PDA

View Full Version : staff puppies

marion123
07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
my son wants a staff pup for christmas he is 14, we did have a dog but she died last yr old age bless her (she was lovely) would i be able to get a staff with being a childminder and what would ofsted say please help as he really wants one he even said he would pay half (it was his birthday yesterday got lots of birthday money) thanks

Annie_T
07-12-2008, 05:43 PM
i dont think ofsted will mind, as long as you do a policy and he/she kept out way/off the mindee's.
garden was kept foul free.

kept up todate with injections etc (as you would anyway)

you will have to inform ofsted -which you know already i guess.

bless your ds x

chantelbutterwo
07-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Well I have a german sherherd and whilst the inspectors I have had are not dog lovers I have had no problems.
I am not registered to use the garden as the dog has sole use during minded hours and he goes outside if we eat etc.
I dont think being a childminder should stop you getting a staff!!! Yes it's a job but it's your home and you can't let it dictate everything!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
07-12-2008, 05:56 PM
It isn't a problem and Ofsted welcome pets as long as you innoculate them and clear the garden before you go out. Write a polcy and risk assess before they come out

Go on - get one

marion123
07-12-2008, 06:03 PM
thanks for that oh great another policy and risk assessment :laughing: :laughing:

gemhei
07-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Ofsted are find with pets as i have two cats and as long as they are fleaed wormed etc and you keep a record its fine. However i dont know about the breed of dog, Staffs have a reputation of being dangerous so i dunno what ofsted would say, but if you say children are always supervised with the dog and never left alone i dont see why theyd have a problem.

littlesprogs
07-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Ofsted are find with pets as i have two cats and as long as they are fleaed wormed etc and you keep a record its fine. However i dont know about the breed of dog, Staffs have a reputation of being dangerous so i dunno what ofsted would say, but if you say children are always supervised with the dog and never left alone i dont see why theyd have a problem.

all dogs are dangerous if provoked!

Ebs71
07-12-2008, 10:17 PM

As With all dogs its how they are trained or treated etc. We have a mongrel aged 3 and a staffi aged 2 and when i had pre-reg inspector out to visit me she was all over them, playing with them and kissing them!!! she commented on how well behaved they are and how her dog (dalmation) jumps on the dinner table when her and her family are eating and pinches their food!!!
I also have had a utility area built at the side of my house as unfortunatly im allergic to them so they are out of the way when i have mindees, they also have the side of the house as a run to play in which i obviously means they wont be going on the garden.

Please dont worry about what Ofsted will say as if they see you are sensible they wont have a problem. As mentioned before by pp be sure to have a pet policy in place. They make exellent pets, very loving, and adore children, mine sits on the mat with my 22 month old and she reads him a story and he sits looking at her taking it all in :-)

Hayley xx

Hebs
08-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Staffs are actually one of the best family dogs!

Not my cup of tea but they are far from the dangerous animal we hear about
That has to do with the nutters who own them and train them to be vicious but that can happen with any dog

Ofsted had no issue with my dog

X

LOOPYLISA
08-12-2008, 01:02 PM
My brother has a staffie cross, he is lovely, my neice can do anything with him although they are very careful, although if you saw him out in the street you would prob cross the road!, it all depends how you bring the dog up and remember the smallest of dogs can give a good bite, i say go for it x

Just to add my mum has a jack russell and ive been nipped by him, never though by my brothers dog x

gemhei
08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
all dogs are dangerous if provoked!

Oh i agree thats why i said i dont see them having a problem if you show that the children are always supervised with the dog. Saying that i think children need to be supervised at all times with any animal. My oldest cat is soft as a brush and the children would probs hurt her more than she would them, but id never leave her alone with them. Ofsted like you to have pets as it gives children that experience i just wasnt sure on their policy with different breads of dog thats all.

Ebs71
11-12-2008, 10:38 PM
My brother has a staffie cross, he is lovely, my neice can do anything with him although they are very careful, although if you saw him out in the street you would prob cross the road!, it all depends how you bring the dog up and remember the smallest of dogs can give a good bite, i say go for it x

Just to add my mum has a jack russell and ive been nipped by him, never though by my brothers dog x

LOL at what you said about jack russell, we had one attack our Staffie few weeks ago, jack russell was off lead (ours was) and this dog came from nowhere and knocked our staff over on his back and really went for him.... our staffie just lay there crying, my partner ha dto pull the JR off and he went for my DP.... he's a big black softie (looks like a sealion lol) but cant believe he's such a ponce lol!!!! :)

marion123
12-12-2008, 08:44 AM
hi Ebs71 i was wondering if i could as you a few questions on staff puppies, how old is yours did you take them to puppy school etc and what type have you got i have been reading up on them as my son wants one for xmas have you got any pointers you could give me eg the short legged ones etc i would really appreicate it thanks :)

a.lmb
12-12-2008, 09:30 AM
i got the same problem in a way mine want a puppy and ive said no cos im minding.