciate that, but as has been said before, If Im ill and need to take time off (possibly because of their child) I dont get paid..

patevans
17-12-2008, 07:59 PM
I had a parent come to pay fee's tonight, her attitude towards me was horrific because I told her this morning that A needed to be off for at least 48hrs because she has the sickness bug!! :angry:

jeanybeany
17-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I must be very lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My parents come and pick their children up if they are ill and usually keep them off for a couple of days after to make sure they are ok. We still get the bugs going around as sometimes they become ill during the day when they have appeared fine or I may just be being nice about my parents, but on the whole they are good in that respect.

sammy
18-12-2008, 02:25 AM
i havnt really looked too deeply into this, although if a child has sickness or diarreah they need to stay away for 48hrs.

Although i have had a hcild come to me who was sick in the morning, but she said hes a sicky child anyway, and cant handle certain foods etc, so i let this one go.

Also had a parent come in and just happened to mention that her one was ill with a chest infection and was on antibiotics.

then i had another with the same but as he is full time, i was giving him antibiotics for his chest infection.

Should i be taking him if hes ill, i never know whats really catching and whats not.

Like my son has tonsilitis and has a raging temperature at the moment, it hit 106.2 this evening, but everyones happy to bring there kids here.

I did mention to one of the mums i will see how my son is in the morning as he will need a bit of mummy time to cuddle up to him.

MissTinkerbell
19-12-2008, 05:16 PM
An update...

Well little one didin't come. It would seem that they took her to the doctors - she has a bad chest infection and is now on antibiotics!:(

Makes me wonder if they'd kept her at home the very first time that she was ill then this wouldn't have happened. I just hope that the poor litttle mite is not ill over Xmas.

childmind04
20-12-2008, 10:58 AM
My parents are usually sensible apart from the doctors who i mind for!!!

I have had to stop looking at another forum as all thats on their is stuff about cm's sending children home ill and how wrong we are to charge :angry: and why cant we just have them, and aparently you cant catch a cold, did i miss that one? how else do they spread????

Susan

FizzysFriends
20-12-2008, 11:07 AM
My parents are usually sensible apart from the doctors who i mind for!!!

I have had to stop looking at another forum as all thats on their is stuff about cm's sending children home ill and how wrong we are to charge :angry: and why cant we just have them, and aparently you cant catch a cold, did i miss that one? how else do they spread????

Susan

I was reading that but stopped as they were slating cm's so much and totally uncalled for.