PDA

View Full Version : List of toys for Mrs OFSTED

venus89
07-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I am doing a list of the toys I have available for Mrs OFSTED as loads in storage/ elsewhere....

The categories I have so far are -

Small world

Construction

Garden

Role Play

Art and Craft

What else do I need?

Where would you put finger puppets? Would Brio come under small world or construction

christine e
07-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I would inlcude finger puppets in role play and brio in construction but it doesn't really matter. What about including books (include books on loan from library) Jigsaws, Games, DVD's

Cx

sarah707
07-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I've done this and find it very useful to put things under the 6 areas of learning and development headings.

it proves I have activities which meet each one. :D

venus89
07-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Thank you Christine - books is a good idea, I'd forgoten them.

That's a good idea Sarah, I think I#'ll do it that way. Would you still put everything under the main categopry it falls under? I'll be there forever if I put them under everything!

sarah707
07-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Oh yes, I only list them once :D

venus89
07-12-2008, 10:18 AM
How's this looking so far?

Personal Social and Emotional Development
Board games etc.
Toy houses and accessories
Playmobil
Knights and Castle
Barbies, my little ponies, action men, littlest pet shop etc.
Dressing up clothes
Toy cooker/food
Playhouse (or clubhouse, secret spy house, bug house, den......)
Toy babies, clothes, bottles etc.
Toy cars, garage
Toy trains

Creative Development
Paper, pens, crayons, paint, stencils, stampers, stickers, glue, glitter..... etc
Christmas Doodle cards
Messy play in and out doors.

Physical Development
Slides, trampoline, access to ride-ons at childrens centre, park
Playdough
Sand/water play

Problem Solving Reasoning and Numeracy
Jigsaws and wooden lift out puzzles
Dot to dot, mazes etc
Shape sorters
Wooden train track

Communication Language and Literacy
Books – as a selection of books here we make regular visits to the library for children to choose their own books to borrow
Puppet theatre for acting out stories with finger puppets

Knowledge and Understanding of the World
Plenty of educational books
Bob the builder playmat and toys
Toy tools/workbench
Toy till/food for shop for role play
Plant pots, seed tools etc for growing plants

Where would you put lego and duplo (CD?), magnetix (KW?), sticklebricks (PD?)

hello kitty
07-12-2008, 10:45 AM
I would put them under PSRN, myself. :)

christine e
07-12-2008, 11:25 AM
How's this looking so far?

Personal Social and Emotional Development
Board games etc.
Toy houses and accessories
Playmobil
Knights and Castle
Barbies, my little ponies, action men, littlest pet shop etc.
Dressing up clothes
Toy cooker/food
Playhouse (or clubhouse, secret spy house, bug house, den......)
Toy babies, clothes, bottles etc.
Toy cars, garage
Toy trains

Creative Development
Paper, pens, crayons, paint, stencils, stampers, stickers, glue, glitter..... etc
Christmas Doodle cards
Messy play in and out doors.

Physical Development
Slides, trampoline, access to ride-ons at childrens centre, park
Playdough
Sand/water play

Problem Solving Reasoning and Numeracy
Jigsaws and wooden lift out puzzles
Dot to dot, mazes etc
Shape sorters
Wooden train track

Communication Language and Literacy
Books – as a selection of books here we make regular visits to the library for children to choose their own books to borrow
Puppet theatre for acting out stories with finger puppets

Knowledge and Understanding of the World
Plenty of educational books
Bob the builder playmat and toys
Toy tools/workbench
Toy till/food for shop for role play
Plant pots, seed tools etc for growing plants

Where would you put lego and duplo (CD?), magnetix (KW?), sticklebricks (PD?)

Have you got any musical instruments that you could include in creative developement?

Cx

Minnie mouse
07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks sarah i have photographed all my toys and made it into a toy catalogue with a few sentances under each one saying what areas of d&l they meet but didnt think about putting them under the 6 headings. :thumbsup:

Annie_T
07-12-2008, 05:41 PM
LIKE THAT IDEA, I HAVE COPIED IT and put my toy list in it ...hope thats ok

thank you hun x

Chatterbox Childcare
07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=venus89;285741]I am doing a list of the toys I have available for Mrs OFSTED as loads in storage/ elsewhere....

The categories I have so far are -

Small world

Construction

Garden

Role Play

Art and Craft

What else do I need?

