PDA

View Full Version : So tired - how many do you have?

mum2two
24-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm thinking I'm going to have to give notice to one of my mindees, (The one I posted about a few days ago...)

When I started, ideally I wanted a full timer, and maybe one after school. Why don't things go the way you want them to?

I have 1 part timer, 4 after schoolers, (C & D = 1 & half days during hols), and one part timer during the hols. Starting in a few weeks, (A) 4 days a week, and brother, (B) after school (Both 4 days a week during hols). But the full timer starts school in Sept. One of the parents I used to mind for about 6 mths ago has now asked me if I'll do her 2 (G & H)after school 1 day a week. (My current quiet day)

I'll have, in addition to my 2... (after school) (some are over 8 hence why it's more the the reg numbers)
Mon - 2 (A & B)
Tues - 5 (A, B, C, D, E)
Weds - 6 (A, B, C, D, E, F)
Thurs - 1 (maybe 3 if I agree to these other 2) (F) (maybe G & H...)
Fri - 3 (A, B & F)

Last night Including my 2 there were 6 more I had to cook tea for. I was so tired by 6pm. I can't go on like that & have it as a reg thing.

I think I'm going to tell the mum who's asked me to do Thurs nights (G&H) I can't do it. Thing is, I've already said I would, but I'm going to say it's affecting my home life so much, that I just can't take on any more after schoolers as a reg thing. If she needs occasional cover I'm happy to help if I can, but have decided i can't commit reg.

Say the same thing to the other kid Tues & Weds (E) I want to lose.

I really am starting to find it too much. I was so depressed & tired last night, and today have a headache I can't get rid of.

Becasuse they are all so 'bitty', it's hard to say who to lose as well.

I'm trying to save for Florida in Dec, & get a conservatory as a playroom this year, so need the money at the mo.

I think if I get a full timer for Sept/Oct time, I might lose another 2, as I'll earn more money with a full timer, and not have the stress of who I'm collecting that day from school, loads of kids in my not very big house, and less stress in general for me!

Sorry this has been a bit of a rant, but needed to get it in writing so i could see where I was at myself, as I just can't think straight any more...

Roll on summer when the garden can be used!! It's just too boggy in the winter!

Kelly x

Banana
24-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Im tired just reading that!!

I dont have any after schol kids (and after the meeting I had the other day I dont want any lol). I only ever have my daughter (3) with 2 mindees which vary between 8 months and 2 years. I work full days everyday and im always exhausted - cant imagine having 6 to look after and cook for, 3 is enough - 4 if you inlclude Richard lol.

If you feel it is too much then do not strain yourself! It will only lead you to feel exhausted and thats no good when you have no option but to look after children all day.

xx

sarah707
24-01-2008, 11:10 AM
I have 7 on the books at the moment and they are all part-timers... I think I only manage as I have help for doing the tea at night... otherwise I would have sunk long ago...

I know you need the money, but put yourself first as well :D

LittleMissSparkles
24-01-2008, 11:14 AM
I have 7 on my books at present :

C 4 full days a week

B 2 full days at week

A mon to fri before and after school

L & A tue and thur after school

K flexi 3 before and after schools

P monday after school till 7

Mondays are my busiest and longest day of the week !

Very tiring !!!

Rasharoon
24-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi
I have 7 children after school and that includes my two. I can't cater for every child that I only have room to provide tea for two of the children so then including me and my partner, my two boys and then the two girls - that is 6 people I cook for (I simply don't have the room for anymore kids round the table that I insist on sitting down with my children).
By time I get home from school, then 7 children either play some games, watch a bit of TV or literally run around making noise. One of my mindees goes home at about 4.45pm and the other two at 5.30pm (I don't cook for them) with the two I cook for leaving at 6.00pm.
As I dish up tea at 5.00pm, the children I don't cook for sit in the toy room doing homework or just playing with the toys - their Mum provides them with a snack. I can't have them in the same room in which we eat as they would disrupt the other children.
I don't have children during the day - it's just the way it has worked out for me yet I've an enquiry for another after schooler that if all goes through totals 8.
Yes, I think I'm mad and half the time, I can't hear myself think and yes, I'm constantly knackered by time they all go but I'm training(!!) them all to tidy up after themselves that I'm not then spending the time when they go home clearing everything up (have a tidy up song).
In a strange sort of way, I find it easier than having the young ones as I'm in the kitchen from when I get home and they all seem to amuse themselves.
(ages are from 4 to 9 years).
I know how you feel as come a Friday, I don't have to cook any dinners (take-out night for me), I'm watching the clock for 5.30pm (when they all go home), and my body and mind has physically given up.
Good luck with it all.

