PDA

View Full Version : parents wont inform me of drop off or collection times

Earthmother
17-12-2008, 03:48 PM
HI everyone. I would love some advice as I am having a problem with the parents of the kids I mind and its making me lose heart over the childminding. I look after 2 children, whose parents are both university students. Neither set of parents EVER let me know their drop off and pick up plans. I keep them a place and am paid for a fulltime place for each child. Mon to fri 8am to 5pm, so maybe they feel as they are paying me for the days that they can drop off and collect without notice. I know it sounds silly but I hate sitting in waiting..and waiting... for example today Adam didnt turn up after his mum said he would be here today. I rang her at 3pm to be told 'oh i took him to stay with his granny last night he wont be in today'. This happens with Adam about 3 days per week. Ive just been unlcuky this time as the last kids I minded I had their parents drop off and collection times. I cant plan excursions, trips or even walks now as I have to sit in waiting.
Anyone else experienced this?
P.s as they are student mums I charge them a lower rate(I live opposite a huge university campus and used to be chair person of the creche there).It is clear in the contracts that they get a reduced rate, as due to their timetables, often dont leave the kids here every contracted hour. Now I feel as Im being made sit in every contracted hour I should raise my fees!
Sorry for the rant, blessings, wendy xoxoxo

madasahatter
17-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Have you explained to them how it is affecting you. How you have been unable to take other children out, nip to the shops etc etc. They may not realise just how rude/ignorant/thoughtless they are being.
Could you use some examples (true or otherwise) eg you'd booked X in for toddler Xmas party, paid the money and then couldn't go as he never turned up and parents hadn't told you.
Perhaps tell them that you will be in a certain place at a certain time and that if they arrive after say 9.30am they will have to bring him there themselves (which may or may not be out of their way)
I would consider writing a polite but forceful letter explaining why you need to know what time they are bringing their child if it is different to the contracted hours and tell them that if they haven't contacted you by say 9am on a contracted day you will assume they are not bringing child X and go about your daily plans charging them as per normal.
If they don't contact you on a given day go out somewhere/anywhere. They will only do it once or twice and will then get the message. Particularly when they phone you and you say well I didn't think you were coming because you never told me you were going to be late! If you want me to have him that's fine but I am (insert appropriate place).
Hope some of this helps

madasahatter
17-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Same could go for pick up times - go out a few times to the park, shops, library etc and they may get the message about telling you when they are going to pick up especially if they've been waiting in the cold for you to come back!

Pipsqueak
17-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Good advice given already, I would explain verbally to both parents that you cannot just sit in and wait to see if and when they are going to turn up.
This is not beneficial to any other children in your care.

It sounds like you have been very tolerant, patient, generous and flexible with these parents and they are now taking the proverbial.

I would call them in for a contract review - give them fair warning ie two weeks. And state that you know need to know drop off and collection times for each child, each day.
Can I just ask why you offer a reduced rate for them? I understand they are uni students but I bet they get some type of childcare help - make sure you aren't selling yourself short.

Remember you are a professional childcarer and they are not treating you as such - not to mention you are running your own business and ergo you set the terms and conditions (obviously being flexible and accomodating to a degree) not them. If they don't like it I think they are going to be hard pushed to find another childcare setting that would be a flexi as you.

flora
17-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Good advice given already, I would explain verbally to both parents that you cannot just sit in and wait to see if and when they are going to turn up.
This is not beneficial to any other children in your care.

It sounds like you have been very tolerant, patient, generous and flexible with these parents and they are now taking the proverbial.

I would call them in for a contract review - give them fair warning ie two weeks. And state that you know need to know drop off and collection times for each child, each day.
Can I just ask why you offer a reduced rate for them? I understand they are uni students but I bet they get some type of childcare help - make sure you aren't selling yourself short.

Remember you are a professional childcarer and they are not treating you as such - not to mention you are running your own business and ergo you set the terms and conditions (obviously being flexible and accomodating to a degree) not them. If they don't like it I think they are going to be hard pushed to find another childcare setting that would be a flexi as you.

Ditto to Pi'ps advice :thumbsup:

a.lmb
17-12-2008, 08:00 PM
dnt worry we know what u mean, say to them need to know what time u are droping and collecting as of the morning as im planning on going out if i so happen to be out u will have to drop child and collect where ever i so happen to be.

patevans
17-12-2008, 08:05 PM
say to them need to know what time u are droping and collecting as of the morning as im planning on going out if i so happen to be out u will have to drop child and collect where ever i so happen to be.

Thats what I do now, I say I will be in this place at this time collect or drop off there!!

jeanybeany
17-12-2008, 08:32 PM
I would advice the same as everyone else and as for the fee's, I would charge the same of a little more than my usual fee's. I find all students I have minded for get help with their childcare fee's. Consider putting it up that way if they continue to mess you about you won't feel so put out atleast you will get your proper hourly rate. Good luck.:)

miffy
17-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I definitely think you should talk to them - they may not realise why it is important you know about drop-off and collection times.

Then if that doesn't work I would just carry on with whatever I wanted to do and let them contact you on your mobile to arrange where to meet (this might be inconvenient to them if you're out but eventually they might get the message).

Hope it won't come to that and you get it sorted

Miffy xx

Nettynoo
17-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Agree with all of the above and definitely put your charges back up to the going rate as they do get their childcare fees paid! I have just filled out some forms for a uni student and he gets it all paid by them!!! Also, how would they feel if their child was with you to undertake all the activities you promised and they had to sit in and wait for someone else's child to arrive!!!!!
Good luck with whatever you decide!!

angeldelight
18-12-2008, 05:10 AM
Some good advice given from everyone

Just wanted to say stick to your guns and dont let them walk all over you

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xx

Tired
18-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Explain to them that one of the advantages of putting thier children with a childminder is the opportunity to go out and have experiences in the real world. Explain the advantage of this over a nursery, where the children are confined to one setting, often to one room, all day.

Then tell them that you are not being able to offer this type of service if you at the moment, as you have to sit in waiting all day. They might realise how much thier children are missing out, and this might encourage them to be more thoughtfull in future.

don the duck
18-12-2008, 07:20 AM
def some advice..... i agree..... id explain that u cant sit at home all day waitin for them to arrive as u like to attend groups..

also increase payment to full.

Good luck

tinkerbelle
18-12-2008, 08:11 AM
i have a mum from uni who used to do this i then kept going out n wasnt here when she arrived to drop off she soon got the message and now gives me rota on a friday for the following week

emmadines
18-12-2008, 09:22 AM
i have a mum who is a nurse, the matron is a moo fir giving her the off dutie but she manages to. (she also uses the cranky childminder line lol)

either way the student should know what they are doing a minium of a week in advance. ask them for a weekly plan so that you have an idea of what you are doing the following week, stated to them that they NEED to keep to this as much as possible.

good luck