PDA

View Full Version : How much should I charge for a second child in same family?

karent30
23-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi I am Karen.
I haven't been minding long. I have a parent with 2 after schoolers who wants a discount for the second child. I charge £3.15 per hour and I am happy to offer a discount but unsure of what I should charge for the second child(Eldest child). I would appreciate any comments.Thanks:D

Spangles
23-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm sorry I can't help you as not done this yet. Not sure I would offer a discount though, depends how many hours I had them for I guess.

Sorry, not much help!

Lou
23-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Karen and welcome to the forum.

I have just answered another thread about this.....

Is the second child over 8??? if so i might be inclined to offer maybe 50p an hour reduction.

If child is under 8 i personally wouldnt offer a reduction as they are taking up a space

just my opinion

manjay
23-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I do not offer discount for siblings. The way I look at it is they are both taking up a space even if they are over 8 as my insurance limits the amount of children. BUT it is your business so you have to do what you are comfortable with.

amanda xx

gailee
23-01-2008, 07:41 PM
i wouldn't give a discount but if i did it would be 25p ph will you provide a snack for them when they come i know some minders charge 4 meals ,so you don't won't to lose out gail

charleyfarley
23-01-2008, 07:44 PM
I offer 50p discount for second child but it really is up to you as they do still take up a space

Carol xx

katickles
23-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah as everyone says, remember that they are taking up a space. I take it thois lady has used a childminder before or is this the first time? Maybe find out from her what she has paid in the past (If she's used one that is), but like amanda says - this is your business:p
x

buildingblocks
23-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't offer a sibling reduction no matter what the age. I used to and found myself regretting it as most of the families I have cared for have been more than one child. Also remember the older they are the more they eat!!!!

berkschick
23-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I dont offer a reduction either for the same reasons as above!

Debbie

sarah707
23-01-2008, 08:41 PM
If you do decide to offer a reduction for a 2nd child, make the 2nd child the oldest... that way you will keep the most money coming in from the youngest child for the longest time! :D

buildingblocks
24-01-2008, 07:47 PM
If you do decide to offer a reduction for a 2nd child, make the 2nd child the oldest... that way you will keep the most money coming in from the youngest child for the longest time! :D

A word of warning this happened to a friend of mine. She had it stated on contracts that sibling reduction applied to older child so in holidays mum would send oldest child and not youngest so she had to charge the reduced fee and lost out big time. She now states in her contracts that for reduction to apply more than one child must be present.

Lincsminder
24-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I wouldn't give a reduction for a sibling after school because they are still taking up a space and I do a cooked meal and I am sure they would be eating just as much.
Caroline

sarah707
24-01-2008, 09:00 PM
A word of warning this happened to a friend of mine. She had it stated on contracts that sibling reduction applied to older child so in holidays mum would send oldest child and not youngest so she had to charge the reduced fee and lost out big time. She now states in her contracts that for reduction to apply more than one child must be present.

There really are some nasty people out there! What a horrible way to treat a childminder she is supposed to be 'working in partnership' with.... and Ofsted wonder why we despair sometimes :rolleyes:

JOANNE
26-01-2008, 03:04 PM
No, i don`t offer a reduction for a sibling either- they are taking up a space that could be filled by a full paying child. :panic:

Twinkles
26-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't offer a reduction as such. But if the older child is over eight then I do a reduced rate for the school holidays ( after all they don't affect your numbers ).

Melanie
27-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm such a noob to all this!!!

I charge half rate for siblings... and I don't charge for meals...or for toddler group... or bus fare to school.... or for breakfast club for my own children because the oldest of the family I mind goes to pre-school on the other side of town....:panic: :angry: :censored:

ajs
27-01-2008, 11:18 PM
start getting tougher melanie

i am interested in the answer to this as one of my mums is pregnant i currently have the lo 24 hours a week so will probably have the baby the same i know mum can't afford to pay £7.50 an hour for two so i will have to reduce it a bit but don't know what to as i definately don't want to lose them
oh i hate the money side of the business

angeldelight
28-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I charge £3 an hour per child

If I have another child from the same family I charge £5 an hour for the two of them

So I do a reduction of a pound

Angel xx

LittleMissSparkles
28-01-2008, 09:12 AM
I dont offer discounts at all xxx

Banana
28-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I currently give a 50p reduction for one child but only because i only have him once in a blue moon and I dont mind. But I dont currently offer any other discounts

x