PDA

View Full Version : Baby sleeping in car seat

venus89
04-12-2008, 12:52 PM
The new baby I mind (just 6 months old) has - as his Mum puts it - 'some difficulty getting to sleep'. He's basically used to being rocked to sleep or cuddled to sleep.
Now, for two weeks I've had him I've been rocking him to sleep in the car seat which has worked perfectly well and also leaves the travel cot free for the older children. But will the OFSTED inspector object to that if I tell her - which is true - that on the days when there are no others here then I'm trying (without success so far!) to settle him in the travel cot?

Andrea08
04-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Mrs Ofsted will just want to see Parent partnership working together for the best of the child,
have a written sleeeping plan that you and parent signs and update it etc,
what you are doing is fine and if mum happy and baby happy!!!
just keep trying to put bay in different bed to sleep like your travel cot as when baby too big to sleep in car seat its going to be very hard work

good luck xx

don the duck
04-12-2008, 01:19 PM
i have the same problem. my baby i have gets rocked in a boucy chair to sleep.

venus89
04-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Thank you x

Blaze
04-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Just wanted to point out that it isn't recommended that babies are kept in car seats for longer than 30 mins (at a max) without a break...:)

Andrea08
04-12-2008, 01:48 PM
blaze is right , keep trying the cot good luck

mandy moo
04-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I have a smilar experiance in that my mindee is 15mth and long (head 2 toethat is)
Mum lets him sleep in his buggy at home, which must be longer than mine, coz in mine his feet are begginingto stick out the end.
Also how on earth, as they get bigger can they have a restfull sleep, if they too big to sleep in said buggy,
So had a word with mum and whilst LO at my house, he will sleep in travel cot (which he doesnt like) and we are doing the controlled crying thing (mums suggestion) and its slowly beggining to work..
dont give up yet

Annie_T
04-12-2008, 04:46 PM
The new baby I mind (just 6 months old) has - as his Mum puts it - 'some difficulty getting to sleep'. He's basically used to being rocked to sleep or cuddled to sleep.
Now, for two weeks I've had him I've been rocking him to sleep in the car seat which has worked perfectly well and also leaves the travel cot free for the older children. But will the OFSTED inspector object to that if I tell her - which is true - that on the days when there are no others here then I'm trying (without success so far!) to settle him in the travel cot?

they wont mind as long as you get parent to sign a slip/letter stating they are happy for this to happen. this is what my pre reg inspector told me to do if i wanted use buggy for them to sleep in (its ok if fall sleep while using it tho .. bit confusing but i know what she ment

gemhei
04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
I dont know what the rules are on car seats as they are dangerous for children to sleep in due to the affect they have on babies spines. I wouldnt recommend it and id try to get/make something i could rock him in rather than a car seat. As for ofsted i suppose it depends on which inspector you get on which day lol, but i wouldnt of thought theyd be too happy. Saying that if parents request this what can you do?

berkschick
04-12-2008, 09:32 PM
When G first started, I had to rock her to sleep in her carseat. But I soon changed this to rocking her in Ella's pram as G was tiny and it was flat. After a few months she was getting a bit long for it so I moved to the buggy but then realised that once she was asleep, I could transfer her to the cot. I transfered her for about 5 months then I started rocking her into a light sleep so that she stired when I transfered her and learnt to re-settle herself. Now I bung her up in the cot awake and dont hear a peep for 2 hours :D She still has Mum and Dad walking round and round with her till she drops off and Dad often takes her for a drive to get her to sleep!

Hang in there though, it WILL get better!

donnahay0
05-12-2008, 07:59 AM
I agree with the others about getting LO into a travel cot as soon as possible. About Ofsted - it will really depend on what your particular inspector feels about it.