PDA

View Full Version : Latest from Ofsted re sole care

Shivvie
08-12-2008, 05:56 PM
I emailed Ofsted for my own written clarification and this is the email they replied with today (8.12.08):

"CR1.6 Childminders and home child carers must ensure that they are present on the premises at all times when childcare is being provided."

This was stated in the original statutory instrument as:

"A registered person who is registered as a childminder is present at all times on the relevant premises while the childcare is being provided."

Therefore:

when a childminder/home child carer is registered on the compulsory Childcare Register and providing care for children from the end of the early years age group to age 8 and/or
When a childminder/home child carer is registered on the voluntary Childcare Register and providing care for children aged 8-17 and/or
when a childminder/home child carer who is exempt from compulsory registration is registered on the voluntary Childcare Register cares for any children aged under 17
they will be unable to leave assistants in sole charge of children, even with written permission from parents even if a current condition of registration seems to allow this on their certificate.

However please be aware that our position on childminders querying if assistants can be left in sole charge is under review by our policy department (CDHQ). They will issue guidance when they have clarified all outstanding issues and you will be informed.

Until this has been decided we can advise providers to continue operating as they where before September 2008. It is important you are aware that this position is under review and may change in the near future.

As I read it, we can carry on as we did until we hear differently.

Pauline
10-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Until this has been decided we can advise providers to continue operating as they where before September 2008. It is important you are aware that this position is under review and may change in the near future.

As I read it, we can carry on as we did until we hear differently.

Yes I've been told exactly the same and NCMA staff have it in writing too.

Good news! :thumbsup: