View Full Version : I'm finally giving notice - advice please

07-12-2008, 01:45 PM
After two sleepless nights, i've decided to give notice on my 16month old screamer. I havent put a reason in the letter but when they ask i was going to say that despite everything I do he is not happy either at home or at groups and that i dont feel I am the right setting for him. We have tried two different chilminder drop in sessions and he is the same at both, when I told dad a while back his answer was 'do you have to take him' as if I shouldn't be. Final straw was last week with parents being off all over xmas and wanting me to continue minding so they didn't want him themselves and also dad's disapproval of me refusing to do mindee a sandwich when he refuses to eat a dinner I know he had eaten before. I'm just so fed up with it, my chidlren & husband are fed up with his screaming. I have said in notice I am willing to be flexible and finish before xmas or if they want 4 full weeks I will work to this. (I have 4 weeks notice in contract) do you think I am correct??

07-12-2008, 01:49 PM
from what you have said I think you have made the right decision.

Good luck with everything xx

07-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I agree with Sarah, it sounds as if you've made the right decision.

07-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I agree too.

Its got to suit you and your family xxxx


07-12-2008, 04:31 PM
To right you have done the correct thing. I have kept putting things like this off before and it has sometimes been horrible doing a job that I really love, but there are times when you just have to bite the bullet and do it.
Good luck to you and your family in the future, you will not believe the difference it will make to all of your lives.

07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for you messages of support, I must admit to be scared of the reaction i'll get from them tomorrow. Probably feel better once i've done it.

07-12-2008, 08:08 PM
You have done the right thing - we need to put our family first... and you HAVE tried :)

I know it isn't easy telling someone something they won't want to hear. I had to be quite firm with a (dramatic) parent last week, who was sending highly emotional emails and being unfair and silly (and not abiding to her contract!)... she has apologised and agrees with what I had to say, and says she was in a tizz... but it still made those few days unpleasant and unnecessary.

Good luck for tomorrow, stay firm! :thumbsup:

07-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Good luck for tomorrow!
Marian x

07-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Personally if asked i would say personal reasons...it's not unheard of for parent's to complain under failing to manage behaviour.:rolleyes:
Good Luck tomorrow!:)

don the duck
07-12-2008, 09:16 PM
good luck for:thumbsup: tomorrow -

08-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Personally if asked i would say personal reasons...it's not unheard of for parent's to complain under failing to manage behaviour.:rolleyes:
Good Luck tomorrow!:)

Agreed! Good luck.

Mrs M
08-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Good luck with this. I look after a 10 month old little girl who has been a screamer and I thought I would have to give notice as it was really affecting my son. He hated her screaming and would shout at her to stop. My hubby would come home from work and go upstairs cos he couldn't stand the racket! Luckily she's calmed down. It's a very difficult decision as we sometimes become very friendly with the parents (these parents are hoping to move two doors down from me!) but we have to remain professional when it comes to issues like this.
I really didn't agree with the dad saying do you have to take him to the drop ins. We go to three drop ins per week and they're great for the children and for us. Children benefit from being out and about and socialising.
I really hope all goes well and that you have a lovely Christmas.

08-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Hope everything has gone ok and it hasn't been too stressful for you

08-12-2008, 03:49 PM
after all that, the mindee was off sick today. I was all ready for it & then got a phone call & then felt really guilty as he's not well at all by the sound of it. Now I have to re do the letter & work out the dates so he has a temporary reprieve!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope I don't lose my nerve.

08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Good luck x :thumbsup:

08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Don't lose your nerve hun, I would be giving notice too if I was in your situation. Good luck for when the time comes. xx

08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Stick with it, you know you're doing whats best for you and your family