PDA

View Full Version : Chicken pox wot to do??

Wendy Woo
06-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Hello all on this cold sat nite!!!!!!
Bit of help pls......................
One of my mindees started gettin spots on thurs and apparently has a lot now!!!!
Mom has asked if i can have him next week or not?
I dont think i can as im sure from nursery experience that all the spots have to be scabbed over!! Is this the case?
if not wot is???

ta very much
wend
xx xx xx

berkschick
06-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Yep, all have to be scabed over then they are not catching anymore!

Although I kept a mindee with it as all my kids had already had it and she was the only mindee here that day anyway so made no odds to me.

sue m
06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Aren't they infections for about 2 weeks or something before the spots start to come? They are still infectious until all the spots are dried or scabbed.

Carol
06-12-2008, 10:52 PM
One of my mindees had chicken pox 2 weeks ago. Couldnt have her till spots had scabbed over....... also they are still itchy and what would happen if spots bled and another mindee touched them.

Best not to have them

Carol :o

beerheaven
06-12-2008, 11:10 PM
According to the Health Protection Agency, the advice is to exclude a child for 5 days after the onset of the rash. I believe that a child is most contagious before the spots actually appear.
Hope that helps!

loocyloo
06-12-2008, 11:45 PM
hello!

been here too ... my ds came out with chicken pox in the evening, having spent all day with minded children ... who then had it for their first birthdays! oops!

most contagious for couple of days before spots erupt. i was told child should not then return to setting until no new spots & spots all scabbed over.(apparently this is about a 12 hr wait for spot to scab!?!) 2 of my minded children had it recently (not from us this time!) one was scabbed very quickly, the other had lots of spots between fingers/on hands that didn't scab at all, and i didn't have this child back till cleared, although been told by dr not infectious, i didn't want to risk the spots getting infected by anything we did (out digging in the mud for example!)

i have had a minded child with chicken pox though, as all other minded children had had pox, and child was very well in themself, and we already had a few 'at home' days planned!

xxx

PixiePetal
06-12-2008, 11:56 PM
I have the usual till spots have scabbed policy !

My children have had it but as far as i know, I haven't, don't know how I have avoided it. Been a nanny, mum and CM and all the kids have had it. Doc says I may have had one or two spots and been quite well so not noticed. Terrified of getting it now at 43 :(

gemhei
07-12-2008, 12:02 AM
The illness is infectious for 14 days before the spots apear so if the mindee had spots thursday the chances are the rest of them will get it :rolleyes: . Its hit round here like the plague so i warned parents and advised if they get it to bring them in because it would have been in the house anyway for last 2 weeks. The spots stop being contagious (sp) when they are scabbed over.

don the duck
07-12-2008, 08:23 AM
The illness is infectious for 14 days before the spots apear so if the mindee had spots thursday the chances are the rest of them will get it :rolleyes: . Its hit round here like the plague so i warned parents and advised if they get it to bring them in because it would have been in the house anyway for last 2 weeks. The spots stop being contagious (sp) when they are scabbed over.

this is what i would do. my son also had it for his first christmas he missed out on all the parties and then a few months later he gave me shingles and it really knocked me about.

Its more contactious when u dont even though they have it. so germs have already passed through the setting and children.

bubbly
07-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I myself had chickenpox back in April. Dr told me children could still come to my setting if I was well enough to work (which I wasn't). Dr said it was best for the children to catch it when young as you get a milder form. By the time I was diagnosed, I'd already passed it on to the baby I was minding and then my own son caught it too.

marion123
07-12-2008, 05:10 PM
my son got chicken pox at the age on 3 in turkey, then 3 weeks later my daughter got them at our caravan then last yr my daughter got them again and passed them on to my son 3 week later i got the shingles og my son not good but you can catch them twice :(

Chatterbox Childcare
07-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I think you need to look at your setting. If you had this child would you be able to go out with the other children.

I have 2 off with CP but I couldn't take the other 2 out so I said No until the last one had scabbed over - they were off for 6 days.

I have a friend whose daughter has CP and cannot go out so gave the parents the choice as they all have it.