I would put things in double places if required

Puppets would be great in role play

gegele
07-12-2008, 06:01 PM
thank you :clapping: , i'm in the process of registering and i was worried as i thought i didn't have enough toys but i'm covering all the areas!!

but where do you put the farm and the animals PSED or KUW??

venus89
07-12-2008, 06:48 PM
That's the trouble I have - so many things are more than one thing,,,,,

sarah707
07-12-2008, 06:50 PM
thank you :clapping: , i'm in the process of registering and i was worried as i thought i didn't have enough toys but i'm covering all the areas!!

but where do you put the farm and the animals PSED or KUW??

Farm and animals would probably go under Kuw... :D

patevans
21-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Using the six areas what would these cover?

Stickle Bricks
Lacing Cards
Dominoes
Snap Cards
Flash cards
Ball Pool
Sports Equipment - PD?
Etch a Sketch - CD?
Activity Centre
Rattles
Tent
Toy phones
Toy laptops
Wind up tv thingy
Cuddly Toys
Skittles
Tape players
Computer Game
Activity Tables
Wooden bead thingy - not sure what they are called!!

sarah707
21-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Using the six areas what would these cover?

Lots of toys cover lots of areas of learning and development... these are what I would say are the main ones

Stickle Bricks Pd - fine motor skills
Lacing Cards Pd - fine motor skills
Dominoes Psr&n - counting
Snap Cards not sure, possibly Psed - sharing
Flash cards what are they about? If they are emotions flash cards it's Psed, if they are about saying words or describing things you can see it's Cll
Ball Pool Pd - gross motor skills
Sports Equipment - PD? Yes, gross motor skills again
Etch a Sketch - CD? Probably, but you could also observe a child's Pd, hand eye coordination
Activity Centre Pd gross motor skills
Rattles Cd - making music
Tent Depends what they are doing with it... they might be discovering light and dark which would cover Kuw or maybe using it as a communication friendly space which is Cll or maybe playing dens with imagination which would come under Cd
Toy phones Kuw - pressing buttons & learning about cause & effect
Toy laptops Kuw - computers
Wind up tv thingy Kuw - Ict
Cuddly Toys Psed - caring for things
Skittles Either Psed - counting or Pd - gross motor skills
Tape players Kuw - Ict
Computer Game Kuw - Ict
Activity Tables Depends on what they are doing or learning but probably Pd - gross motor control
Wooden bead thingy - not sure what they are called!! Do you mean an abacus? That would either be Psr&n - counting or Pd - hand eye coordination

Was it a test? Do I get a prize? :jump for joy:

ajs
21-12-2008, 07:39 PM
you get a big thank you from me sarah
you make it seem so easy

patevans
21-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Was it a test? Do I get a prize? :jump for joy:

Wasn't a test but if it was you have have passed with flying colours :laughing: :laughing:

sarah707
21-12-2008, 07:47 PM
:D Hehehe!

It's something I'm writing about at the moment so I've been reading up about them all.

So many cover so much of the eyfs it's impossible to categorise them...

It's great to have done something like this for when you're doing your obs though :D

patevans
21-12-2008, 07:49 PM
:D Hehehe!

It's something I'm writing about at the moment so I've been reading up about them all.

So many cover so much of the eyfs it's impossible to categorise them...

It's great to have done something like this for when you're doing your obs though :D

Yes it makes my life so much easier lol :laughing:

teacake2
21-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I have come up with the solution to Sarah, she isn't one person there are at least a dozen clones of her working on all our problems at once, that can be the only solution surely?;) ;) ;)
Teacake2

ajs
21-12-2008, 07:56 PM
well i've met her a couple of times and she looks like just one person

but i may be wrong

patevans
21-12-2008, 07:58 PM
I think she has her own little workshop of elves :laughing: all busy writing ebooks as we speak :laughing:

Cazz
21-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Well I just want to say thank you for putting this thread on and to Sarah and everyone else that has given replies.

You have no idea how useful this is going to be to me - I've been really worried about how to sort my toys and list them etc ready for my Ofsted visit (to the point of putting off doing it as I was sure I'd get it wrong :blush: )

The week after Christmas I will be putting all my own kids toys in their bedrooms and getting down to sorting the toys and hopefully getting some things in the sales. I now have this thread to refer to and don't need to worry anymore :thumbsup: I love this forum!

Carole x

patevans
14-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I dont have many outdoor toys but what would these come under using the 6 areas of learning?

Outdoor toys
See saw
Trampoline
Swing ball
Space hoppers
Bouncy castle
Trikes
Sand table

sarah707
14-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I dont have many outdoor toys but what would these come under using the 6 areas of learning?

