PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

louised
11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
One of my mindees who I have minded since he was 18 months and is now 3 years 2 months has a habit of biting himself. He has always done it but over the last few months it has become much more serious. He has callouses on his fingers as he always bites them in the same place. He bites out of frustration if he can't get his own way or another child takes something from him.HE bites his fingers between 20 and 30 times a day. This particular child is bright and articulate but seems emotionally immature, he also makes a humming noise a lot of the time. There's just something about him that doesn't seem quite right, he is an only child with more mature parents who aren't concerned with the biting, but it seems quite unusual to me as I have never known a child who bit themselves or made a strange noise. Anyone got any experience of this?

Pipsqueak
11-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I would suggest to mum that she sees her GP or HV asap I could take a guess at what I think it could be but I won't.

Make your notes, give copy to mum and dad to take to GP.

childmind04
11-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Would definitly get parents to seek some advice from gp :idea:

susan

LOOPYLISA
11-12-2008, 02:01 PM
I would certanly mention it to the parents, it doesnt seem right, lots of luck x:thumbsup:

balloon
11-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Yes I have heard of this kind of thing before.

I think pipsqueak is spot on by suggesting the LO is taken for a check up at the docs mentioning the things you have just said and anything else unusual you have noticed too.

louised
12-12-2008, 07:57 AM
I know I should broach this with the parents just not sure how to do it. The parents are aware of his behaviour but are unconcerned by it. Mindee has 2 weeks off over christmas so I'll ask his parents to monitor his biting over the holidays. If it is still as frequent after the hols I will need to consider having a chat with them.

miffy
12-12-2008, 08:05 AM
I'd suggest you monitor his behaviour from now until he finishes for Christmas and make a written record of when he bites, any triggers you notice etc (apologies if you're already doing this) then give a copy of it to mum/dad on his last day and ask them to carry it on over the holidays.

Then you can all discuss it in the New Year. You might find it easier to talk about if you have something written down.

Good luck

Miffy xx

sarah707
12-12-2008, 08:06 AM
I have just put 'child biting self' into google and come up with these links that might help -

http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/404_my-child-hits-and-bites-himself-what-should-i-do_69193.pc

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oFzIbLgZ48cC&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=child+biting+self&source=web&ots=pg8GMirKbg&sig=KybX_Kyaaav-jylQu-Gnjk4hKVw&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oFzIbLgZ48cC&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=child+self+biting&source=web&ots=pg8GMisC8g&sig=8iXA2YrUwrhwMOuV4aurLWNXFJI&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result

a.lmb
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Firstly do some observations so you have evidence to back yourself up then request meeting with parents to discuss your findings and suggest GP/HV but u must do obs for evidence