PDA

View Full Version : what do you cook?

devoncm
15-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Just wondering what everyone else cooks for tea and pudding, i find im always cooking the same things and fancy a change maybe, also what do you offer for pudding? i try and offer a variety but one likes chocolate mousse or choc sponge and the other just choc sponge they never want fruity things

Pipsqueak
15-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Blimey I do anything and everything (planned in advance of course)

stews/casseroles
fajitas / enchilladas
cous cous and something......
curries
sweet and sour....
good old fashioned bangers and mash
toad in the hole
risottos
roasts
chicken/turkey somethings.... (pies, coq au vin, supreme....)
mince and dumplings
fish (variations of)
pastas (variations of)
we enjoy the odd chicken dippers/fish fingers etc

lots of fresh veg, all prepared from scratch 99% of the time with fresh ingredients

jam roly poly
cheesecakes
ice cream
pies and tarts
(this is my failing - will buy these ready done lol - thats why mums go to Iceland don't you know)

I do a mean bread and butter pudding though if I say so myself and variations of sponges....:D

I hate cooking so I have to plan in advance but whatever I serve up the kids 99% of the time will eat with no probs

Cammie Doodle
15-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Im really lucky just now, the children I care for at the moment all bring their own food from home.:)

devoncm
15-12-2008, 12:39 PM
see one mindee i have has just started eating peas and carrots but if i cook something proper, not just freezer food, she can take 2 hrs to eat it if i let her-she has each mouthful as size of pea or if curry or something like that a grain of rice at a time!

mandy moo
15-12-2008, 12:41 PM
My mindees bring their own too, I do supply crackers, fruit, cheese or yoghurt tho.
If they bring their own, I guess they cant turn round and say they dont like it:laughing:

Twinkles
15-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Posted this a while back

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20386

For puds I do Yoghurt , Fruit , Ice cream mostly. Sometimes a crumble or banana custard.

Angela234
15-12-2008, 07:28 PM
I also need more variation my children never liked pasta but my mindee's do has anyone got any pasta recipies apart from spag bol thats all i know!

Angela

loocyloo
15-12-2008, 08:58 PM
i'm lucky ...

i'm like pipsqueak, i cook everything and anything and it all gets eaten!

we do homemade yogurt with fruit/rice pud/custard and sponge/crumbles/pies etc for pudding.

we do all sorts of sauces with pasta ... tomato & veg; cook some garlic/onion and whatever veggies to hand (including lettuce!) with some chopped tomato/tomato passata and when all soft, i stick it in the blender!
... cheese sauce on its own, or with bacon, tuna, mushrooms anything!
... garlic, chicken/bacon, mushrooms quickly dry fried, and some cream stirred through ...very yummy!
... mini meatballs made from plain mince squidged together into little balls, gently fried and then put in a dish, covered in passata and baked in oven for 1/2 hr or so .. served with spaghetti or any pasta

any of the above sauces, mixed with the pasta, put in a dish, topped with cheese and then baked ... pasta bake.

have fun! xxxx

a.lmb
15-12-2008, 09:43 PM
yep pipsqueck got the right idea try iceland...lol

Angela234
15-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for those ideas i will try some

Angela

patevans
16-12-2008, 06:53 AM
I wish I could cook more, I am rubbish at it!! :panic:

chaotic_space
16-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I cook anything and everything. My mindees age from 10 weeks - 11 years with the 11yr old being a long termer (9yrs). I cook tea for everyone, my family and mindees at the same time so basically the wee ones get what my family eat and they love it because it's what I've always done. Almost always cooked from scratch.

Favorite meals where everyone clears their plate are

beany shepherds pie (potato, sweet potato, swede top)
spaghetti bolognese
chicken curry and rice
macaroni cheese (mashed cauliflower added to the sauce)

Everything is easliy converted to vegetarian by substituting chicken/beef for soya based protien and everything provides great cover for veggies :cool: