PDA

View Full Version : 6mo mindee refuses to sleep in cot - heeelp

acorns
15-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I have a 6mo new mindee who is lovely and has started to settle well:). Mum tells me that he doesn't sleep through the night, sleeps in their bed and b/feeds on demand through the night. Consequently, when I put him down in the cot he has no idea what it is for and simply refuses to sleep however tired he is, the minute I pick him up and rock him his eyes shut & he is soundo. Mum is very keen to get him sleeping through the night and to get him sleeping in the cot. He has only been with me for 2 weeks so it's a bit early to start changing things for him but I wondered if any of you have had similar 'problems' and how you got them sleeping without being rocked. (he's over 9kg and my back is killing me so we really have to sort this out)(mum rocks him to sleep but is happy for me to do whatever I want to get him asleep)

miffy
15-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Sorry but I don't think there's much point in you doing one thing and mum doing another.

So if mum is keen to get him to sleep in a cot then she has to work with you on this - you need to have another chat with her and decide what both of you will do

Miffy xx

sarah707
15-12-2008, 09:21 PM
I agree with Miffy!

plus, surely if she is working now she wants to move on from demand feeding through teh night - poor woman must be exhausted!

I'd borrow 'Babies' by Dr Christopher green from the library lend it to mum! :D

don the duck
15-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Sorry but I don't think there's much point in you doing one thing and mum doing another.

So if mum is keen to get him to sleep in a cot then she has to work with you on this - you need to have another chat with her and decide what both of you will do

Miffy xx

i agree..... I have the same... i just use a lying down boucy chair....

acorns
15-12-2008, 09:39 PM
i agree..... I have the same... i just use a lying down boucy chair....

Well, I did try the rocking car seat but my own dd wanted to 'help' (she's feeling usurped by the newcomer) and poor babe nearly had whiplash from her eager rocking:D

I was going to lend Mum a book on sleeping but she's too tired to read!!!

a.lmb
15-12-2008, 09:41 PM
i agree mum does have to work with u instead of u doing the impossible, try putting him down in the buggy and walking with him its an idea

acorns
15-12-2008, 09:48 PM
He does sleep well in the buggy, which works well if he falls asleep on way home from school, but my own ds sleeps (in her cot) at same time as mindee so I cant go out. (There's always up and down the Kitchen to try I suppose)

a.lmb
15-12-2008, 09:53 PM
my mum bless use to put me in the back garden in the pram in the summer...lol. i know we dont like them crying but u may have to and just sit the other side of the cot so he knows ur there

Zoomie
15-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I have never put my DD down to sleep in her cot during the day.

She has always just gone to sleep on the floor where she played (up till about 8m), or in her bouncy chair or I usually just put her in the pram / buggy, cover her up with a warm blanket and park her down the passage. She might whimper for a minute, but that is it.

Lou
15-12-2008, 09:57 PM
personally, i think its bad habbit which baby (with help from mum and you) needs to break.

I think some "control crying" is what i would do, its easy to say work with mum but in my experience they say will do the same but dont always...

I have a baby aged 10 months who comes full time. He wake continuiosly in night with mum but here he knows (after A LOT of effort) that when he goes in cot it is sleep time!!

It has taken a few months, he has been coming since 4 months, and he has too be VERY tired, BUT i setttle him down and leave him now, before i would go back every 10 mins, and resettle, then every 15 mins...it took some time but it worked for me.

It isnt what mum would do, and she has said that, BUT she also said she would rather he has had a good slepp during day as it make her life easier at tea time and therefore supports me.

mandy moo
17-12-2008, 12:42 PM
a.lmb my mindees mum still puts him in the garden to sleep, even in this cold weather:) he sleeps for hours apparantly..

loocyloo
17-12-2008, 02:26 PM
hi ... i have a 2 1/2 yr minded child ... came to me at 6 mths ..apparently only sleeping for a couple of 20 minutes naps a day ... within a couple of weeks, was having and hour each morning, and 2 hours each afternoon! ... child still has 2 hrs every afternoon with me! (4 days week)

But, no daytime sleep with parents/family (3 days week)

i started off with sleeps in rocker chair, or well wrapped in pram in garden! child was in the habit of sleeping, and quickly got used to daytime sleep in the cot, but i still put child to sleep in (fully reclined ( flat ) pushchair in garden at least once a week! the other thing i do, is that every small child that starts with me, is always put down for a sleep with a muslin ... then i find they soon learn that a muslin means sleep, and generally, i can get mine to sleep anywhere, once i give them a muslin! some use them at home, some don't, but it works for me!

however ... this child is not sleeping at night .. gets up to play for an hour or so around 1/2 am!!! i have suggested to mum ( just the once or twice :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) that they do control crying etc ... they do try ... but give in after 1/2 hr, then next night it is worse of course! they always say they are waiting till a holiday/less busy time at work/no one is ill etc ... but these times never come! child is an only child, but hoping for another, and i really think this needs sorting!!
sorry acorns ... didn't mean to hi-jack your post!

xxx