PDA

View Full Version : How much hols do you have a year?

Gherkin
08-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Ok this year I had 20 days but this includes the Christmas period and bank holidays.

In 2009 I am thinking of having 20 days plus closing the business over christmas, + bank hols. It would be approx 25 days hol plus Bank hols. Is it too much?

What do you all do?

Can't you just tell I am planning next years holidays.

fionamal
08-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I have all the bank holidays and 4 weeks holidays per year running from January to December

angeldelight
08-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I dont have enough holidays and always seem to be available when parents need me

I must be stronger because I have worn myself out this year

Angel xx

christine e
08-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I dont have enough holidays and always seem to be available when parents need me

Angel xx

Me too!!!!!!

I am going to make a very big effort to make sure I have at least 4 weeks holiday this coming year

Cx

manjay
08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Me too!!!!!!

I am going to make a very big effort to make sure I have at least 4 weeks holiday this coming year

Cx

Me too!!! All I have had this year is 3 weeks after being in hospital. Felt so guilty about that I haven't taken any more.

madasahatter
08-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I've got 27 days plus bank holidays booked for next year. I give my parents my holiday list in October for the following year. All my hols except 1 week in march when we go skiing are in the school hols. I think that as the parents get so much notice they don't think to complain. Any new starters get my holiday list so there's no surprises for them either.

Pipsqueak
08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Our holiday periods are quite erratic but I always try to give parents at least 6 weeks min notice.

Generally I would say I have 20 days total in the year plus bank hols. Normally I work the inbetween bit of xmas but this year I am not.

Gherkin
08-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Angel xx

See that is what I did this year and only really had 16 days and am now exhausted. Hence my thinking about 2009 hols.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I have all my bank holidays plus 2 weeks in the summer, 7 days in February and then if I am not needed (only 1 did this year so am taking holidays) over Xmas. Total 22 days.

I think the secret is to let parents know early enough and offer cover if you can.

Mollymop
08-12-2008, 06:12 PM
I feel guilty for shutting down from the 19th Dec to the 5th of Jan (over xmas), but I have been working almost everyday since I started minding in April - that is 8 months without a holiday!
So why should I feel guilty?
I think you should take off what you want. 4 weeks plus bank hols and xmas doesn't seem too much too me.

Angela234
08-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I had 1 week Easter, 1summer, 1 Oct half term week now i have Chrismas- new year week as i have no mindees i will be looking after my 3 grandsons 2 days as mum and dad have to work. So for the first time that will be 4 WEEKS.

Angela

Hebs
08-12-2008, 07:36 PM
I've also been thinking of when to take our hols

i know when i'm on holiday next year

march for 1 week and june just a long weekend

but i know i need more than just 1 week off

:idea: might have october week off

angeldelight
08-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I feel guilty for shutting down from the 19th Dec to the 5th of Jan (over xmas), but I have been working almost everyday since I started minding in April - that is 8 months without a holiday!
So why should I feel guilty?
I think you should take off what you want. 4 weeks plus bank hols and xmas doesn't seem too much too me.

I am doing the same the 19th to the 5th and for once I do not feel guilty

You deserve your holiday so enjoy it

Angel xx

carolinel
08-12-2008, 08:44 PM
I take 4 weeks a year plus close over christmas which works out at 2 weeks this year. so 6 weeks in total.

Pudding Girl
08-12-2008, 09:19 PM
I allow upto 4 weeks off but in this first year since starting physically minding since March, had 5 days off and 2 sick days.

I don't earn when I don't work, and unless I am going away, I'm not going to take time off to just sit in the house on the net all day :laughing:

Tily Bud
08-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I take 20days, plus bank holidays, plus I close over the xmas period in line with local schools :D 6 weeks plus bank hols in total x

I give parents list of my years hols in Jan and have never had a complaint yet, suppose its because i give such a lot of notice x

charleyfarley
08-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't tend to book time off unless I'm going on holiday as I don't get paid for it. So I just fit in with parents holidays, that way I still get paid.

