PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Risk Assesment Forms

andiehanratty
05-12-2008, 01:34 PM
I have been completing my risk assesments on a form downloaded from the ncma web site, my ofsted inspector said this one was not detailed enough to get me an outstanding which is what i want to aim for is there anyone out there who has an outstanding grade that wouldnt mind sharing their risk assesment format with me.

I am not sure what they are expecting i thought that the ncma paperwork would be good enough

sarah707
05-12-2008, 02:26 PM
I think most people on here use the risk assessments from Bromley here -

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/eyfs/risk.html

I sell an e-book all about risk assessing - it's on my website. :D

tammys-tots
11-12-2008, 08:04 PM
I have been completing my risk assesments on a form downloaded from the ncma web site, my ofsted inspector said this one was not detailed enough to get me an outstanding which is what i want to aim for is there anyone out there who has an outstanding grade that wouldnt mind sharing their risk assesment format with me.

I am not sure what they are expecting i thought that the ncma paperwork would be good enough

I used bromley childminding one for mine, she was happy with that and its free. www.bromleycma.org.uk

miffy
11-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Perhaps you ought to let NCMA know what the inspector said about their risk assessment :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

annmar1a
03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I went on a health and safety course in November. Up until that time I was using the Bromley risk assesments. The course tutor said that this type of risk assesment was only hazard analysis. He gave us different forms which you can work out the risk over the benefit the child would or would not gain from the activity.

hello kitty
04-01-2009, 10:01 AM
I think if you google "5 steps to risk assessment" lots of forms should come up.

The headings for your form should be,

Look for hazards,
Who might be harmed and how,
Evaluate the risks,
Record findings,
Review, assess and revise.

I also use the Bromley ones but according to the course I went on these headings should be used.

I have about 10 of these to update, I did ask my hubby if he fancied helping me do them but he just grunted and went back to playing his PS3 game!!

Tily Bud
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
I went on a health and safety course in November. Up until that time I was using the Bromley risk assesments. The course tutor said that this type of risk assesment was only hazard analysis. He gave us different forms which you can work out the risk over the benefit the child would or would not gain from the activity.

:eek: I think I might be doing it wrong :(

Zoemum2four
27-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks kitty just been on google and got the 5 steps to risk assessment and now i think i will re-do mine.....:laughing:

Happy Feet
27-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I googled it too.....found a very intersting pdf file from the hse, definitely worth a look peeps!

I just typed in '5 steps to risk assessment'

xx

chezzagriff
19-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Have people put a risk rating next to each one? eg. low, medium or high. Also is this the rating before or after the controls in place?

Penny1959
20-01-2012, 05:06 AM
Interesting thread - and especially the OP.

You say your ofsted inspector said they were not detailed enough for outstanding - does this mean you have just had an inspection and did not get an outstanding because of your RA's?

Or was your last inspection a while ago and you are now reflecting on practice and making changes?

Or was it a local authourity advisor (whatever they are called in your area) who gave an OPINION on the risk assessments?

I am just interested as I do not do any of the 'detailed' RA's mentioned in this thread, in my everyday practice - I do use my own version of an annual RA based on the NCMA network one - and I have outstanding (and I know other forum members use a similar systen to me - and also have outstanding) - so wondering who it was who gave you this advice?

Of course there is nothing wrong with reflecting on your practice - in fact is a must - or implementing new systems IF they are going to work for your setting and help keep the children safe - however there is no 'set' way to RA - there is no requirement to fill in certain types of forms. The EYFS just says must carry out a full RA of setting at least once a year and must RA outings.

Ofsted do a fact sheet on the requirement for Risk Assessments - it might be worth reading it - if you have not already done so.

Those who have provided information about different RA's have found they work for them - so I suggest you look at all of them and then decide which of them (or which bits of them) you will use to create your own RA

The other thing to note is the current EYFS is being replaced and the last inspections based on it will be end July/ begin August 2012 with the revised EYFS being implemented in Sept 2012 - we know the requirement for RA's is changing - but until the final version of the revised EYFS is published (Spring 2012) NO ONE not even the DfE or Ofsted actually know what the requirement for RA will be.

Having said all that - if it was a Ofsted inspector who said that the NCMA RA's are not detailed enough - please do as Miffy suggests and let NCMA know - as they will take it up with Ofsted - and make changes if needed. However if was a LA person saying it - well that is just their opinion, you can of course tell NCMA but I don't think one persons view will change things.

Penny :)

miffy
20-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Interesting thread - and especially the OP.

You say your ofsted inspector said they were not detailed enough for outstanding - does this mean you have just had an inspection and did not get an outstanding because of your RA's?

Or was your last inspection a while ago and you are now reflecting on practice and making changes?

Or was it a local authourity advisor (whatever they are called in your area) who gave an OPINION on the risk assessments?

I am just interested as I do not do any of the 'detailed' RA's mentioned in this thread, in my everyday practice - I do use my own version of an annual RA based on the NCMA network one - and I have outstanding (and I know other forum members use a similar systen to me - and also have outstanding) - so wondering who it was who gave you this advice?

Of course there is nothing wrong with reflecting on your practice - in fact is a must - or implementing new systems IF they are going to work for your setting and help keep the children safe - however there is no 'set' way to RA - there is no requirement to fill in certain types of forms. The EYFS just says must carry out a full RA of setting at least once a year and must RA outings.

Ofsted do a fact sheet on the requirement for Risk Assessments - it might be worth reading it - if you have not already done so.

Those who have provided information about different RA's have found they work for them - so I suggest you look at all of them and then decide which of them (or which bits of them) you will use to create your own RA

The other thing to note is the current EYFS is being replaced and the last inspections based on it will be end July/ begin August 2012 with the revised EYFS being implemented in Sept 2012 - we know the requirement for RA's is changing - but until the final version of the revised EYFS is published (Spring 2012) NO ONE not even the DfE or Ofsted actually know what the requirement for RA will be.

Having said all that - if it was a Ofsted inspector who said that the NCMA RA's are not detailed enough - please do as Miffy suggests and let NCMA know - as they will take it up with Ofsted - and make changes if needed. However if was a LA person saying it - well that is just their opinion, you can of course tell NCMA but I don't think one persons view will change things.

Penny, this is a very old thread - original post was Dec 2008.

Miffy xx

Penny1959
20-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Penny, this is a very old thread - original post was Dec 2008.

Miffy xx

Thanks Miffy - did not spot that! :blush:

Gracie's mamma
14-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Could you tell me how often i should update my Risk Assessment , i'm talking about the one from Bromley which has a list if the rooms, risk and action.

rickysmiths
14-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I up date mine as and when something changes or at least once a year.