ruby
24-01-2008, 11:33 AM
i dread to put how many we look after but have to say there are two of us

we have 8 under 5 3 are full time rest are part time but only have 5 every day except today when we only have 4

have to say 1 goes to nursery in the mornings the two days he is here 3 of the full times go to nursery in the afternoon but only pick two up from school

we have 2 5-8 who we pick up every day

but we have at least 8 who are back and forth school but are between 9-11yrs have had most of these for over 4 yrs but all are part time.

i have to admit it can get tiring some days luckly only 4 actually have tea
all the rest are gone by 5 o'clock

cathy and rachel

berkschick
24-01-2008, 11:54 AM
I only have 2 at the mo but am waiting for 2 answers and also have another Mum coming tomorrow. J is only 1 day a week and it is such hard work just having him 6 hours. M is here 19 hours over 2 full days and is a dream! If all three Mums want me then I will have

M = Tues & Thurs all day

G = Tues, Weds & Thurs all day

T = Mon, Tues ( from July when M leaves), Weds and Fri all day

C = Mon & Thurs (from July when M leaves) all day

I dont have any before/ after school at the mo and to be honest I dont think I will try and fill those places if I get all the above as they are all aged 6 months to 16 months so I think my hands will be full enough! Lol

At the mo I have

M = Tues and Thurs all day

J = 6 hours Thurs only

I am really hoping the Mums get back to me as I like the hours!

custardcream
24-01-2008, 12:17 PM
I have 11 on my books, all part time

1 x 9 month old
1 x 1 yr old
3 x 2 yr old
2 x 3 yr old

1 x 8 yr old before school & school hols
3 x 6-9 yr olds school hols

plus my own 2, who are 13, & 15

which is why i never seem to have enough time to get on here. lol

nell57
24-01-2008, 01:09 PM
hi, i have 6 on my books at the mo, 2 full & 4 part time.

1 9month & 1 nearly 3y full time
1 2&half (should be part time)
1 age 4 before & after school Mon, Tues & wed
a 10y & 13y

the problem I'm having is the part time 2 year old who's originally contract was for 1 full day a week, 2 days if they needed it now and again, but recently mum has been shoving a note in my hand saying here my shifts for next few weeks, with most weeks having at least 3 full days on. I know I'm still in my ratio limits, but feel its stretching my personal limits. had to have a word with her yesterday to remind her what is in contract she didn't seem to happy when she went away, obviously only seeing things from her point of view.

know how you feeling bout weather which is so depressing, just keep thinking about florida, you will love it there, and touch wood for a good summer here.

x helen x

emler
24-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I have 6 part timers on my books at the moment plus my own daughter and that is enough for me right now. I have had calls recently for after school care but I have said no as I feel comfortable with the way things are going at the moment and I also have 2 afternoons each week where its just my daughter & I and I don't want to give those up.
If you are finding it too much then definately try to cut back - you must be so tired! Take care

Emler x

Twinkles
24-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I also have 11 part-timers on my books I cook for 12 every day ( six of us in my family ) apart from Friday, thats my take-away day too ! It can be absolutely exhausting at times. But remember it's January ...things always seem worse this month for some reason.
I have to add to this that I didn't have so many mindees when my own children were young ( my youngest is now 13 ) if you feel that your quality of life and time spent with your own children is being affected then maybe you should consider cutting back.

squiggle
24-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I have three children on my books.

D - 17 months old full time

E - 7 months - tues and weds full day

G - 10 months - Thurs and fri full day

and my own daughter who is 2

I don't have any before or after school as i gave it a go but found it too hard.

Like lana i stick with the little ones

Jen x

sarah32
24-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I feel a bit left out. Still feel tired by end of week. Bet your all thinking yeah right, shes got it easy:)

I have 1 x 10month full time and thats it.

Both my children are at school.

charleyfarley
24-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I have 5 on my books at the mo

mon O all day , T after school
tues O all day
wed O all day , B 12 - 3.15
thurs O all day
fri O all day . T after school

J is shifts so he varys
M is only occassionaly

I also have my own 2 children

I vowed I would NEVER have 8 on my books again as in the past.

Before and after school I can cope with

It's having them all during the holidays that was the trouble, when they all want to do something different, when they all want something at the same time, including the toilet.

I'll stick to my few now

Carol xx

manjay
24-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I just have 2 after schoolers at the mo along with my own 3. I have 4 part timers in the pipe line but this would still give me three days off in the week (during school time) . I find this suits me fine as it means I have time to spend with my son and to do all the other things I want to do.

Have to admit it is a very intense couple of hours after school but that is all it is - a couple of hours, then they go home!

amanda xx

allinatiz
24-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Wow, no wonder you're tired!

I have 1 full time and 3 that come after school depending on their parents shifts plus 4 of my own (the eldest 3 at school) and I'm tired enough with just them!