Outdoor toys
See saw
Trampoline
Swing ball
Space hoppers
Bouncy castle
Trikes
Sand table

All physical development for the sake of a list.

But of course if children are sharing the sand toys, that's PSED ... if they are making pictures in the sand that's CD... if they are pretending the trampoline is a stage and putting on a production that's linked with CLL and PSED... if they are investigating a ladybird that's sitting on your trike, that's KUW... if they are parking their trike no 3 in numbered bay no 3, that's PSR&N... etc

:D

Pipsqueak
14-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Sarah - I do reckon you would make the perfect Ofsted inspector - you would be knowledgeable, fair, understanding. lol

sarah707
14-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Sarah - I do reckon you would make the perfect Ofsted inspector - you would be knowledgeable, fair, understanding. lol

Ooooo thanks for that Pip.

I wonder if there's a job opening? :panic: :panic:

Minnie mouse
15-01-2009, 09:33 AM
most ofsted inspectors are ex childminders :laughing:

lushy78
15-01-2009, 02:33 PM
I recently had my ofsted inspection and received outstanding in all areas. I like you all are spent ages sorting my toys, making them accesible and such and do you know the inspector didnt even look at them. In my report she says I have a wide selection of books, I dont know how she knew that as she didnt even look at them. The only real play thing she looked at was my treasure basket which included lots of natural things as well as a survival blanket and a real grapefruit. Obviously was delighted at the result but if only she knew how I'd spent ages wiping each one in antibac till 2 in the morning prior to the inspection!

sarah707
15-01-2009, 06:06 PM
I recently had my ofsted inspection and received outstanding in all areas. I like you all are spent ages sorting my toys, making them accesible and such and do you know the inspector didnt even look at them. In my report she says I have a wide selection of books, I dont know how she knew that as she didnt even look at them. The only real play thing she looked at was my treasure basket which included lots of natural things as well as a survival blanket and a real grapefruit. Obviously was delighted at the result but if only she knew how I'd spent ages wiping each one in antibac till 2 in the morning prior to the inspection!

That just shows how much it depends on the inspector doesn't it?

Mine looked at everything!

Congratulations on your outstanding lushy78 :D

patevans
15-01-2009, 06:13 PM
That just shows how much it depends on the inspector doesn't it?

Mine looked at everything!

Thats the one i'll get, she'll look at everything and she will pick up on something I have forgot to do!! Do the ask about being registered with ICO?

jaz
07-01-2011, 05:30 PM
hiya,

Was just looking at this thread which is fantastic. Just one query tho - would you list all different items e.g. all of the board games that you own?

Thanks

J
x

solly
07-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks everyone who has poted in this, this thread will help me alot as this is the one thing i haven't quite finished:)

AnnieM
07-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I have done a list, but had decided that I was going to photograph everything and make a 'catalogue' for the children to choose from, this thread has been great as I am now going to put them under the areas of learning. :)

singingcactus
07-01-2011, 10:19 PM
I have mine in the 6 areas of development too, but in addition to that, I have a list for baby toys, diversity items, garden, and a separate one for musical instruments too (although I could put them under creative).

I have another set of lists that split into numeracy, literacy, science, humanity/topic, music and art on which I detail toys for kids out of EYFS.

Some items appear on more than one list, but the lists are working lists that I use, and are not solely for the use of OFSTED - although I do show her.

(PS: Is it always a Mrs OFSTED or are there some Mr OFSTEDS too?)

sammc_74
09-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Just want to say thanks to everyone for some fab ideas on how to list they masses of toys and other resources I've aquired over the years. I'm waiting (not so patiently for Mrs Ofsted to send me my certificate) and want to get everything organised before I accept my first mindee.

I think listing everything under the 6 areas of learning is a great idea and makes it a useful working list and not just something to fill and show the lovely inspector when they visit.

I'm really hoping my certificate arrives soon (I made my initial application back in November) as I'm chomping at the bit to use all the lovely topys that are stored neatly in the 'playroom'

:clapping: Thanks for the ideas peeps :clapping:

SandCastles
09-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread, I have just photographed some of my 0-12 month toys before putting them back in storage (lo left last week and I'm gutted) and have just started my first toy catalogue and was thinking of splitting them by age, but after reading this, I am going to split by the 6 areas as it seems to be more of a working document rather than a long list. so a big thank you for saving me a lot of work :clapping: :clapping:

kim-d
10-04-2011, 08:05 AM
This does makes sense to do a list like this it will make life easier and it's a great check list to make sure you have enough resources. :thumbsup: