PDA

View Full Version : being paid for holidays

Hebs
13-12-2008, 10:08 PM
how many of you actually charge for your holidays??

i'm thinking of 2 weeks paid 2 weeks non payment as if i was in any other job i'd be paid for holidays

patevans
13-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I get 20 days paid, this is the first year that I have taken them all!! I give the dats a year in advance if possible and parents book for the same time :D

Hebs
13-12-2008, 10:25 PM
TBH i'll probably only take 2 weeks off,

i always go on holiday for 1 week in march/april and a weekend away in caravan at end of year

i know my holiday dates for 2009 and 2010 :clapping: so parents will have AT LEAST 1 years notice of holiday closures

louised
13-12-2008, 11:05 PM
I take 4 weeks holiday and charge half fees, but this year I will have had 6 weeks as parents have taken 2 weeks at christmas. Parents are happy to pay half as they know nurseries would charge them full fee

Shirlwith3
14-12-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm the same I have 4 weeks & charge 1/2 for my & their holidays which I think is fair, when I sent my daughter to a childminder this is what we did & it worked out fair.

Shirl

balloon
14-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I don't charge anything for my holidays but do charge in full for theirs.

samgeordie
14-12-2008, 09:47 AM
i take 5 weeks and charge half fees, when i arrange the contract i get the parents to tell me how many more weeks they will be taking on top of my 5 weeks and charge them half for these weeks too, if they take anymore than this they will pay me full fee as normal. Works for all of us and no complaints

Bushpig
14-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I charge on average 2 days paid holiday annually for myself (and even got grief for this from one parent!), but no other charge. I charge fully for their holidays.

Little Antics
14-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I charge parents for 4 weeks hols per year.

Firstly because they take hols off anyway - usually 1 week at Christmas
1 week at Easter and 2 in the Summer - and most get paid for this.

Also now with addedd paperwork etc., you can guarantee that I will still be working on various things to prepare for ofsted.

Then I try to recoup for the next run!

sunflower
14-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I charge 1/2 for my holidays and 1/2 for theirs

with up to 4 wks a year

Bank holidays i charge full fee

:D

chaotic_space
14-12-2008, 02:06 PM
I have never charged parents for my holidays but charge full fees for parent/carer time off no matter what the reason.

One of my friends who is also a childminder ended up out of pocket when a couple took different weeks off because they only had to pay their minder half money. Between them they took 10 weeks! and my friend could do nothing until it was time to renew the contract and she could add a max half fees clause.

mrs lilly
14-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I have 4 weeks at full pay and all b/h are full fee too although I don't work them. I give parents 4 weeks at half rate as long as they are taken at different time to me, if they take at same time as me then full fee applies. Sounds complicated but have never had any complaints about it from my parents so must be ok.

nell57
14-12-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't charge anything for my holidays but do charge in full for theirs.

Sane here:)

Chatterbox Childcare
14-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I get two weeks in the school time and if I have term time contracts I charge them for 41 weeks as I don't take any in term time.

Chimps Childminding
16-12-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't charge for my holidays and charge half for parents upto 4 weeks per year. Any holidays over 4 weeks are charged at full (not that anyone has ever used more than 4 yet). Would like to get paid if I am off, but work on the theory that the parents have to sort out childcare elsewhere so don't really like to!

Dragonfly
16-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Same as Carolyn:)

chaotic_space
16-12-2008, 07:02 PM
It was a good idea to make 'up to 4 weeks only' half pay as part of your contract Carolyn. It's little details like that that make all the difference. We're running a business after all.

Zoomie
16-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Do you think that it is better to charge parents for your holidays (say 4 weeks per year) or to include it in your fee, so actually increase your fee by say 1/13th (which would equate to your holiday). That way parent's pay without really feeling it, but it might also put parents off as you appear 'more expensive' ???

I know this is off topic but I think that parents often comapre the inital rate, and then make decisions about cm, but the 'extra's' can actually make the cm who appeared to have the best rates, actually have the most expensive cos she adds all these extras ???

acorns
16-12-2008, 08:14 PM
I dont charge for my holidays, but charge for theirs if taken at a different time. I think it's one of the downsides of working for yourself - not many other self employed jobs around where you get paid holidays. When I used a childminder I definately was not happy about paying for her holidays, but it's a matter of opinion & my fees do reflect the fact I dont charge for holidays, so in a roundabout way, they do pay but don't realise it:D

Hebs
12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
well i have decided to take 4 weeks holidays paid a year after talking to my son's new childminder who said she has added 4 weeks paid holidays as the other local minders do

was like "thanks for that info" :thumbsup: :laughing:

rickysmiths
12-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Over the years I have found that my parents tend to Take the same hol as me , spose it saves on having to sort out other care. I tend to tell them my intended hols by the end of Jan begin of Feb so we can coordinate.

I take 25 days full pay, if the parents take more then they pay full. All of my current ones do.(1 parent has 36 days incl Bank hols!)

I charge full for all Bank hols that fall on a contracted day and if I work it is double fee.(I cant remember when I ever did work on one though)

I reserve 4 paid training days (as recommended by NCMA a few years ago.)per year.
Some years I use them all others I dont depends what training I want to do.

Those only with me in term time pay my 25days hol and the training days and Bank hols that fall on contracted days which means they get 8 weeks at half fee every year.

All is noted in the contracts and fully discussed at the interview stage. I have been having paid hols for 9yrs now and I have 3 full timers and 4 part timers on my books with 2 waiting. I rarely have vacancies for long. The longest gap was when I moved house 4.5yrs ago and it took me 18mth to build up in the new area.

ncma RECOMMEND years ago that we should all have at least 4 weeks hol a year its on the contracts. Even if its not paid you need a break. I really can't understand those of you that take less I'd be frazzeled without mine.