PDA

View Full Version : Being Dumb!!

samw
24-01-2008, 06:28 PM
I know this is probably a really daft question and Ive probably been told the answer before but I want to clarify something before I say yes to a parent.

I currently look after an 18 month old boy and as of monday I will be collecting a 3yr old from nursery. Ive today been asked if I can also take & collect a 5yr old and another 3yr old from the same nursery.

My ratio is 2 under the age of 5 but does a child in full time nursery get classed as an over 5, also is the 5 year old classed as an over 5 or under 5. My head is banging from thinking about it so if anyone can answer me in very simple terms (to avoid more head pain) I would be most grateful!!

Thanks

Sam x

Minnie Minx
24-01-2008, 06:29 PM
yes i'm sure they are classed as being over 5 years old

xx

manjay
24-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Is it a 3 year old you want to class as a 5 year old?

amanda xx

samw
24-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Im not sure as I dont know if a child of 5 is classed as under or over 5. If she is classed as over 5 then can I class one of the 3yr olds as an over 5 if they are in full time education.

Why,why,why does this all have to be so confusing?

Sam x

Minnie Minx
24-01-2008, 06:35 PM
cause ofsted like to make minders lives as complicated as possible :)

xxx

Raggydolls
24-01-2008, 06:38 PM
a child of 3 going to full time school???

surely they r in nursery, as in just for roughly 2.5 hours a day

if this 3 year old does go to full time school, as in 6 hours a day then i would phone ofsted and see what catagory they fall under

leanne
xx

Twinkles
24-01-2008, 06:39 PM
You can't class a three yr old as a five yr old even if they're in full time nursery.That only works if they are four and attending school for 10 sessions a week i.e. morning and afternoon.

manjay
24-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm confused now!

amanda xx

Minnie Minx
24-01-2008, 06:41 PM
a child of 3 going to full time school???

surely they r in nursery, as in just for roughly 2.5 hours a day

if this 3 year old does go to full time school, as in 6 hours a day then i would phone ofsted and see what catagory they fall under

leanne
xx

we had lots of 3 year olds in nursery school for 6 hours a day, they start too young these days imo

xx

Twinkles
24-01-2008, 06:42 PM
The five year old will come into your 5-8 yr old ratio.

Minnie Minx
24-01-2008, 06:42 PM
You can't class a three yr old as a five yr old even if they're in full time nursery.That only works if they are four and attending school for 10 sessions a week i.e. morning and afternoon.

oooo now you mention it, that actually rings a bell, sorry sam i didn't read your post correctly and i assumed the child was four :blush:

xx

Lou
24-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Yes thats right.

The 5 yr old is classed as over 5.

The 3 yr old will be in under 5s regardless of how many nursery session.

x

samw
24-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Now you have all said it, I know its a 4yr old you can class as an over 5 if they are in full time education!! Told you I was being dumb.

I feel awful I cant help this other lady out now as I was her last hope...all the other childminders in the area are full.

Another question, the boy who is supposed to start with me monday, his mum hasnt contacted me to come and sign contracts and bring him with her for me to meet. She withheld her number when she initially called and Ive only ever seen her at school to talk to since. Ive not seen her all this week though. What should I do? I cant pick him up without the paperwork being sorted and without him even knowing who I am. Should I leave a message with the school maybe for them to pass on to her?

Thanks

Sam x

Rubybubbles
24-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Now you have all said it, I know its a 4yr old you can class as an over 5 if they are in full time education!! Told you I was being dumb.

I feel awful I cant help this other lady out now as I was her last hope...all the other childminders in the area are full.

Another question, the boy who is supposed to start with me monday, his mum hasnt contacted me to come and sign contracts and bring him with her for me to meet. She withheld her number when she initially called and Ive only ever seen her at school to talk to since. Ive not seen her all this week though. What should I do? I cant pick him up without the paperwork being sorted and without him even knowing who I am. Should I leave a message with the school maybe for them to pass on to her?

Thanks

Sam x

tell her the place has gone, you tried to get hold of her ect and take on this 3 yr old:laughing:

sorry no help, first thing that came to my mind!

Agree with whoever said as 3 yr old is def under 5, its 4 yr in full time when it changes:D

nell57
24-01-2008, 07:16 PM
hi sam

not sure if this answers your question and not sure if we share the same development officer in sunny stoke, but i asked mine about one of my mindees who was only just turned 3 when they started nursery school full time, and she clarified that 3y old can not be classed as over 5year old, but 4year old can be as long as they are at school full time.

x helen x

samw
24-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I thought of the place has gone idea myself!! Bit cruel really, but I dont know what I can do.

Helen, my DO, is named Jayne, is she yours too?

Sam x

nell57
24-01-2008, 07:33 PM
mines bianca
not had jayne yet, probably will soon tho they change about every 6 months dont they

can you tell i'm really really slow at typing as well, at least 2 or 3 others have posted before i can, it takes me that long, thinks me needs more practice dont you:laughing:

samw
24-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Dont tell me they change them, Jaynes brill and Ive heard a few bad things about some others, not heard of Bianca though so she must be ok!

Sam x

nell57
24-01-2008, 07:59 PM
i like bianca she's really helpful and there when you need her, but she's my 3rd one in 3years, can say i've prob got on with all of them, not heard bout any bad things, you'll have to fill me in some time.

how long have you been minding?

samw
24-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Ive Pm'd you!!

Sam x

Banana
28-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Sam.

Just wondreed whats happened with this situation?

Did the mum get in contact?
x