PDA

View Full Version : Front Seat?

Lou
04-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Can anyone tell me what the law is regarding children sitting in the front seat of the car?

crazybones
04-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Havent read it all for the relevant bit but.....
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

louised
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Not sure about the law but most car manufacturers recommend that no child under 12 years should travel in the front seat as airbags can do serious damage to a child. Car seats must never be used in a passenger seat where the airbag is activated and they can only be deactivated by the manufacturer.

cher25
04-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Baby car seats that face backwards are not allowed in the front seat where there is an airbag. However forward facing seats and booster seats are allowed, although i only do that if i really have to and i push the seat as far back as it can possibly go.

Rubybubbles
04-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Not sure about the law but most car manufacturers recommend that no child under 12 years should travel in the front seat as airbags can do serious damage to a child. Car seats must never be used in a passenger seat where the airbag is activated and they can only be deactivated by the manufacturer.

my insurance covers me when i deactivate using the switch in my car for the airbag

FizzysFriends
04-12-2008, 02:16 PM
My daughter has always sat in the front of the car.

Lou
04-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks all.

I have read your link Annie, and going by that it is ok for a child to be in the front as long as they are in the correct restraint??

I only rely use my car to go places in day time with little ones, but i am hoping for a variation next year to have 4 under 5s.

I have a renault scenic, and i can get 3 second stage car seats in back but if i had 4 little ones i would need to use front seat.

Thats why i am confused.

Anyone know how i turn off the air bag or do i need to take it renault dealer?

funtoplay
04-12-2008, 02:44 PM
I used to have a renault scenic and you couldn't turn it off. In my picasso now you can using a key by the door. You could try the manufacturer but then that would disable it permanently meaning any adult travelling would not have the protection. I guess it is a question of weighing up priorities and who will be travelling in your car most!

J

tomthumb
04-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Check your car manual. I cannot disable my airbag but I can put a forward facing car seat at the front as long as the seat is all the way back.

Elodie X

Annie_T
04-12-2008, 04:18 PM
you can carry a child in the front as long as they are in correct seat and if rear facing the airbag is switched off ... which most people can do themself's (look in manual how to do this)

id only use the front if the back is full, i ahte using middle rear seat so if i have to one will go in front (i put my eldest in front when have to, when i start minding it will also be my eldest in front not a mindee)

Hebs
04-12-2008, 04:37 PM
I have a renault scenic, and i can get 3 second stage car seats in back but if i had 4 little ones i would need to use front seat.

Anyone know how i turn off the air bag or do i need to take it renault dealer?

Open your driver door and on the dashboard (but at the side) you should see a little knob that says on/off thats how you turn it off :thumbsup:

i have a renault grand scenic, was told by Ofsted that ALL seats (inc rear seats) can be used for minding inc car seats

HTH

Rubybubbles
04-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Open your driver door and on the dashboard (but at the side) you should see a little knob that says on/off thats how you turn it off :thumbsup:

i have a renault grand scenic, was told by Ofsted that ALL seats (inc rear seats) can be used for minding inc car seats

HTH

this is what I have on my car

RGS:thumbsup: too

Hebs
04-12-2008, 05:50 PM
fab cars arn't they :clapping:

Rubybubbles
04-12-2008, 05:52 PM
fab cars arn't they :clapping:

shame we have to fill them with horrid kids:laughing:

Hebs
07-12-2008, 12:52 PM
:laughing:

i know what you mean :laughing:

Minnie mouse
07-12-2008, 12:59 PM
my renault manufacturer would not disable my air bag so i had to have it done by a garage. as i have children in the front more than i do adults and i didnt want to risk children in front with air bag :)