Carol xx

LisaH
08-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I always take 2 weeks in the summer and a week at xmas. Occasional days off for long weekends away. I always try to give parents plenty of notice tho and that way they don't complain.:)

mrs lilly
08-12-2008, 10:25 PM
4 weeks hols and all my bank holiday all of which I charge at full rate. I close at Xmas from 24th till 2nd of Jan but don't charge for these days.

Carol
08-12-2008, 10:57 PM
I give my parents my holiday list then end of the year so they get plenty of time to sort it out I have whitsun week, 2 weeks summer, october half term week, bank holidays and xmas hol. Lucky really as most of my moms work in schools so this suits them. Feel I could do with childminding training days like schools have teacher training days :blush:

Looking forward to my holiday 14 days to go :clapping: :clapping:

Carol

marion123
09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I always take 2 weeks in the summer and a week at christmas if i need any other time off i make sure i give the parents lots of notice :)

wendywu
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
I take 4 weeks as holidays. Then another week which i split and add onto Bank holiday weekends for weekends away. But with my main holidays parents always get loads of notice.:)

mandy moo
09-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Me too MollyMop, although I did take august bank holiday week off off so 4 days plus the bank holiday,
I finish work 6pm xmas eve and go back on the 5th.
And Im thinking that easter will be the next holiday I get.
MY own boys being only 10 & 7, I want to spend quality time with them too,without the minded kids.

Chimps Childminding
10-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I usually have 1 week at easter, 1 or 2 weeks in the summer and 1 week at October half term, plus bank holidays, and I close for 2 weeks at Christmas (coinciding with school hols). I do find it difficult as I also don't get paid when I am on holiday, but sometimes I just need to re-charge my batteries!!:doh:

I always let parents have a list at the beginning of the year and several reminders throughout the year in my newsletters, although one parent always leaves it till the last minute to sort something else out :panic: I said to her at the beginning of Oct, "you haven't forgotten I am off October half term week have you?" her reply was "no I haven't forgotten ...................... I just haven't sorted anything else out!!!!!! :panic: :panic:

merry
11-12-2008, 01:12 PM
I usually have 6 weeks, 2 at Easter, 2 in August and 2 at Christmas, plus any bank holidays that don't fall in those dates. I don't feel guilty in the slightest :laughing:

:)

a.lmb
12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
well i havnt had a hol since starting to mind so i booked one inbetween xmas and new year, i think we all deserve our hols as parents dont realise how much we work and plus our hols we probably spend most of it catching up on paperwork and planning

Rubybubbles
12-12-2008, 10:22 AM
I take 30 days:D

not that I ever use them all! and only term time only ATM

I allow 4 weeks hols, then 10 days for bank hols and training days (but to them it's 30 days! IYSWIM)

xmas is unwritten hols on both sides, as hubby RAF everyone breaks up on 19th Dec back on 5th so I have always taken the same, but if I was needed (if anyone on shift patterns I think I would do a few days as I 'can' be nice sometimes lol)

RedDragon
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I have only had 1 week holiday in the Summer and am taking Christmas Eve and NYE off (all unpaid).

Next year (from April) am going to work out holidays and take at least 2 weeks off in the Summer and 2 weeks off at Christmas - going to budget so that I don't worry about taking the time off.

mum26
13-12-2008, 10:03 PM
I give parents my holiday list at the beginning of the year. I normally take 1 week at Whitsun, 2 weeks in August and 2 weeks at Christmas (although have only started having the 2 weeks at Christmas this year as I feel I need some time with my own children without mindees). I also have Bank Holidays off too.

lindylou
13-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi i have been a childminder for 17 years and never charged till april of this year i know charge for 4 weeks per year and any extra i take i do not charge for
Linxx

Cammie Doodle
15-12-2008, 12:28 PM
I take 4 weeks a year plus close over christmas which works out at 2 weeks this year. so 6 weeks in total.

That is exactly the same for me Caroline 4wks through out the year and closed over Christmas/ New Year as Ive never been required, but it has taken all these years not to feel guilty about it :rolleyes: